DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Playing Nanoflash footage on another computer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/495674-playing-nanoflash-footage-another-computer.html)

Daniel Maggi May 9th, 2011 05:02 PM

Playing Nanoflash footage on another computer

Hello,

I am new here so I apologize if this is a commonly asked question, but I recently shot a film with the Sony F900 camera onto a Nanoflash. The files play fine on my computer, however bringing them to a friends laptop (tried both a PC and a Mac, I could not get them to work). I tried installing the XDCAM codec from sony but that didn't seem to help either although I'm not entirely sure I downloaded the right one. Can someone help me out with what I need to get these files playing?

The files were shot as iFrame .mov's

Thanks!
Daniel

Simon Wood May 10th, 2011 12:01 AM

Re: Playing Nanoflash footage on another computer

The XDCAM viewer software from Sony only plays MXF files, I believe, so it wont work with MOV files. There is a free converter available from the CD website that converts MOV files back to MXF which works very well. When you convert them you still keep the originals, and the quality is the same, and the conversion is pretty quick.

I have been able to play all of my MXF files using both the XDCAM viewer from Sony, and VLC Media player (both are free). I have had less success playing MOV files (VLC will play the video but not the audio, and conversely Quicktime will play the audio but not the video) - I should point out that I am on a PC computer.

However, when I tried playing MOV files on a friends Mac with VLC and Quicktime I got the same results (video no audio / audio no video). So far the best way for me to view MOV files is either to play them on a Mac that has FCP, or convert them to MXF. Mac users probably know something I dont though.

Dan Keaton May 10th, 2011 02:15 AM

Dear Simon,

The latest versions of the VLC Media Player should play, on both the PC and the Mac both MOV and MXF files.

Just be aware that the VLC Media Player should not be used to judge the image quality of the footage as it leaves something to be desired in terms of image quality.

On a Mac, one needs File Cut Pro installed (Version 6.0.3 or higher) to play our MOV 50 Mbps or higher footage. 35 and 18 Mbps footage can be played with Quicktime without Final Cut Pro installed.

On a PC, with our MXF files, the Sony Clip Browser is an excellent way to view our footage.

Andy Mangrum May 10th, 2011 12:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

To add to what Dan had mentioned, Calibrated is another option for viewing MOV files on a PC or Mac, that does not have Final Cut installed(Mac), or the required XDCAM codec(PC).

Also note the free version has a watermark, where the full version does not this is available on our website under the downloads page>addition downloads (off to the right side)

Downloads | Convergent Design | Professional Video Recorders and Converters

Best Regards

Daniel Maggi May 11th, 2011 10:31 PM

Thanks guys! I got it to work. Appreciate the help