DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nano built in rewrapper utility (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/472342-nano-built-rewrapper-utility.html)

Paul Steinberg February 5th, 2010 10:30 PM

Nano built in rewrapper utility

I had the opportunity to meet Mike from CD at an event held by the Camera Department in Toronto. While chatting with him about the real world problem of Nano Quicktime files not being read by PC's and MXF's not playing nice with Mac's I was hit with the idea...what if the Nanoflash recorders has a rewrapper utility built into them?

Theoretically a file just needs to be rewrapped into the other file type, why not include a utility in the system menu to do the rewrapping? I see it working like this; insert full card of MOV (or MXF) files into card slot one, then insert an empty card of same or larger capacity into card slot 2 before starting the utility that will rewrap all the files to the opposite format and store them on the other card.

Whatcha think?

As someone who doesn't work inside a closed post loop this would solve a lot of problems.

Lance Librandi February 6th, 2010 06:34 AM

Hey Paul,
I love the idea "Sold" I will vote for it.

Perrone Ford February 6th, 2010 06:59 AM

It might not really take much development. This utility already exists. The question is if it can be implemented inside the nanoflash.

Dan Keaton February 6th, 2010 10:28 AM

Dear Paul,

This is actually an interesting idea.

But, I would like to correct one point.

One can record to our MXF file, then use the Sony Transfer Utility to create Quicktime files on a Mac.

So, the MXF files are the most universal way to record, at this time.

Also, once we have all flavors of our File Converter, both PC and Mac based, then these issues may go away.

Rafael Amador February 6th, 2010 10:46 AM

Personally I don't like the idea of putting any kind of application in the NANO Firmware.
The NANO is for recording, and the simplest, the best.
Cheers,
rafael

Dave Sperling February 6th, 2010 01:33 PM

Hello Dan,
I would vote heavily for anything that would allow me to convert MOV's to MXF's without needing a Mac. Paul's concept is definitely interesting, but a pc-based conversion program would work also.
What it comes down to is... A lot of Final Cut editors don't want to know from MXF's. They just want MOV's. But if I record MOV's on the Nano, and later need MXF's for a pc edit, the MOV's don't do me any good if I don't have a Mac to convert them with. So a PC version of the File Converter program would be a wonderful addition to the arsenal.
Best,
Dave S.

Dan Keaton February 6th, 2010 01:41 PM

Dear Dave,

Our goal was to offer versions of our File Converter:

1. A Mac Version that converts MOV's to MXF's.

2. A Mac Version that converts MXF's to MOV's.
(This is no longer needed as Sony offers a great free utility that does this,
now that we record in Sony Optical Disk format.)

3. A PC Version that converts MOV's to MXF's.

4. A PC Version that converts MXF's to MOV's.
(This is not as important since the Sony Utility already exists.
But, this is still desirable as one, on a PC, could prepare the MOV's for the client.)

Thus, Item 3, is our priority at this time.

Paul Steinberg February 6th, 2010 05:57 PM

The hardware solution got a little gleam in Mike's eyes as you wouldn't have to write utilities for Mac and PC, it would be hardware based. I think the software solution would be great as well but I didn't think of it.

I told Mike that I'm expecting the new function to me known as a "Steinberg"...I'm thinking of getting a bitmap pic of my smiling face that will replace the hourglass while the files are converting.

Dan Keaton February 6th, 2010 06:20 PM

Dear Paul,

I hope we can add a "Steinberg" to our nanoFlash.

Mike and I have been discussing another feature that we want to add to the nanoFlash.

It is another feature that we will incorporate into the nanoFlash itself.