DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Swit Battery and Nano (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/462555-swit-battery-nano.html)

Paul Cronin October 1st, 2009 06:21 PM

Swit Battery and Nano

I did a shoot yesterday using my Swit batteries powering the EX1 and the Nano. It was interesting that the lights on the battery ran out at 14.7 volts. The battery kept powering both the Nano and the EX1 for another 90 minutes for a total of 3 hrs down to 14.0 volts then I switched batteries.

I had discussed this with Dan and told him from previous I was concerned the battery did not have enough power to power both for more then 90 minutes. My mistake. At 90 minutes is when the lights no longer give you a readout. But the EX1 gives you the voltage in the top left of the LCD.

So all and all a nice surprise. And I am sure the battery life is much longer and I will check but is was very important 5 hr shoot and I had a second so I put in the spare at 3 hrs.

David Issko October 1st, 2009 07:16 PM

I am getting about 3 1/2 hrs from the Swit and just over 3 from the BP-U60 (using Coco EX for D-Tap to the nano). I posted this finding a couple of weeks ago. 2 Swit & 2 Sony batteries, charged from Alex Dolgin's 4 battery EX charger Very happy.

Dan Keaton October 2nd, 2009 02:27 AM

Dear Paul and David,

It is nice to hear that the Swit Battery is working for you.

It seems to be an ideal solution for the Sony EX1/EX3 series, and other applications.

I like that it offers the same power as the BP-U60 battery, in total and can be charged by the Sony Battery Charger, if desired.

It is appropriate, for some, to have a second battery charger, or a multiple battery charger, such as those for Dolgin Engineering.

The Sony EX1/EX3 draw over 12.5 watts, and the nanoFlash draws 5.6 watts maximum.
Thus, when the Swit battery is powering both, the run time is less than the battery powering the EX1/EX3 alone, but there is still substantial run time.

I have not tried this with the Swit Battery, Sony EX1/EX3, and nanoFlash combination, but the camera should power down before the nanoFlash. The nanoFlash should detect the loss of the HD-SDI signal, then close the last clip, while there is still enough power in the battery to power the nanoFlash.

All of the above depends on the EX1/EX3 powering down when the voltage drops below a mininum level. If it does this, then the above scenario should work. As noted above, I have not tested this. The nanoFlash will power itself down at around 6.5 volts, which is below the power down level of most cameras.

Paul Cronin October 2nd, 2009 05:46 AM

Dan it was a great recommendation from you to go with the Swit.

Sony BP-U60 5 1/2 hrs just EX1 on yesterdays shoot.

Swit just EX1? Don't know yet

Swit EX1 and Nano 3 1/2 minimum. i will test this to know soon on a less important shoot.

I only use the Sony stock charger.

David Issko October 2nd, 2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1426103)
I only use the Sony stock charger.

Paul, if and when your budget allows, go for the Dolgin 4 battery EX charger. Very, very good.

Paul Cronin October 3rd, 2009 04:51 AM

Thanks David if I need a new charger that would be the one.