DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   MXF File not supported codec in XDCam Transfer to FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/476520-mxf-file-not-supported-codec-xdcam-transfer-fcp.html)

Scott Stoneback April 9th, 2010 12:06 PM

MXF File not supported codec in XDCam Transfer to FCP

OK, so I've finally got XDCAM transfer for FCP loaded, up to date with FCP.

Yesterday, I did a test recording for a client using Nano. I was expected to deliver HDX900 footage via tape. I had the Nano and gave him files to test on his Avid system with the understanding that if something was wrong, we would revert to tape. So, it was just a courtesy trial on my behalf.

I have the footage, but XDCAM Transfer is saying that it is an unsupported codec. What setting did I do incorrectly? Is there a way to salvage the files? Do I need to salvage the files or are they OK?

Here are my settings:
HDX900
720/59.94
30p
dropframe

Nano:
MXF
timecode trigger
HD SDI embedded TC
dropframe checked
50Mbit rate
Long GOP
PSF/Prog checked

Luben Izov April 9th, 2010 12:40 PM

Hello Scott,
Just start the Sony Transfer program. Click on file and choose Add Source. Mark the files as you wish (top right corner you have-OK, KEEP, NO STATUS, NG). After you done with your choices click import. FCP would take it from there. Hope this helps you
Cheers
Luben

Scott Stoneback April 9th, 2010 01:29 PM

Not working

Luben,

The Sony transfer program is telling me that the codec is not installed, and accordingly, will not play back the footage or allow me to import to FCP.

Other footage (imx SD material) has worked wonderfully, using the Sony transfer, but it was not this framerate.

Dan Keaton April 9th, 2010 02:37 PM

Dear Scott,

I am confused by your settings:

720/59.94 then 30p.

For a long time, we did not allow 720p30 to be recorded in the nanoFlash, due to the very limited support for this flavor.

Our customers asked us to support 720p30, so we did. However, we warn that the NLE support for this is limited.

I feel that the Sony XDCam Transfer software does not suppot 720p30.

It will probably support 720p59.94.

If you choose to record in native Quicktime, for Final Cut Pro, then it should probably handle 720p30.

The Sony XDCam codec, which the XDCam Transfer Utility uses, does not support 720p30, as far as I know.

Scott Stoneback April 9th, 2010 03:30 PM

That could be the issue then.

The HDX900 records, to tape, 60fps, no matter what the setting for framerates. It always has 60 frames to fill on tape. If I set the camera up to do 720 HD, I can record 30p, but (as I understand it) the HDX900 will double the frames to fill the 60 frame slots on tape.

That is how I can write that my HDX900 was set for 720/59.94 and to record 30p. Weird, I know, I can barely figure it out.

In the "systems settings" on the camera, my "system mode" sub-menu choices for 720 are 720/50 or 720/59.94. From there, I can choose in "camera mode" 24/30/60p or 24/25/50p.

So, for this shoot, client wanted 720/30p footage. I set the HDX to 720/59.94 and 30p. I also checked the 720p 60/50>30/25 option (I didn't write that in original post). I then saw on the Nano "720h29" as the HDSDI signal.

I then set the Nano up to what I thought were the correct settings. I may not have done it correctly, as it was spur of the moment and really just a test.

The client is editing on Avid, so they might be able to ingest the footage... I don't know Avid's limitations, hopefully, since the client requested 720/30p the Avid will handle it. Since it was Avid, I went with MXF files, longGOP, 50mbit.

It sounds like the Sony transfer software does not support the 720/30p format. It also would follow that I cannot create 720/30p MOV files from my MXF files, if I can't use the Sony software. Yay!

This is why I am doing these tests when I can, to determine the traps. There are many traps.... and I appreciate all the help provided from CD and the forum users!

Scott Stoneback April 9th, 2010 03:57 PM

Ran a test

OK, ran a test. Sony Transfer recognizes the 720/60p format just fine. The only difference is that I unchecked the 720 50/60>25/30 option on the NanoFlash and recorded the file at 60p in the Nano, rather than the original 30p.

So, assuming that was the only parameter that causes this, I have my answer.

However, the Sony Transfer software says: "Codec not installed" and "the video codec required to view this material is not installed".

Is that codec available somewhere, to be installed, or is Sony Transfer basically saying it will never work with their software?

One other question then. If I have the HDX900 setup to do 30p, is it sending 30p out of HDSDI while recording 30p to tape? If so, how is the NanoFlash recording at 60p? Or, is the HDX900 sending out 60p even if recording at 30p?

Mark Job April 9th, 2010 05:37 PM

Avid Media Composer Frame Rate Support

Hi Scott:
Believe it or not, Avid Media Composer does not support 720 p30. MC does support 720 p29.976, For the life of me, I don't know why ?

Scott Stoneback April 13th, 2010 12:11 AM

note from producer

According to the producer, 720/30p MXF Long GOP 50mbit file is not working in Media Composer.

I guess that if the HD XDCams do not record 720/30p then Sony won't support the format in any hardware or software... and therefore I am screwed with that footage? Good thing it was a test with tape as the primary format.

I still have unresolved questions about this. One question is if anyone is supporting 720/30p MXF or not... and if so, is there a way to make that footage work, theoretically.