DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   10 day roadtrip with NF & Sony Vegas. Metadata - best practice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/487108-10-day-roadtrip-nf-sony-vegas-metadata-best-practice.html)

Magnus Helander November 7th, 2010 08:22 AM

10 day roadtrip with NF & Sony Vegas. Metadata - best practice?

I'm preparing a 10 day roadtrip with (camcorders, audiorecorders and...) the NanoFlash on an EX3.

I will offload the CF cards to a portable RAID1 unit attached to a laptop, and rough edits will be prepared every night with Sony Vegas.

Is the XDCAM viewer the best tool for adding metadata as I transfer the CF cards to the RAID unit?

If anyone here can share experiences of logging and adding metadata to large amount of footage taken on-the-run it would be very interesting. With "metadata" I'm thinking "where was this shot", "who's in front of the camera", "location" (in car/indoors/outdoors etc) and good/NG.

The backup/secondary camcorder is the surprisingly capable Sanyo Xacti VPC CA-100 (with a large number of extra batteries) It records AVCHD in MP4 wrapper on SDHC. If these files could be included in the metadata workflow as well it would be outstanding.

Thanks!
Magnus

Piotr Wozniacki November 7th, 2010 01:11 PM

If you're using Vegas Pro, I think you should try the tool you already have - the Vegas Media Manager.

Magnus Helander November 8th, 2010 12:39 AM

No more features!

A media manager in Vegas! I must petition Sony for a "feature freeze" in Vegas, I can't keep up!
Was just getting used to the mixer from v8... now I remember, there's this database-driven window with tags that you drop on clips.. As I remember the v1 of media manager it was slightly obnoxious - it would add any media Vegas touched to the DB, and I couldn't keep a clean DB and control what went into the media pool, maybe this behavior can be changed somewhere

Will test this today, thanks! /m

Bob Grant November 8th, 2010 06:39 AM

Unfortunately metadata and Vegas is a non event.
The clipbrowser offers a simple enough way to edit the EX metadata but I'm yet to see any way to access this in Vegas. I believe it's stored in simple enough to read XML files, perhaps someone could write an extension to Vegas to access this data.
Other data I believe is stored within the MP4 file itself. That might be trickier to access.

Magnus Helander November 8th, 2010 08:16 PM

The Scribe?

Has anyone had any experience with a software called "theScribe"

According to the website it

Quote:

is the ideal tool to play your MXF and GXF files in your desktop. It allows you to annotate any MXF files with rich metadata descriptions enabling you to organise your assets and to quickly integrate your MXF devices in your workflow.
MOG Solutions - the MXF experts