DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Eject Button Protectors: Accessory, or Necessity? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/476540-eject-button-protectors-accessory-necessity.html)

Jeff DePonte April 9th, 2010 08:09 PM

Eject Button Protectors: Accessory, or Necessity?

In a post regarding NAB, Dan mentioned that:

"We will be bringing over 90 of a special accessory for the nanoFlash.

These will be our CompactFlash card eject button protectors. This is a nice, custom machined, powder coated piece of aluminum that protects the eject buttons while allowing free access to the CompactFlash cards.

One side benefit of these is that it generally prevents the cards from flying out of the slot, if one presses too hard."

When is an accessory a necessity? I think there are 3,000 nanoFlash users out there who would agree with me we should have had this built into each and every one of our $3,000 nanoFlash units. I was amazed at how forcefully the nano ejects CF cards. Professional video gear builders would have protected an important button (like eject!) with a "rub rail" to prevent this.

So, do we now have to spend additional $$$ to buy an accessory that should have been part of each unit?

Dan Keaton April 9th, 2010 08:16 PM

Dear Jeff,

I feel that our track record of doing our best to satisify our friends is fairly well established.

I have built 100 of these so far. I will build more if our friends like them.

We will have feedback from approximately 90 users fairly quickly.

Rafael Amador April 10th, 2010 02:03 AM

Jeff I don't know what professional gear you are used to buy that is so PERFECT and which manufacturers that are so generous.
What I see around (SONY, PANASONIC, etc) is lot of wrong design, short of features and pay-pay-pay for any extra.

I agree that the NANO eject the CFs with too much power, but, as a professional, knowing the shortcomings of your equipment is your task. If you let a CF fly again, is your fault man.
Cheers,
rafael

Henry Olonga April 10th, 2010 04:31 AM

Jeff - I own a nanoflash and this imho is a none issue. Once one knows how the spring ejects the cards one can just push the button more gently. Over time the springs have relaxed and don't throw it across the room any more. Place your hand before the card as you eject and job done. My two cents. I will not be paying for this addition although I am sure it will work for many....

by the way - this is a fabulous product.....

Jeff DePonte April 10th, 2010 03:31 PM

The danger is not the distance that a CF card flies when you are sitting in your office at the end of the day. I work in non-fiction, news and documentaries, in a wide variety of difficult to hostile environments, doing things like hiking, climbing over fences, bumping along in the bed of trucks. The problem is that, without an interlock, safety feature, or door, there is a very real chance that a CF card can be ejected ACCIDENTALLY, in the field, maybe even while you are recording. Blowing an important shot, or losing a card altogether, because of the lack of a $.50 piece of aluminum, is something that you now need to consider. Why are CD making these protectors? Because they realize that this is a very real issue.

My point is that this or some other protector could have, should have, been built into the nano. Take a look around: other companies have done this for quite some time. My old Nikon D100 SLR uses CF cards, and Nikon put their CF card slot behind a door. That's how they addressed the issues of accidental ejection and dust.

You lucky 90 guys— let us know how you like those protectors!

Dean Harrington April 10th, 2010 05:28 PM

eject ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Olonga (Post 1512452)
Jeff - I own a nanoflash and this imho is a none issue. Once one knows how the spring ejects the cards one can just push the button more gently. Over time the springs have relaxed and don't throw it across the room any more. Place your hand before the card as you eject and job done. My two cents. I will not be paying for this addition although I am sure it will work for many....

by the way - this is a fabulous product.....

HDMI capture,HFS10, SGBlade, Nanoflash, Nikkor 85 mm AI on Vimeo

Non-issue except ... I've had CF cards fly out and when outdoors this could be an embarrassment but that said, I just keep my hand on the side of the slot ... works fine.

Henry Olonga April 15th, 2010 07:32 AM

Word.I see your point in that situation.

Luben Izov April 15th, 2010 01:55 PM

Actually, it is a issue. We lost a card on location yesterday. No one knows how that has happened.... Today we got a call that the card has been found (just before start digitizing the tape...).
I'll get the protection CD offers

Robin Probyn April 15th, 2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1512341)
Dear Jeff,

I feel that our track record of doing our best to satisify our friends is fairly well established.

I have built 100 of these so far. I will build more if our friends like them.

We will have feedback from approximately 90 users fairly quickly.

Hi Dan

Can you post a picture of your cover..

Thanks

Dan Keaton April 15th, 2010 10:19 PM

Dear Robin,

I will attempt to take to picture as soon as I return from NAB.

Those that came by our booth at NAB seemed pleased with the design of the protector.

Jeff Silverman April 16th, 2010 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked at and got a protector. It works by forcing your finger which is on the eject button to block the card as it is ejected. It also protects the protruding button while in use. It screws in easily to the existing holes near the card slots. It basically looks like a 1/4" frame which surrounds 3 sides of the card slots. It weighs almost nothing.

I have the protector with me but no Nano so I can't help with a pic of both. I do think it is an improvement.

Incidentally the background is the video area of SS17 setting up for a HBO bout tomorrow night.

Jeff

Henry Olonga April 16th, 2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luben Izov (Post 1514756)
Actually, it is a issue. We lost a card on location yesterday. No one knows how that has happened.... Today we got a call that the card has been found (just before start digitizing the tape...).
I'll get the protection CD offers

Ouch - okay - it is an issue. My springs obviously have weakened with time.... hope the solution helps those guys with this problem.

Jeff DePonte April 16th, 2010 06:09 PM

Hi Henry,

To be perfectly clear, the issue is not just that a fumble fingered operator might cause their cards to "fly out." Even if there were no springs to aid in card ejection, fully depressing the eject button causes the card to disengage from its connector at the back of the card slot.

No contact = no recording.

I believe that CD's new protector is designed to prevent accidental pressing of the eject button. Accidental pressing of those buttons can happen to anyone.

Bruce Schultz April 16th, 2010 08:27 PM

Dan and the rest of the C-D crew, thanks for the two card protectors that I picked up from you at NAB. They are installed and pose no threat to life, limb, or inserted CF cards.

Peter Corbett April 17th, 2010 12:26 AM

Nanoguys, when will the protectors be available and for how much? Will new Nanos off the assembly line feature these as standard?

Cheers,
Peter