Upcoming nanoFlash Firmware Release at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Convergent Design

Upcoming nanoFlash Firmware Release

Dear nanoFlash users-
We are now in the final stages of tests on a new nanoFlash firmware update. Highlights of this new code include:

1) Golden Image of the operating code will now permantely reside in the nanoFlash. So, in the future, if the firmware update process is interrupted (i.e. your battery dies) you will no longer need to send the unit back to us for repair. The update can simply be restarted.

2) 24p Pull-down removal added. If your video source is aquired at 24p, but outputs at 1080i60, then you will be able to remove the extra frames and record at the native frame rate (24p). This will be especially useful for Canon XL-H1 users. Currently this feature only works for HD-SDI 1080i60 streams. We do plan to add pulldown removal for 720p24 over 60 when the XDCAM 4:2:2 support is avialable in the NLEs. We also plan to add this pull-down removal to the HDMI input in a future release.

3) Added .mpg and .m2v file format support for DVD and Blu-Ray authoring encoding/capture. SD Datarates of 5 and 9 Mbps; HD at 19,25,35 and 50 Mbps.

4) Added Pause function during playback out of the nanoFlash.

5) Fixed a number of open issues, including:
a) DVI color space conversion. The HDMI out color was incorrect when connected to a DVI monitor.
b) HDMI Input compatibility corrected. Some units had HDMI Input issues releated to the EDID memory in the nanoFlash, this is resolved with the new firmware.
c) Analog audio menu fixed. The balanced and stereo input selections were reveresed in the menu.
d) Standard-Def Quicktime recording now working.
e) Eliminated the option to select drop-frame time-code in 23.98p formats.
f) Improved the Compact Flash Interface reliability related to DMA read errors.
g) Allowed wider luma/chroma input values from Cumina Camera.
h) Fixed HDMI-Out audio, which was previously bit-shifted incorrectly.
i) Fixed a Quicktime Time-Code issue when playing out of the nanoFlash
j) Improved playback of FCP exported files (played in nanoFlash).
k) Corrected 220 Mbps I-Frame Only Playout from nanoFlash

Most of these features will be included in a near-term XDR update.

We expect to release this code sometime in the next week after extensive reliability and audio/video sync tests are complete.

Best Regards-

Last edited by Mike Schell; August 25th, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Typo Error
Mike Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Any thoughts on the timetable for hot swappable CF cards?

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Billy,

Hot Swapping is scheduled for our September release.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Would the data rates for the .mpg and .m2v mirror the data rates you can already encode with the nanoflash?
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5
New Boot

is "24p Pull-down removal added" already a feature on XDR as well? or will the XDR be able to do that too?

cohen
Cohen Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Cohen,

The Pulldown Removal feature will be added to the Flash XDR soon.

We use one "Code Base" for both the nanoFlash and Flash XDR. When we add a feature to one, it is automatically added to the other, except for any model specific differences.

When a firmware update for one model occurs, the other will follow as soon as practical. Any delay should be due to testing and documentation processes.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #7
New Boot

well noted. cant wait!
Cohen Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear James,

We have special bit rates for the ".MPG" and ".M2V" file formats.

SD offers 5 and 9 Megabits per second.

HD offers 19, 25, 35, and 50 Megabits per second.

So, with this new feature, the Flash XDR and nanoFlash become real-time hardware encoders for creating DVD or Blu-ray files.

HD-SDI/SD-SDI/HDMI in - Files for DVD or Blu-ray created on the CompactFlash cards come out. These files can then be processed, without further rendering, depending on your DVD/ Blu-ray burning software.

The trick is to ensure that your DVD/ Blu-ray specifications are the same, so as to eliminate the file rendering process.

For example, a DVD could be in 4:3 or 16:9 format and either PCM audio or AC3 audio.

If you create a ".MPG" file with the Flash XDR/nanoFlash in 16:9 with 24-Bit/48K PCM audio, then set your DVD Burning Software to widescreen with 24-Bit/48K PCM audio and the software will not have to re-render your files.

Of course, whether your DVD Burning Software re-renders your files or not is dependent on the level of sophistication of your software.

If you want AC3 instead of PCM audio, then the DVD Burning Software will have to re-render only the audio portion, which is not as time-consuming as re-rendering the video.

Personally, I have done some limited testing with Sony’s DVD Architect, a part of Sony Vegas and it works as described above.

We welcome others to report their experience with this significant new feature once we release the firmware.
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Dan - That is an awesome feature and is exactly what the post house I work at has been looking for. Can't wait for the update to be released.
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear James,

I think it will be very interesting to learn how our friends use this new feature.

I see it as a quicker way to render for DVD's and Blu-ray, and a great way to make a Blu-ray daily.

I wonder if some will consider this for same day edits.
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

This could be a massive time saver on some of the corporate conference jobs I do. Shoot with my EX, downconvert to SD in camera, SDi out to the NanoFlash and record at 5Mb/s onto a 32Gb card giving over 8 hours of record time (I think). Then very quick export to a set of DVD's. Couldn't make the job any simpler.
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Dan - I work with Tom Piozet who I know has worked with some of your partners on the nanoflash and we started talking about how film festivals, especially the Santa Barbara International Film, could use the nanoflash for projection instead of dealing with many tape formats and decks. Still playing with the idea but the nanoflash seems like it will have many uses for us.
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear James,

We feel that the nanoFlash is just great for film festivals.

It is reliable, does not suffer from heat problems, does not skip, and provides very high quality images.

One can take a Final Cut Pro timeline, render it to our specifications, then using a utility that we will be offering, create files on CompactFlash cards for playback on the nanoFlash.

I feel that it is such a shame when someone works so hard to make an independent film, then have mechanical or image quality problems during the projection.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Major Player

Yes that's great.
Whatever I play through my ioHD can be converted in real time in a high quality MPEG-2 DVD or BR compliant.
Good by compression time.
Amazing.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Trustee

Make The Blu-ray While You Shoot it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
This could be a massive time saver on some of the corporate conference jobs I do. Shoot with my EX, downconvert to SD in camera, SDi out to the NanoFlash and record at 5Mb/s onto a 32Gb card giving over 8 hours of record time (I think). Then very quick export to a set of DVD's. Couldn't make the job any simpler.
....I look forward to seeing this realtime capture to DVD & Blu-ray formats on the Flash XDR/nanoFlash. We also had this idea for our new SD Card SSDR concept, only we want to take it one step further and have pre-programmed 5 splash screen templates for SD DVD in 4:3 & 16 x 9, and 5 in 16 x 9 Blu-ray. You hit a menu button and one card transfers the files over and builds an .ISO DVD or Blu-ray .ISO image onto another card. Sound impossible, well we've researched it thoroughly and no it's not - It's quite doable actually. To do this you just copy and re-wrap (Build to folders to make the image) on the other card. Simple, easy and saves time on corporate and Kiosk DVD projects. You shoot the demo of the President's message, then hit the button. One cannot have something any simpler. This would be a killer application especially on Flash XDR, because you have more memmory cards to play with, but there's no reason why it couldn't be incorporated into the nanoFlash as well.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey