DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nano worth it for the 4.2.2 alone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/466745-nano-worth-4-2-2-alone.html)

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 01:07 PM

Gints you bring up a good point. For me to watermark I have to bring the clips into FC and that will compress the clips. I have not had enough time in the day to shoot clips that do not produce dollars. So I think holding off on sending compressed clips is my move for now.

Gints you should shoot some clips and if you don't own a Nano rent one you will not want to bring it back.

When I am back from this trip on the week of the 9th I can make time to shoot some clips just for a test unless you find someone sooner.

Aaron Newsome October 29th, 2009 02:06 PM

As soon as I get my HDV camera back from repair, I will be able to shoot some HDV vs. XDR parallel recordings. My HDV camera only does 720p though so hopefully that is good enough for you guys. I'll post up the raw clips for you guys to analyze.

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 02:16 PM

I would be glad to send off these clips but I don't know how to water mark and not compress the clips. If there is a way let me know.

Greg Boston October 29th, 2009 02:41 PM

Bring them into an uncompressed format, add your watermark, and export in uncompressed format. The watermark will be 'rendered' onto the frame, but no compression should be happening.

-gb-

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 02:42 PM

Thanks Greg I will give this a go now.

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 02:56 PM

This seems to work.

Dan Clips on the way.

Gints Klimanis October 29th, 2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 1439884)
Bring them into an uncompressed format, add your watermark, and export in uncompressed format. The watermark will be 'rendered' onto the frame, but no compression should be happening.
-gb-

How is it possible to add data to a compressed frame without decompression, addition and recompression? Is the watermark added with a short duration so that only a few groups of frames is recompressed?

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 03:23 PM

Not sure Gints but I have given it a try and will send to Dan so at least I followed through. If it is not what he wants I will shoot something when I am back from a week on the road. On the road this time it is not my gear I am shooting with so not able to pull clips.

Gints Klimanis October 29th, 2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1439893)
This seems to work.

Dan Clips on the way.

Paul, if you would like to use a web server for faster delivery to Dan, please use the ftp server account I sent you. ( I think I sent it to you.)

Dan Keaton October 29th, 2009 05:12 PM

Dear Gints,

Paul has already started sending the files directly to our server.

Some of the uncompressed files are huge, as would be expected.

Paul mentioned that one, 7-second file, was 1.7 GB.

Gints Klimanis October 29th, 2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1439828)
Gints you should shoot some clips and if you don't own a Nano rent one you will not want to bring it back.

Paul,

Thanks for your comments. I am intrigued by the Nano's high bitrate recording especially after I observed the differences between my previous work with Sony Z1U HDV and new work with Sony EX1. Since there is almost no material available to convince me that the Nano provides a visual benefit over my EX1, I'm having fun searching for other high-tech justifications such as "crash cam" via HDMI, high frame rate stills, buffered cache, etc.. But, the $3k will only be spent when the visual results are in.

Gints

Gints Klimanis October 29th, 2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1439954)
Dear Gints,

Paul has already started sending the files directly to our server.

Some of the uncompressed files are huge, as would be expected.

Thanks, Dan. Large files are no problem with us. Are they uncompressed for the sake of the watermark? Frame grabs from both streams would be even more useful. We want to see actual target files.

Aaron Newsome October 29th, 2009 06:14 PM

I will be posting original files, straight HDV and straight out of the XDR. No watermarks, compression or anything else.

The files will be reasonably small.

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 07:11 PM

Sorry guys to send such big files but it is the only way with footage I don't own. Last file is finishing up now. Hope it show what people are looking for to compare. It sure does on corrected monitors off the original files.

Paul Cronin October 29th, 2009 08:26 PM

Gints no FTP info sent my way.