Please help me identify this part (V-mount shoe wedge plate) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Please help me identify this part (V-mount shoe wedge plate)

Hi guys, I've been looking for a couple months trying to find a V-mount wedge shoe. I am reaching the point of frustration. I purchased a part via special order that I thought was correct from filmtools.com but it was the wrong part.

I found a picture of the part I need in another thread on this forum, but the part is not identified in that thread either. The picture is attached to the thread.

I really only need the silver V shaped wedge part but the black bracket surrounding it would be helpful.

This part is pretty common so I'm not sure why it's so hard to locate. I've done hundreds of google searches, using every combination of quick release, v-mount, wedge, bracket, tripod plate, etc, that I can think of.

This part is on every pro video camera like Sony or Panasonic. The wedge is mounted to the bottom of the camera and allows the camera to mate with the quick release tripod plate, like a Sony VCT-U14 plate for example.

I've considered trying to make a little silver wedge plate but it's kind of tricky to get it just right and I don't have the tools for it.

Considering how common this part is, I'm a little surprised that I have not been able to find it, so now I'm turning to the power of the internets. I can only hope that there are enough eyes on this thread to gather some useful input from someone who knows where to get one of these!
Attached Images

Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Aaron,

We buy the 'shoe' all the time to mount to the bottom of X-Mo, our HD high speed camera system, but not from Sony. I shouldn't tell you this but my suggestion is to look on e-bay using the search 'sony dxc' or 'sony bvw' and look for a parts camera. Many times you can buy an entire betacam (DXC-537 or BVW-300) for about $100. We rob the plate you are looking for, maybe the Anton Bauer Gold mount plate and several other parts. All for way less than you can buy from Sony direct.

If you do wish to buy a new one from Sony the following is the whole assembly.

A7612385E SHOE (B) ASSY, V $187.14

Here's the website.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

Happy hunting,

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Major Player

There is an entire Sony camera head on eBay for $49 (listed for parts). Hard to believe you can buy an entire camera for 1/4 the cost of a tiny little part.
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

If that mates with the IDX/Sony V-Mount, we make that part.

It is part of a V-Mount Backplate that we build for the nanoFlash.

Our V-Mount Backplate is designed to mount on the back of the nanoFlash, so it can be mounted to a Sony/IDX V-Mount as if it was a V-Mount Battery.

(This is a mechanical connection only, no power is supplied nor taken.)

Our V-Mount part has three holes for screws. If you have to have a designed hole pattern, just let me know. Ours is powder-coated aluminum.
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Dan, do you have a picture of what this looks like. I've already purchased one part that didn't work because I was unable to see a picture.
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

This is not a great picture, but it is a picture of our V-Mount Backplate:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ting-nano.html
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes Dan I see the picture. This appears to be the wrong one. This is the one I purchased from filmtools.com.

I think this is the IDX V-mount. When looking at the bottom of the male shoe from the front (small part of the V), the cutout for the locking pin should be on on the right side, like in my picture above.

The V-mount wedge in your picture is like the one I got from filmtools.com. The cutout for the locking pin is on the left. This won't work.

I see some old Sony cameras on ebay that do have the correct plate on it, anywhere from $50-$150. This may be my best option to get this since Sony sells the plate for a whopping $187!

Seems a shame to buy an entire camera just for a tiny little plate.
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

We made our V-Mount work with the IDX Battery V-Mounts.

I am assuming that you application is different.

I can confirm that our slot is on the other side.

If you have one, we can duplicate it, but a one-off part requires a fair amount of machinist time.
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Aaron,

The part you originally pictured is the part of the camera which mates with the quick release tripod plate, not a battery.

If you are looking for an IDX part let me know. What are you trying to do?

The IDX part is PV-2. It lists for $95 (and can be gotten a bit cheaper). You would then take a power tap connector to 4 pin Hirose to power the Nano. I am not sure the hole pattern lines up but it does line up on a XDR.

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Is this the part you are after?

DM-Accessories - VCT-WEDGE Mount for VCT Quick Release Mounts
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman View Post
Aaron,

The part you originally pictured is the part of the camera which mates with the quick release tripod plate, not a battery.

If you are looking for an IDX part let me know. What are you trying to do?

The IDX part is PV-2. It lists for $95 (and can be gotten a bit cheaper). You would then take a power tap connector to 4 pin Hirose to power the Nano. I am not sure the hole pattern lines up but it does line up on a XDR.

Jeff
Yes you are correct. The plate I show pictured above is the same shoe that is on the bottom of sony professional cameras. It connects the camera to the tripod plate, like I said in my original posting. This is the kind of shoe I'm looking for. It has nothing to do with a battery. It is not an IDX part. I'm not trying to solve a power problem, I'm trying to solve a mounting problem.

The XDR is very easy to power, it just uses a standard XLR 4 pin power connector.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Alister, this is perfect!!! $59 whooo hooo. They have exactly what I'm looking for on that site. Too bad it's sold out. I'm going to search and see if I can find anyone who has one. This is a lot better than paying $100 for an old betacam just to get a plate from the bottom.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #13
Inner Circle

It's only the grey ones which are sold out. I believe they are in stock in black.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Inner Circle

VF Gadgets have then too.

EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate System | VFGadgets.com

scroll down the page a little.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Major Player

Oh wait, just the gray is sold out. The black is in stock. Ordering ...
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey