DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   1280X720p ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/469603-1280x720p.html)

Dean Harrington December 17th, 2009 06:06 PM

1280X720p ...

Did a shoot yesterday 1280X720-60p at 1/120 shutter and I can see scan lines in FCP ... any ideas on what's going on?

Dan Keaton December 17th, 2009 06:23 PM

Dear Dean,

What was you setting for PSF-In or PSF>Prog?

These are the same thing, it just depends on what firmware you are using.

What firmware are you using?

Dean Harrington December 17th, 2009 06:30 PM

Dan ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1461577)
Dear Dean,

What was you setting for PSF-In or PSF>Prog?

These are the same thing, it just depends on what firmware you are using.

What firmware are you using?

I had PSF-in checked and the EX3 set up to shoot 60p as well. Both units were set exactly the same 1280X720-60p- 1/120 shutter. As a note, I didn't have this problem on another shoot were the shutter was off ... with the same settings.

Dan Keaton December 17th, 2009 07:25 PM

Dear Dean,

I suggest that you run a test with PSF-In, unchecked.

Also, I recommend that you upgrade to our firmware version 1.1.154, but this should not make any difference with the symptoms you experience.

I believe that the problem was having PSF-In checked.

Dean Harrington December 17th, 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1461590)
Dear Dean,

I suggest that you run a test with PSF-In, unchecked.

Also, I recommend that you upgrade to our firmware version 1.1.154, but this should not make any difference with the symptoms you experience.

I believe that the problem was having PSF-In checked.

Just checked again and I have Prog-PSF checked. I'm running firmware 1.1.154

Dan Keaton December 17th, 2009 08:01 PM

Dear Dean,

For 720p, I recommend that you have this unchecked.

Please try it unchecked to see if the problem with the scan lines goes away.
I believe they will go away.

As far as I know, and subject to correction, there is no such thing as Progressive Segmented Frame in 720p, they are always true progressive, and thus PSF > Prog being checked would be inappropriate.

I know this is confusing and our PSF > Prog (which stands for Progressive Segmented Frame to Progessive) is also confusing. We will be changing this.

If we prove that unchecking this causes the scan lines to go away, then I will request that we do a better job and detect that the footage is 720p and ignore the PSF > Prog if it is checked.

Dean Harrington December 17th, 2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1461606)
Dear Dean,

As far as I know, and subject to correction, there is no such thing as Progressive Segmented Frame in 720p, they are always true progressive, and thus PSF > Prog being checked would be inappropriate.

I know this is confusing and our PSF > Prog (which stands for Progressive Segmented Frame to Progessive) is also confusing. We will be changing this.

If we prove that unchecking this causes the scan lines to go away, then I will request that we do a better job and detect that the footage is 720p and ignore the PSF > Prog if it is checked.

thanks Dan ... I've made the adjustment on that and now must correct the scan lines in FCP. If anyone knows a fast and easy way to do this ... I could use advice. I'm running FCP 7 if that helps.
Just a side note, on my last shoot I did not have this problem and PSF was not checked. Lesson learned.
all the best

Dean Harrington December 20th, 2009 01:46 AM

Dan ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1461606)
Dear Dean,

I'm still in the middle of cleaning up the video ... it's been a bitch ... and will test this setting difference as soon as I get this project out the door.

Rafael Amador December 20th, 2009 10:33 AM

I may be wrong, but I think the psf doesn't affect to p720 at all.
the standard is p60 or p50. For interlacing monitoring, is read a field from each frame to get i60 or i50.
rafael

Dean Harrington December 20th, 2009 09:07 PM

rafael ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Amador (Post 1462539)
I may be wrong, but I think the psf doesn't affect to p720 at all.
the standard is p60 or p50. For interlacing monitoring, is read a field from each frame to get i60 or i50.
rafael

Marty Welt had speculated (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ml#post1462727) that AC, sound board, digi-phones, or some other frequency wave may have been the cause. I'm still not sure what caused this as the room seemed lit by tungsten bulbs. In any case, I've solved this problem to an acceptable level and I'm now in the process of rending. I hope to get this out today.
all the best