DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Sound quality of the nano headphones output (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/474429-sound-quality-nano-headphones-output.html)

Piotr Wozniacki March 9th, 2010 10:09 AM

Sound quality of the nano headphones output

Is it just my unit, or does everyone hear a lot of modulated hiss (the kind of noise similar to weak FM broadcast) when monitoring both live HD-SDI embedded audio (from EX1), and playing back clips recorded on the nano?

This is not present in the clips' audio when put on the NLE timeline.

Adam Stanislav March 9th, 2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1497055)
does everyone hear a lot of modulated hiss

I don't. Well, did not the couple times I used it with headphones.

Piotr Wozniacki March 10th, 2010 10:02 AM

I can't seem to be able to find it in the manual; how do you adjust embedded audio level during recording?

I mean - on headphones monitoring, that is...

Andrew Stone March 10th, 2010 12:01 PM

Piotr,

Use the up and down arrows on the unit's interface. Not documented (as far as I know) but confirmed by Dan a couple of weeks ago.

Piotr Wozniacki March 10th, 2010 12:19 PM

I thought I remembered Dan mentioning the up/down arrows, so I tried those first - don't seem to work.

Piotr Wozniacki March 11th, 2010 03:50 AM

Dear Dan,

Could you please remind me how one can attenuate the headphone output level during recording?

Also - playing with the buttons - I noticed that pressing the Play button for a couple of seconds, toggles "Autoplay" mode on/off; just what this mode is?

Aaron Newsome March 11th, 2010 09:02 AM

The headphone volume is full on, always. The level can not be adjusted.

Piotr Wozniacki March 11th, 2010 09:16 AM

If that's indeed the case, then it sounds like an urgent feature wish for the coming firmware releases, Dan!

I record classical music performances, and the current loudness of my headphones is definitely too high for even trying to use in an auditory....

Aaron Newsome March 11th, 2010 01:30 PM

I've already verified this is correct. I was advised to get myself an inline headphone volume control

Dan Keaton March 11th, 2010 04:43 PM

Dear Piotr and Aaron,

In the Flash XDR, the volume is not currently adjustable. This is expected to change.

In the nanoFlash, the volume is adjustable.

Piotr Wozniacki March 11th, 2010 05:06 PM

Dear Dan,

I'm currently on the Public Beta, and the arrow buttons do not adjust the volume.

How is it supposed to work?

Aaron Newsome March 11th, 2010 05:53 PM

Hi Piotr. I assumed that since the volume is stuck on full output for the XDR, the same was true for the nanoFlash. I've always thought the features between the two units were identical. Sorry for not verifying this specifically for the nanoFlash.

From now on, I'll leave the nanoFlash questions to the guys who actually have one, since these units obviously have more differences than size and a couple CF slots.

Dan Keaton March 11th, 2010 07:50 PM

Dear Aaron,

As far as I know, this is just a temporary difference.

The audio circuitry between the nanoFlash and Flash XDR are quite different.

Some time back, I asked if we could implement the headphone volume control on the Flash XDR. The answer was yes. We just have not done it yet.

Bob Griffiths March 11th, 2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1498323)
In the nanoFlash, the volume is adjustable.

Hey Dan,

My audio guy is complaining that he can't turn the nano headset volume down low enough. He is using those ubiquitous Sony headphones (MDR-7506?). Anyone else seen/heard this?

Thanks!

Piotr Wozniacki March 12th, 2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Griffiths (Post 1498425)
Hey Dan,

My audio guy is complaining that he can't turn the nano headset volume down low enough. He is using those ubiquitous Sony headphones (MDR-7506?). Anyone else seen/heard this?

Thanks!

Yep - confirmed with my Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II; definitely too loud!

Dan - this definitely is a problem that needs fixing; recording quiet events like e.g. solo guitar recital needs audio monitoring, but its loudness must be adjustable so that I'm not disturbing the audience.