DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Contemplating Nanoflash - have a question for the Pros (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/493563-contemplating-nanoflash-have-question-pros.html)

Richard Peddington March 25th, 2011 04:51 AM

Contemplating Nanoflash - have a question for the Pros

Hey everyone,

I'm EXTREMELY interested in this unit to compliment my EX1R. By looking at pictures of the unit online, I see record, stop and play buttons. For a run and gunner like myself, shooting mainly weddings and events, most of the time starting and stopping recording very frequently, how does the workflow change once you add the nanoflash to your rig?

Do you need to press record on the nano everytime you press record on your camera? Or does it intuitively know when the camera is recording so it starts recording automatically when it's supposed to?

Simon Wood March 25th, 2011 05:13 AM

Re: Contemplating Nanoflash - have a question for the Pros

You can choose either of those two options in the settings of the Nanoflash.

Most people prefer to have the nanoflash triggered by the timecode coming in over the HD/SDI cable, in which case the nanoflash starts recording automatically when the camera starts recording. That would be the best option for the EX1.

Richard Peddington March 25th, 2011 05:15 AM

Amazing! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the post....

Dan Keaton March 25th, 2011 06:54 AM

Dear Richard,

I will be happy to answer all of your questions on a personal and interactive basis.

You could send me a Private Message, just click on my name to the left.

If you include your phone number I will call you.

Dave Sperling March 25th, 2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Peddington (Post 1631453)
...how does the workflow change once you add the nanoflash to your rig?

Hello Richard,
After you start using the NanoFlash you'll probably adjust your workflow accordingly. For me, after about 4 months and realizing I'd be using the Nano much more than I had originally thought, I added a NEXTO drive to my kit to simplify the data management. I started out with a couple of 64GB cards, so I can do long record times, but also got a number of smaller cards for those times that I want to start the uploading process sooner, or want to put each interview on its own card to stay organized.
My main recommendation - try out your entire system and make a bunch of adjustments before taking it on a job, since you have not only a variety of recording format options, but you will also want to make sure that you've configured the system for easy operation.
As an example - I've named all my CF cards in the computer (NanoFlash formatting does not remove the card name) and of course labeled them as well.
Also - once you figure out how/where to mount the Nano (I mount it forward so I can see the RECORD indicator on it, even when handheld) get a top-quality HD-SDI cable of the appropriate length (and a backup cable) so you don't have a bunch of dangling wires.
Best of luck with it. You'll love it!
Best,
Dave S

Richard Peddington March 26th, 2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1631483)
Dear Richard,

I will be happy to answer all of your questions on a personal and interactive basis.

You could send me a Private Message, just click on my name to the left.

If you include your phone number I will call you.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for offering your help, I appreciate it. I went into a local dealer today and had a chance to test it out with one of their cameras and I have to say I'm very impressed. I will be picking up one of these contrapments at my very first opportunity!

Rich.

Dan Keaton March 26th, 2011 04:42 AM

Dear Richard,

Thanks for the update.

Steve Kalle March 26th, 2011 06:48 PM

Hi Richard,

Quick question for you: which NLE do you use? This is important as some have their quirks such as Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.

In addition, there is a possible workflow I am about to test where I convert my nanoFlash files to Cineform through After Effects CS5 and Neat Video. I mainly use my EX3 with a nanoFlash and I find quite a bit of noise; although, my PP settings have greatly reduced the noise. In the Cineform forum, someone posted a great workflow for enhancing DSLR footage by using a few effects including Neat Video in After Effects and then exporting for editing.

After extensive testing by others (Piotr spearheaded this effort), they found L-GOP above 100Mb/s to distort the noise from EX-cams, which is why I use only 50Mb L-GOP for long shoots and 220 or 280Mb I-frame for greenscreen and video that I will be heavily grading.