DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Sony PMW-F3 + nanoFlash Recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/500464-sony-pmw-f3-nanoflash-recommendations.html)

Dan Keaton September 8th, 2011 07:53 AM

Sony PMW-F3 + nanoFlash Recommendations

Dear Friends,

The Sony F3 + nanoFlash is a great combination, as I have posted before.

This combination creates just stunning images.

Here are some recommendations for using the two together:

1. Do not use -3dB gain on the F3.

2. For outdoor shooting, or when there are very bright highlights, use CineGamma 1.

3. For all other situations, including very low light situations, use CineGamma 4.

I welcome suggestions from others, as well as comments about the image quality from other F3 + nanoFlash users.

If one invests in the Sony F3 S-Log Upgrade, then the Gemini 4:4:4 is the ideal recorder, as it fully supports 4:4:4 RGB S-Log Footage, including full LUT Support.

Kirk Miller October 10th, 2011 04:03 PM

Re: Sony PMW-F3 + nanoFlash Recommendations

Dan,

I'm using my NanoFlash with my F3 for the first time and I'm unclear about the "PSF>Prog" setting. I'm shooting 23.98 and sending out an interlaced signal over SDI with pulldown so I can use my HDMI viewfinder at the same time. I have "Remove 3:2 Pulldown" enabled. Should "PSF>Prog" be enabled or disabled?

I'm confused because the instructions for setting up the HDX900 at 1080 23.98p indicate that "PSF>Prog" should be disabled. Is this because a true progressive frame is extracted when the pulldown is removed?

Sorry to bring this up again, but I want to make sure I have it set right.

Thanks,
Kirk

Dan Keaton October 10th, 2011 07:11 PM

Dear Kirk,

When you have Video|Remove 3:2 Pulldown checked,
please leave Video Record PSF>Prog(ressive) unchecked.

Once you check the Remove 3:2 Pulldown, the nanoFlash will remove the Pulldown Frames (duplcate frames) and record true progressive frames.

Ned Soltz October 10th, 2011 07:21 PM

Maybe I can help-- particularly since I was shooting today with F3 and 2 NanoFlashes in different configurations.

If you set the F3 for Dual Link and go out the SDI A at the top, it is putting out a 1080 23.98 over 59.94 meaning that on the Nano you disable PsF but select 2:3 pulldown. This will give you 23.98 to the CF cards.

If you are shooting out of the regular SDI, then it will output PsF so deselect the pulldown and enable PsF.

I shoot out of the Dual Link port because that is always "clean" output in the event I have inadvertently left on-screen display on. That will go out of the standard SDI and HDMI ports, but never out of the dual link.

You would also use the standard SDI if you are shooting 4:2:2 S-Log, we were on one of the cameras today. With S-Log, you can only use the dual link SDI ports if you are shooting 4:4:4, and that puts you in Gemini territory.

Our DP today was all confused about recording overcranked footage to the Nano and I haven't done it in ages. A quick call to Dan Keaton solved it for the DP and refreshed my feeble memory. Another great reason for working with Convergent-Design products. Dan never sleeps. He constantly answers phone calls from sets, responds to emails and markets products. Sometimes I wonder whether it is just a cyborg in a Dan suit ;) But the concern and support shows understanding of what professionals need.

Ned Soltz

Dan Keaton October 10th, 2011 07:48 PM

Dear Ned,

Thanks for the kind words.

We never want anyone who uses our products to have a question, concern, or doubt,
to not receive a prompt answer.

I fully understand when someone is on set, they need an answer now, not five minutes from now, or on Monday.

I try hard to answer the phones 24/7.

Here is the link to all of my phone numbers and the phone numbers of our support team.

Support Contacts | Convergent Design

Kirk Miller October 10th, 2011 09:46 PM

Thank you both for your information. I believe I've wrapped my head around it now.

Ned, I would prefer to use the SDI A port out, but I'm using an HDMI viewfinder, and the SDI A/B ports cut out when I switch HDMI on. And the output has to have pulldown on it or the HDMI won't work.

Unless I'm missing something: Is there a way to have both HDMI and the A/B ports active at the same time?

Would much rather be using those ports. I hate losing all the screen data to my 17" monitor.

Kirk

Dan Keaton October 10th, 2011 11:37 PM

Dear Kirk,

What firmware do you have in your F3?

If I remember correctly, you should be able to output via HDMI and SDI port simultaneously, but not with early version of the F3 firmware.

Robin Probyn October 12th, 2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1687721)
Dear Kirk,

When you have Video|Remove 3:2 Pulldown checked,
please leave Video Record PSF>Prog(ressive) unchecked.

Once you check the Remove 3:2 Pulldown, the nanoFlash will remove the Pulldown Frames (duplcate frames) and record true progressive frames.

Now Iam confused a bit.. Iam sure I have PSF > Prog checked on the HDX900 (to get 29.98p from 59.98 i) AND then check 3;2 pull down to make it the 29.98p to 23.98p.. ????

After playing around I see checking pull down will make it go directly from 59i to 23pd.. if PSF>Prog is checked or not.. Iam sure I was told some where down the line that PSF>Prog had to be checked first?? even after all this time it seems I still havnt got my head around the HDX900 sysetm !!!! grrr
Can someone put it here at total idiot level.. step by step..

Thanks..

Dan Keaton October 13th, 2011 04:41 AM

Dear Robyn,

Actual it should not make a difference.

But, we tested it with the Record PSF> Prog off, and it works fine.

And, one time, someone reported to me that it does not work with it on.

Thus, I recommend leaving it off.

Robin Probyn October 13th, 2011 11:53 PM

Ok thanks Dan