DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   CF Cards Shown As "Full" On nanoFlash, When Only Part Filled (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/491522-cf-cards-shown-full-nanoflash-when-only-part-filled.html)

Ronald Jackson February 19th, 2011 11:10 AM

I trigger my nano from the camcorder, either from the lanc controller on the tripod handle or from my wireless remote (that from my HV20) all to lessen the effects of camera shake. Thus I have a tape in the camera and record to that in parallel with the nano.

Yes Dan I do have a wired remote . Maybe I need to give it a go. Will this though mean I won't be able to simultaneously tape record?

Ron

Dan Keaton February 19th, 2011 11:47 AM

Dear Ron,

If you use the wired remote, it only controls the nanoFlash.

You would have to Start/Stop the camera manually, if desired.

Billy Steinberg February 19th, 2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
Unless I'm misunderstanding the discussion, the problem isn't with hot swapping, it's with the "two pushes on the record button means skip to the next card". If you (and others) feel that this is too dangerous without providing a setting to enable and disable it, then the setting should control whether "two pushes" is enabled or disabled, not whether hot swapping is enabled or disabled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1619678)
Dear Billy,

If I understand you correct, you are suggesting that we just disable the function were the Record Key is pressed twice in succession.

If disabled, as I understand your position, then hot swapping could still work, just that one would have to wait until the card filled up, then the nanoFlash automatically advanced to the next card.

Billy, that is an interesting suggestion.

Using your suggestion, people who need to edit quickly, while still recording, could enable it, and others could disable it. An example would be camera operators covering breaking news.

You understand my thoughts correctly. Again, it appears that the danger is accidentally pushing the record button twice, not that hot swapping exists. So a setting to prevent this type of accident should be deal with the cause of the "problem", not with the result of the problem (fix the cause, not the symptom).

Billy

Dan Keaton February 19th, 2011 12:56 PM

Dear Billy,

I wanted to use this thread to get thoughts from our users so we can come up with the best solution.

I find your comments to be very valuable.

I welcome other comments.

Lance Librandi February 19th, 2011 02:09 PM

Dear Dan,
I have also tried this and I believe the problem is the old fashion keyboard bounce. What about using the Right arrow key when the Nanoflash is in record mode to skip to the next card or close the file. This seems to me to be a much more appropriate key to use and would elevate the problem.

Dan Keaton February 19th, 2011 02:17 PM

Dear Lance,

Yes, that is more logical.

We are currently using the Left and Right Arrows, during record to adjust the Crank Rate if we are over or under-cranking.

Of course, over and under-cranking are not in use at all times. And over and under-cranking is a specialized activity and not normal used in conjunction with Hot Swapping.

Don Parrish February 19th, 2011 04:57 PM

"I think I had a poor connection via the XLH1 Timecode Out socket"

Is it possible that a loose timecode cable/circuit could trigger the effect by causing 2 quick timecode initiated start request ?

Dan Keaton February 19th, 2011 05:46 PM

Dear Don,

We could test that condition in our lab.

I doubt,however, that is the problem.

Our code to detect if the Record Button was pressed twice in succession is very different from the code to detect if we should start record based on incrementing timecode.

Ronald Jackson February 20th, 2011 03:15 AM

I'm absolutely no technophile, ignorance is bliss more like it, but Don's suggestion rings a bell with me and my XLH1. I have had connection problems, " No SR " message even though nano continuing to record.
Being out in the field (sometimes literally) gives no opportunity for a careful evaluation of what is happening.
If Dan is to test his XLH1 maybe include simulating a rapid series of"record/pause" with Timecode coming from the camera.

If I did this and something happened more a matter of "so what?" given my technical incompetence.

Ron

Robin Probyn February 20th, 2011 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1619941)
Dear Don,

We could test that condition in our lab.

I doubt,however, that is the problem.

Our code to detect if the Record Button was pressed twice in succession is very different from the code to detect if we should start record based on incrementing timecode.

So the forced top swop.. ie two quick pushes of the record button,can be achieved from the camera record button(when shooting internal media simultaneously) I also presumed it was only activated from the Nano record button only ?

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2011 10:45 AM

Dear Robin,

Sorry, but the forced Hot Swap to the next CompactFlash card can only be achieved by pressing the Record Button on the nanoFlash twice in succession.

While we need to do actual testing tomorrow, I am very confident that the above is accurate.

Pressing Record Button on your camera cannot activate Hot Swap.

Ronald Jackson February 20th, 2011 03:16 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with Dan.My difficulties with inadvertent hot swapping happened when I was not in any direct contact with the nanoFlash at all.

I (must have) pressed record twice,quickly, via either the Lanc controller or the camera wireless remote.

Ron

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2011 03:20 PM

Dear Ron,

I went back and read some of your earlier posts. I stand corrected.

We will do our best to test this tomorow.

Ronald Jackson February 24th, 2011 01:51 AM

Re: CF Cards Shown As "Full" On nanoFlash, When Only Part Filled

Any progress? Busy time as always I suppose. Would also like to know how Olaf is getting on with his improvement to the mounting bracket.

Ron

Dan Keaton February 24th, 2011 03:38 AM

Re: CF Cards Shown As "Full" On nanoFlash, When Only Part Filled

Dear Ron,

I will ask our lab to post their results of the testing.