DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nanoflash Remote Control (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/468437-nanoflash-remote-control.html)

Adam Stanislav November 26th, 2009 03:38 PM

Nanoflash Remote Control

Is the pinout/protocol of the Nanoflash remote control documented or is it proprietary and secret?

Dan Keaton November 26th, 2009 04:19 PM

Dear Adam,

With our new firmware, 1.1.150, released yesterday, we have two options for the nanoFlash and Flash XDR remote controls.

The Pin-Outs are listed in our manuals, on www.Convergent-Design.com.

1. The normal mode of operation is:

Press the Remote Control Button momentarily (or close a switch or relay) to start record.

Press and hold the closed the Remote Control button or close a switch or relay, for one second to stop recording.

2. The new "Level" mode of operation is much more suitable to remote control via other electronic devices.

Press and hold the Remote Control Button, (or close a switch or relay) continuously to record.

Release the Remote Control Button, (or open the switch or relay) to stop recording.

Option 2, "Level" control is much more suitable to using other electronic devices to control recording. A simple "On-Off" switch, or an electonic circuit, or camera remote control can be used to control the nanoFlash or Flash XDR with this new option.

Adam Stanislav November 26th, 2009 06:26 PM

Thanks, Dan. I have found the pinout in the handbook now, and see there are several other pins. Could you explain those? For one, I see an RX and a TX line, so probably some kind of serial protocol is going on there. Can you elaborate on that?

Secondly, is the tally light pin to inform the controller that the device is recording? And if so, does it stay at +5V while it is recording? Or is it at 0V while recording and at 5V when it is not (do not laugh, some designs are like that)? Or does it go to 5V momentarily when the recording starts? I am assuming it is the first option I listed, but I have been taught long time ago to assume nothing when it comes to engineering.

Dan Keaton November 26th, 2009 06:37 PM

Dear Adam,

The nanoFlash has hardware to support RS-232 and RS-485 serial communications.

RS-232 is good for point-to-point devices.

RS-484 is good for multipoint devices, such as multiple nanoFlashes all connected together.

We will be using these features in the future. For example, our upcoming GPS feature will use RS-232 communications.

Here is some additional information about the LED circuit.

While we are recording, the Tally Light, the LED, will flash on and off.

This is positive proof that that nanoFlash is actively recording. If it stops in the on or off state, which is highly unlikely, then it is not actually recording.

We power the LED with 3.3V. You have to watch the power requirements for the LED or it will not turn on due the limited drive of the IC we are using. Positve 3.3V is the On condition.

Please stay under under 2.1V forward voltage and as low a forward current as possible, less than 20mA. Please do not exceed the following:

Peak Forward Current = 30mA
Continuous Forward Current = 20mA
Forward Voltage = 2.0V

The 4-Pin Hirose connector to mate with our Remote Control connector is:
Hirose PN: HR10A-7P-4S(73) Solder Connection Digi-Key PN: HR1584-ND

We will help you and anyone else that needs assistance in developing custom equipment.
And, if possible, we will develop what you need. We can also provide custom cables with numerous options to fit your needs.

Adam Stanislav November 26th, 2009 07:06 PM

Thanks, Dan.