DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Proposed Flash XDR Playback Function (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/143441-proposed-flash-xdr-playback-function.html)

Mike Schell February 9th, 2009 08:48 PM

Proposed Flash XDR Playback Function

We should have a firmware release shortly which allows 3 different modes of playback out of the Flash XDR:

1) Play All
2) Play Last Clip
3) Play From

Play From is the newest edition. In this mode, you will see a list of files and then be able to select any file and press the play button. XDR will then play forward in time until you hit the stop button. If you want to replay from the same point, then you can simply hit the play button again.

The latest firmware version allows for the creation of smaller file sizes (from 10% to 100%). Smaller file size allow a finer granularity in the playback, so you can more precisely find that critical section of video for playback and import into your NLE.

Any comments or recommendations?

Best-

Perrone Ford February 9th, 2009 09:24 PM

Mike,

One of the things I mentioned last year for the user interface was an iPod like control wheel. I know the unit doesn't have that, but the idea of being able to scrub back and forth through footage like on the iPod would certainly be welcome. Similar to the 10x FFWD and REV on a deck. You may not know the file where you want to start, but a glance of the timecode (assuming you have shot logs or timecode reference somewhere) would probably be most welcome.

I'm really excited to see the development you guys are getting with this unit. There are a few things I'd love to see included, but since I've gone from being a potential customer, to "waiting on the sidelines", I am just watching now. This stupid economy is really hurting.

Mike Schell February 9th, 2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1009506)
Mike,

One of the things I mentioned last year for the user interface was an iPod like control wheel. I know the unit doesn't have that, but the idea of being able to scrub back and forth through footage like on the iPod would certainly be welcome. Similar to the 10x FFWD and REV on a deck. You may not know the file where you want to start, but a glance of the timecode (assuming you have shot logs or timecode reference somewhere) would probably be most welcome.

Hi Perrone-
Great suggestions! I don't know when (or if) FFWD and REV will be implemented, as we are still investigating. However, we do plan to display the file name and the starting time code for each clip. So you can use this information for the shot logs or to identify a particular clip for playback.

Best-

James Huenergardt February 10th, 2009 03:06 AM

What about looping playback?

1. Loop a single clip.
2. Play all clips, and loop back to start again.

Dan Keaton February 10th, 2009 06:06 AM

Dear Perrone,

We currently have a Looping Playback function.

It will loop on a single clip or all of the clips.

Jeff Silverman February 10th, 2009 04:13 PM

How about skip to next clip/previous clip using the right and left arrows. That way you could simply find clips in a more natural way than guessing timecode.

Jeff

Mike Schell February 10th, 2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman (Post 1009911)
How about skip to next clip/previous clip using the right and left arrows. That way you could simply find clips in a more natural way than guessing timecode.

Jeff

Hi Jeff-
Excellent suggestion. I just spoke to our software developer and he is adding to the code. We should have a beta version in a few more days. During playback we will display the file name, the starting time-code and the current time-code (as you play through the clip).

We are also adding code to detect HD-SDI glitches so that the box will auto-restart if an error occurs on the incoming signal. The initial code release will close the current file and reopen a new file, so you will loose 5-6 seconds of video. A later version will repeat the frame until the box can re-lock and re-sync to the incoming HD-SDI.

Best-

Mike Schell February 15th, 2009 10:37 PM

Flash XDR Playback

Hi Jeff-
As a follow-on note to the playback function, we have decided to use the left and right arrows to advance through the files and the up and down arrows to advance through the clips (or takes). A clip is created each time you hit the record button and can consist of one or more files (at 100Mbps, each file is about 5 minutes in length).

This functionality should actually be much faster and more natural than the traditional fast-forward and rewind found on tape decks. This method allows you to quickly jump from take to take and then to move about inside the "take" in 5 minutes chunks.

We just added code to allow changes in the file size from 100% down to 10% of max value (about 3.6GB). So, you can get even finer resolution into a segment of video.

Best-

Bill Ravens February 16th, 2009 07:28 AM

Hi Mike...

I do many, many short takes in a day of shooting. Perhaps a dozen 20 second takes. In between each take I shut down the XDR to save battery power for the 15-20 minute checkout of the take on a laptop. I am finding that the shutdown delay is somewhat inconvenient. Is it practical to shorten the time one has to hold down the OFF button? I understand that the delay is designed to prevent inadvertent shutdown, but, I think the delay is excessive.

Jeff Silverman February 16th, 2009 01:05 PM

I agree with Bill. The delay is excessive.

Also again I would vote for clip advance on left/right and file advance on up down. We work in clips not in files. Left right is the most logical and convenient. For those enthralled with files they can have up and down.

Jeff

Mike Schell February 16th, 2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman (Post 1013020)
I agree with Bill. The delay is excessive.

Also again I would vote for clip advance on left/right and file advance on up down. We work in clips not in files. Left right is the most logical and convenient. For those enthralled with files they can have up and down.

Jeff

Hi Jeff-
OK, I agree, the power off delay takes too long, we'll put it on our list for a reduction.

Also, no problem switching the clip to clip navigation to the right and left arrows (file navigation to the up and down arrows). In the tests I just completed, the box is switching seamlessly from file to file. I don't see any glitches on the HD-SDI monitor. We'll add the clip to clip navigation shortly.

Best-

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2009 12:47 AM

Dear Bill and Jeff,

Yes, we all agree that the power down delay is excessive at approximately 8 seconds.

However, this can not be changed via firmware, it involves a hardware change.

If you are not recording (or playing back), it is perfectly ok just to plug the power plug.

I realize that this is not perfect. We will look into this as Mike suggested.

My current thinking is that about 1 second is enough of a delay to prevent problems.

Mike Schell February 20th, 2009 10:50 AM

Hi Dan-
I misspoke regarding the turn-off delay. After more analysis, it looks like we can control this time via software. I have this on our list for future investigation after we finish some of the more pressing issues, such as enhanced playback, internal time-code generation, etc.