DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   What Canon CP settings works best with NanoFlash? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/493136-what-canon-cp-settings-works-best-nanoflash.html)

Didi Schoeman March 15th, 2011 02:13 PM

What Canon CP settings works best with NanoFlash?

I originally posted this question in the XLH1 section, but it was suggested that I try get the answers on this part of the forum.

What CP setting would give you the best results on the XLH1 with the NanoFlash? We will be filming stock footage for a wildlife documentary on our XLH1 using a NanoFlash over a 6 month period and as we are most likely going to upgrade cameras during this period my head tells me that I should aim for neutral images that would easily intercut with footage from other cameras. I've read on the XF305 section of this forum that there's talk about a BBC CP setting for the XF camera series that produces a neutral image that can easily be intercut with other cameras footage and I was wondering if that might be something similar that could be used with the XLH1 and NanoFlash recorder?

Does anyone have experience or suggestions when it comes to filming footage with the NanoFlash on different cameras that will be intercut in a project?

Simon Wood March 16th, 2011 05:53 AM

Re: What Canon CP settings works best with NanoFlash?

I've been using this for a while, but I feel I need to tweak it, especially for low light conditions:

GAM CINE1
KNE LOW
BLK MIDDLE
PED 0
SET -2
SHP 0
HDF MIDDLE
DHV 0
COR 0
NR1 OFF
NR2 OFF
CMX CINE1
CGN -1
CPH 0
RGN 0
GGN G GAIN 0
BGN B GAIN 0
RGM RG MATRIX 0
RBM RB MATRIX 0
GRM GR MATRIX 0
GBM GB MATRIX 0
BRM BR MATRIX 0
BGM BG MATRIX 0

For lower light conditions I have then changed the following:
BLK Steretch
SHP -5
COR +5
NR2 LOW

But at the end of the day you really need to experiment and see what works best for your camera and your lighting.

Didi Schoeman March 16th, 2011 06:40 AM

Thanks Simon, will test these settings settings and play around with the camera as suggested.

I really want to thank you again for all the advice you gave me, it's helped me a lot with my decision to buy a NanoFlash for this project.

Simon Wood March 16th, 2011 07:56 AM

No worries.

I think its a good investment. In any case you are guaranteed the following:

1) Good customer service from the Convergent Design guys who post on this forum.
2) Good resale value if you decide to change direction (they really seem to hold their price).
3) Future proofing your current camera, and more than likely your next camera (the nanoflash is being used with the AF101 and the F3 at the moment - and pretty much everyone I know right now wants to upgrade to either one of those two cameras, never minding the EX series).

Happy filming!