DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   1st job nano only (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/488835-1st-job-nano-only.html)

Robin Probyn December 12th, 2010 07:55 PM

1st job nano only

Did first job without running tape.10 person interview against green screen.. would have been a pile of tapes.. backed up to 2 HDD,s.. already in the edit.. no problems..
But sure 2/3 tape jobs will still shoot both.. or offer the backup tapes if they are paid for for,for longer jobs..

Got to love Shotput pro..!!

Dean Harrington December 13th, 2010 05:04 PM

just shows ...

CF/SDHC cards and solid state storage are a viable recording and dumping option and tape ... got tons of them ... is getting less important in the process. On the EX3/NanoFlash I've been tapeless for some time and do not miss the tapes ... more closet space. Now, I just keep watching the SSDs advance and get cheaper ... I think this will be the way things will go very soon anyway!

Robin Probyn December 13th, 2010 10:14 PM

Not sure about storage.. had first HDD die on me the other day.. what do people use these days Blu ray.. ?

Perrone Ford December 13th, 2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Probyn (Post 1598328)
Not sure about storage.. had first HDD die on me the other day.. what do people use these days Blu ray.. ?

I haven't shot tape since 2004. Haven't missed it either. And yes, I archive to BluRay. ~$1.50 per disk. That holds 1hour of source files, my master, my deliverables, a viewing program, and any exotic codec required if I used any.

I don't want to SEE another tape.

Adam Stanislav December 14th, 2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

had first HDD die on me the other day..

The first time that happened to me I bought SpinRite. It restored the disk and I have not had a problem with any disk ever since.

Robin Probyn December 14th, 2010 01:51 AM

Looks like it only works on PC,s no mention of Mac?

Dean Harrington December 14th, 2010 02:15 AM

multi storage ...

Quote:

Got some on hard disks and online back-up storage as well.

Adam Stanislav December 14th, 2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Probyn (Post 1598377)
Looks like it only works on PC,s no mention of Mac?

SpinRite requires PC BIOS to work. If you have access to a PC, you could place the hard drive in an external enclosure (preferably eSATA since it is faster than USB) and have SpinRite work on it. Then you put the drive back into your Mac.

Ron Little December 14th, 2010 11:41 AM

Perrone, where do you get your BluRay disk? I am going to start backing up this way.

Perrone Ford December 14th, 2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1598486)
Perrone, where do you get your BluRay disk? I am going to start backing up this way.

Bluray Media - Blank Computer Media - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

Ron Little December 14th, 2010 01:25 PM

Thank you Perrone.
Can you make a recommendation on brand?

Perrone Ford December 14th, 2010 01:57 PM

I've used Sony, TDK, Verbatim, Maxell, and Imation... all without incident. Honestly, I don't think there's that much difference between them. I've never burned coaster in 2.5 years.

Rafael Amador December 14th, 2010 03:09 PM

Since I started shooting with the EX-1 I started archiving in BR.
Now I'm storing on HDs. There are more flexible than BR.
With the BR you must organize very well your stuff.
Once burned you can't change nothing.
With HDs you can organize after storing.

Quote:

here in laos i have to manage by my self when a HD die.
With DataRescue and FileSalvage i've been able to get every single thing from HDs, SDHCs and failed SxS cards.
Try the free trial.
rafael

Robin Probyn December 15th, 2010 02:49 AM

But isnt that the point of using BR for backup.. to avoid using data rescue for all the drives that go down.. even if you can save them.. ???

Rafael Amador December 15th, 2010 06:10 AM

Yes Robin, but when you can use a single 2TB HD, you don't need to manage 20 x 50Gbs disks.
For storage I'm using duplicated FW400/USB-2 Hds. In two standard HD I put the same than in 50 disks.Cheaper and faster transfer speed than BRs.
No need to transfer footage when needed. You can edit directly from those HDs.
Any other operation (cloning/coping) is easier and faster.

When I bought my BR in 2007, HDs were smaller and more expensive. BR was an option. Now, I wouldn't go that way.
One of the reasons made me adopt the BR is that I thought that some time most computers would have BR player. Is not like that (at least with Macs). if I wan't to travel with my BRs, I have to carry the bulky BR player wherever I go.
I've definitely stopped with the BRs when I started shooting with the NANO.
Rafael