DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Canon 7D and the Flash/Nano...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/359032-canon-7d-flash-nano.html)

Ofer Levy September 4th, 2009 05:37 AM

Canon 7D and the Flash/Nano...?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea whether the new Canon 7D will work with the Flash/Nano or is it the same as the 5D Mark 2 in this respect.

Thanks,
Http://oferlevyphotography.com

Dan Keaton September 4th, 2009 07:13 AM

Dear Ofer,

The Flash XDR / nanoFlash will not work with the Canon 5D Mark II or the Canon 7D at this time.

Deke Kincaid September 7th, 2009 11:05 PM

Currently the hdmi export only outputs an SD stream. The people working on the Magic Lantern firmware hack trying to output full 1080p but they haven't had any luck with that yet.

Ofer Levy September 7th, 2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deke Kincaid (Post 1325789)
Currently the hdmi export only outputs an SD stream. The people working on the Magic Lantern firmware hack trying to output full 1080p but they haven't had any luck with that yet.

Thanks Deke,
However the report by the BBC which basically ruled out the 5D Mark 2 and I assume the 7D as a HD camera due to the aliasing - put me off. I was so excited about this camera but I will have to wait for the Scarlet if it will ever become a reality....
Cheers,
Ofer

Deke Kincaid September 7th, 2009 11:50 PM

Don't quote me on this but someone told me the 7D aliasing issue is because it doesn't actually do full 1080p. It is 1920x540 and doubling the horizontal lines.

Deke Kincaid September 7th, 2009 11:52 PM

scarlet is quite a different ballpark in price. Like the Red One, yes it does start at a low price for the body but your going to easily spend double to get pieces enough to actually run it.

Steve Phillipps September 8th, 2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deke Kincaid (Post 1325895)
scarlet is quite a different ballpark in price. Like the Red One, yes it does start at a low price for the body but your going to easily spend double to get pieces enough to actually run it.

Still ridiculously cheap and attractive for the features it promises. Looks so cool too!
Just a question of whether we'll see it before 2020!
Steve

Dan Keaton September 8th, 2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deke Kincaid (Post 1325789)

Dear Deke,

I saw that information, that the Canon 7D outputs SD only.

I believe that information is misleading.

Yes, the Canon 7D outputs SD via the HDMI ouptut, while the camera is recording.

In Live View, without the camera recording, it outputs HD, but it is not a clean signal, in other words, there are icons on the screen that can not be removed via any standard menu item. This is the same as the Canon 5D Mark II.

With Trammell Hudson's firmware, Magic Lantern, for the Canon 5D Mark II, then the image is clean, but it is not a full screen HD image. It is pillarboxed. Again, just like the Canon 5D Mark II.

If Trammell performs his magic with the 7D, then he should be able to remove all of the icons.

As much as we would love to use the nanoFlash with the 5D Mark II and 7D, it is not practical at this moment in time.

Nor can I predict the future. We may be able, at some point in the future to be where the nanoFlash will record the HDMI output of these cameras and then we will be dependent on the HD signals that these wonderful cameras provide us.

Deke Kincaid September 16th, 2009 11:42 PM

apparently the magic lantern guys have full 1080i output from the hdmi port without any overlays. Hopefully Ill have time in the next week or two to try it with my flash xdr.

Magic Lantern - 1080i while recording on Vimeo