DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nanoflash Mounting Option for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/435754-nanoflash-mounting-option-ex1.html)

Barry J. Weckesser September 24th, 2009 08:13 PM

Nanoflash Mounting Option for EX1

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post some pics of a mounting option for the Nanoflash on the EX1. I wanted something that was on camera but wouldn't clutter the top of the camera and could be on a platform that one could easily take in and out of a camera bag without taking cable and wires apart. Thanks to Forrest Burger posting a picture of a Quick Release Pro on the forum- Quick Release Pro - I got the idea for the setup. Also thanks to Alex Dolgin for the EX-V battery adaptor EX-V adapter that allows me to power both the camera and the Nanoflash from a Sony BP-U60 battery. Also thanks to Dan Keaton of Convergent Design for all his help.

I find the QRPro2 plate does add some hand-held stability of the camera - if I hold the camera soley with my right hand the bottom of the plate rests against my arm and the camera doesn't do it's usual "flip" to the right - also the back of the plate can be rested against your chest (and arm) while making manual adjustments with your left hand. Leaving the large Sony battery off the back of the camera allows access to the Nanoflash buttons - using the U30 you could still access them.

I haven't had a chance to try this out with my new shoulder mount from Shape-WLB - Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200 but it should work ok as I have tried it with the QRPro 2 already.

I case you are wondering - the Nanoflash and battery are attached to the QRPro2 with Velcro - the mounting plate comes with the bottom covered with Velcro (the fuzzy part) and you just put the loop Velcro on the Nano and battery - they key is not putting too much Velcro on - just a relatively small strip holds the Nano and battery very securely.

I have a Mafrotto Quick Release plate attached to the bottom of the QRPro 2 so it can quickly go on and off the tripod (and also the shoulder mount for that matter).

Michael Sims September 24th, 2009 08:30 PM

It looks like a pretty good set up. How do you attach your nanoflash and others to the plate?
I think this would be perfect for my Lectrosonics receiver, battery, and nanoflash (when I order it soon). Thanks.

Dan Keaton September 25th, 2009 12:33 AM

Dear Barry,

Thank you for posting pictures of your camera and mount.

This mount weighs much less than it looks. I was very surprised how light it was when I first picked it up.

Dear Michael,

The mounting areas of the device come with Velcro material already attached to the front and rear shelf.

This is very nice and offers a very convenient, non-scratch area to mount your equipment.

We built a custom HD-SDI cable for Barry. We should probably build another just slightly longer.

Ramji Meena September 25th, 2009 01:55 AM

BNC cable

Hi Keaton
I just want to know the type of cable which can connect my PMW EX3 to nanoflash recorder.I used a normal BNC and found that I am not getting the desired results.I suspect the quality is down of this normal BNC cable from HD-SDI to nanoflash.
Ramji

Dan Keaton September 25th, 2009 03:47 AM

Dear Ramji,

We recommend that you use a high quality HD-SDI cable.

This would be a 75 Ohm cable, with true 75 Ohm BNC connectors.

We use Canare LV61s cable for short cables, under 10 feet or 3 meters.

For longer runs, we use the Canare L-4CFB cable.

Most common BNC cables are 50 ohm and use 50 Ohm connectors.

HD-SDI is a digital signal. The most common HD-SDI signal, the one we record, is called Single Link, and is transmitted at 1.485 Gigabits per second.

Since HD-SDI is designed for long cable runs, if one uses the proper cable, with good connectors, without splices, one can achieve runs of 300 meters.

For shorter runs, the cable is less critical, but good connectors are a must. I always recommend "True 75 Ohm" connectors.

Cables that have have been abused should be avoided. Examples would be ones that have been crushed or serverly bent. Any cable with a bad or loose connector must be avoided.

You should be able to, using the above information, find a good "True 75 Ohm" cable in your country.

In addition, we manufacture and sell high quality cables in custom lengths.

David Chia September 25th, 2009 06:23 AM

Hey Barry,

Your EX1 set up looks really good, BTW what is the view finder attached to the LCD from?

Barry J. Weckesser September 25th, 2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 1396112)
Hey Barry,

Your EX1 set up looks really good, BTW what is the view finder attached to the LCD from?

That is the Hoodman HoodLoupe (EX1 kit on the website) - really like it and this setup with the QRPro2 is ideal for getting the camera in the right position to use it.

Tim Polster September 26th, 2009 11:44 AM

Barry,

Thanks for posting your setup. It looks very nice.

My only convern would be seeing the full readout of the Nanoflash.

The portion under the camera looks to be hidden from view.

I went with a SWIT 1/4-20 swivel on a clamp type of mount which has the Nano clamped onto the handle of the camera.

This is more bulky but I can get to and see the Nano very easily.

Your mount has caught my eye though. Looks better for tripod work.

Barry J. Weckesser September 26th, 2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1401362)
Barry,

Thanks for posting your setup. It looks very nice.

My only convern would be seeing the full readout of the Nanoflash.

The portion under the camera looks to be hidden from view.

I went with a SWIT 1/4-20 swivel on a clamp type of mount which has the Nano clamped onto the handle of the camera.

This is more bulky but I can get to and see the Nano very easily.

Your mount has caught my eye though. Looks better for tripod work.

When you are looking at the Nano LCD at an angle (from the back of the camrera) you can see nearly 3/4 of the screen. The left hand side of the LCD (most important side) is totally visible. I have used this system handheld, on a tripod and, today (for the first time), on a Shape WLB shoulder mount and it worked very well. With the shoulder mount you can look directly down at the LCD and see that it is recording and in what format. I'll post pics of the shoulder mount and the Nano setup later but this particular shoulder mount had the camera placed so I could use the HoodLoupe in a very comfortable position and it also was virtually "hands free" becasue of a telescopic arm support. After having the entire unit on for nearly 2 hours I had no shoulder fatigue (weight was transmitted equally between the shoulder and my hip with the supporting arm) and had both hands free to do all the usual manual adjustments with no hand or wrist fatigue.

Barry J. Weckesser September 26th, 2009 04:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics from today at my boys' soccer game - first pic is of the unit itself with the telescopic arm collapsed under the unit. The second picture just a closeup of the unit "in the field" The third shows you can get a full "seal" with the eyecup of the Hoodman HoodLoupe (it was a very bright day - had to squint) and the fourth - "look ma no hands" - all the weight was transmitted to my shoulder and hip area. The entire unit - camera, QRPro2, Nanoflash, shoulder mount, U-60 battery weighs 13.5 pounds. All the area that comes in contact with the shoulder has 3/4" foam padding.

David Chia September 27th, 2009 04:35 AM

Thanks Barry for the info.

However, I can help to notice that the EX1 original viewfinder is facing upwards in one of the pictures. The sun might cause damage to the viewfinder screen, use the glass as magnifying glass, burning it.

I usually cover it with a cloth or a baby sock.

Barry J. Weckesser September 27th, 2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 1404185)
Thanks Barry for the info.

However, I can help to notice that the EX1 original viewfinder is facing upwards in one of the pictures. The sun might cause damage to the viewfinder screen, use the glass as magnifying glass, burning it.

I usually cover it with a cloth or a baby sock.

David - you are certainly right about that and I pay attention to it - the sun was at quite an angle and not directly overhead - it was only 9:30 in the a.m. when the pics were taken. I am probably going to add a cloth with purse string or sock to my camera bag. Yesterday was my first time using the rig. I always point the HoodLoupe downward in between shots.

Rafael Amador September 27th, 2009 07:05 AM

Hi Barry,
The pictures "on the job" are great.
They give a much better idea on how the rig works.
Thanks,
rafael

Tim Polster September 27th, 2009 07:45 AM

Thanks for your posts Barry.

Looks like a great setup.

Barry J. Weckesser September 27th, 2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Amador (Post 1404583)
Hi Barry,
The pictures "on the job" are great.
They give a much better idea on how the rig works.
Thanks,
rafael

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1404703)
Thanks for your posts Barry.

Looks like a great setup.

Thanks Rafael and Tim.

Just made a modification on the rig this a.m. that makes it even better: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1404810-post48.html