DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   NanoFlash 3:2 pulldown or EX3 24Psf (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/468473-nanoflash-3-2-pulldown-ex3-24psf.html)

Micheal McAlexander November 27th, 2009 12:19 PM

NanoFlash 3:2 pulldown or EX3 24Psf

Hey guys,

This may be the wrong place for this, but...

The Sony EX3 in HQ 1080/24p outputs a 1080/60i signal to the HDSSI. There is a way to change it to send 1080/24Psf out the HDSDI.

My questions - should I let the EX3 do the 24p or let the nanoFlash take the default 1080/601 and do a pulldown?

Cheers,

Micheal

Cris Daniels November 27th, 2009 01:34 PM

You can change that output from 60i to 24psf in the camera menu for video output, I think it was the the "SDI output format". At that point, the Nanoflash will read "24psf input" and you will be in business. In the same camera menu on the EX3, turn OFF the option that allows you to output the information from the LCD ( all the shooting info like histogram) to the SDI port. I dont have the camera in front of me or I would be more specific. If you do not shut this off, you will record the superimposed data on the camera LCD, battery life, etc.....to the Nanoflash input!

On the Nanoflash check the PSF IN and OUT boxes.

I run the Nano Flash to a Marshall 7" SDI display, and leave the stock EX3/EX1 LCD with the peaking and other camera info left on screen. That way the Marshall is for composition and critical focus (with its 1:1 pixel mapping option), and use the stock LCD with peaking for follow focus.

Micheal McAlexander November 27th, 2009 02:02 PM

awesome thanks Cris

Cris Daniels November 27th, 2009 03:09 PM

another thing is to set the Nanoflash to start recording once you press record on the EX3. I still use my SXS cards and record to them and the Nano at the same time. If you are still getting comfortable with the Nano, continue recording to the SXS cards as well for the time being. That way if something is set wrong you have not really lost something important. Even though I only use the Nanoflash files at this point, I still record to the SXS because I have not bought any 32 or 64GB compact flash cards. Twin 16GB compact flash cards dont last very long, and I use the SXS cards (twin 16gb) to save my butt if I am getting something great and I cant stop the camera, but the Nanoflash cards run out. Since the SXS cards will last 3x as long as my compact flash cards, they are a good safety in case I need to keep the camera rolling.

All of this depends on your shooting style, but a lot of the things I shoot are more documentary and things tend to unfold spontaneously, and when they do you had better be ready, not downloading cards onto a laptop.

Micheal McAlexander November 27th, 2009 03:21 PM

hey cris,

yeah i have the SxS cards and I'm playing around with the MxR+SDHC option too. Although my plans are to shoot at 100+Mbps for the feature I'm planning, it's nice to know that the 35Mbps backup is there as well. Not sure if I'm going 100Mbps Long GOP or maybe 220Mbps. I have a lab that's going to do a film-out test to see which looks best.

I hear that C-D is planning an option where the NanoFlash will record to both CFs at the same time for back-up...think that'll be a cool feature.