DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   New Odyssey7Q Firmware 1.11.100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/522753-new-odyssey7q-firmware-1-11-100-a.html)

Dan Keaton April 14th, 2014 02:14 PM

New Odyssey7Q Firmware 1.11.100

Dear Friends,

We have just posted our latest firmware, 1.11.100, for the Odyssey7Q.

This, of course, is a free firmware update.

We released this new version, rather quickly, after our last firmware release.

We intend to continue this practice of fixing any outstanding issues, and adding new features on a regular basis.

These improvements and fixes are based on feedback from our users.

As always, I try to make myself available, via the telephone, 24/7 for support.

Of course there are certain times, that I may not be available, but this is my cell phone number.

My best number to call is: seven one nine - nine three zero - one three seven six

This is a number in the United States. Country Code 1

During normal business hours (in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA) you may also call the following number for support: seven two zero - two two one - three eight six one

To download this firmware, please go to our website:

Firmware Updates \\ Odyssey7Q

Release Notes Odyssey7Q Firmware 1.11.100

New Features (All Modes)

Zoom Memory

When using Pixel Zoom, the screen coordinates in 1:1 and 2:1 zoom modes are remembered
from previous use.

Drag with finger on OLED display to position zoom window.

Window will return to same position upon returning to Pixel Zoom setting.

Reset zoom window to center by tapping frame reference map in lower right corner.

Coordinates are retained until changing record mode or powering down Odyssey7Q.

Multi-Stream

Multi-Stream interface updated with A/B/C/D input selector buttons.

Multi-Stream initializes in Quad Split view (display divided into four separate images).

Tap A, B, C, or D buttons to select a single input for full screen display.
Inputs can be directly switched to by selecting the corresponding button without need to scan through other inputs.

To return to Quad Split view, tap on the currently selected input to de-select it.

Sony FS700 Record Option

FS700 4K -> HD ProRes (4K2HD)

4K2HD in REC709 (800%)

Added support for REC709 (800%) gamma setting.

On FS700, in Picture Profile menu, select a Picture Profile with Gamma set to ITU709(800%).

This setting increases Dynamic Range in highlights by three stops.

4K2HD LUTs

Added LUT function in 4K2HD mode.

If S-LOG2 or REC709 (800%) is selected as camera gamma, tapping LUT button applies a LUT to adjust viewed image to a standard REC709 without altering the recording.

The LUT is applied to the OLED display as well as SDI and HDMI outputs.

Fixes & Improvements

All Modes

• Menu setting MENU » OUTPUTS » MONITORING changed to OVERLAYS to more accurately
reflect function.

On/off setting enables/disables image analysis tools such as Waveform and
False Color to output over video signal to SDI and HDMI outputs.

• Waveform and Histogram markers remain available during recording

Multi-Stream

• Fixed support for PSF input signals (1080psf 23.976/24/25/29.97)

ProRes(HQ)

• Reduced extremely rare file corruption occurrence on particular units.

Error only occurs after more than one hour of continuous recording and even then it is a rare event.

• HDMI input expanded from legalized to full range

• Fixed “Variframe mode detected” compatibility issue with Canon C300

4K2HD

• Reduced color fringing at high contrast edges

• Reduced noise in dark areas

Apple ProRes(HQ) & 4K2HD

• Fixed multiple file playback

• Fixed audio channel flipping between ProRes files within a clip

• Fixed end of clip playback freeze of ProRes files

• Fixed playback shift on Odyssey7Q

• Fixed Timecode accuracy on file transitions within a clip

DPX

• Fixed end of clip playback issues

Known Issues

Apple ProRes(HQ) & 4K2HD

• Extremely rare file corruption occurrence on particular units. Error only occurs after more
than one hour of continuous recording and even then it is a rare event.

Apple ProRes(HQ)

• HDMI input audio does not pass through to SDI & HDMI outputs

• With HDMI input, repeated use of Pixel Zoom can cause file corruption and/or monitored image
issues.

• In playback of HDMI recording on Odyssey, image can show subtle white static. This artifact is
not contained in the recorded files.

FS700 Raw

• 200fps material plays back at incorrect speed. All frames are recorded correctly.

Canon RAW

• Playback of 50p & 60p material is jittery. This artifact is not contained in the recorded files.

Canon RAW & ARRIRAW

• HDMI out not functioning in Canon Raw and ARRIRAW
Multi-Stream

• When de-selecting an input to return to Quad Split view, the de-selected input can sometimes
appear horizontally stretched within the Quad Split.

Respectfully,

Tim Dashwood April 14th, 2014 08:49 PM

Re: New Odyssey7Q Firmware 1.11.100

Thank you Dan.

I see that display LUT support of SLog2-->REC709 is now available for the FS700 4K2HD mode, but will it be possible for us to load our own custom LUTs into the Odyssey7Q?

Leonard Levy April 15th, 2014 01:15 AM

The 7Q does so many things with the FS700 I get confused.
When you talk about the improvements to 4K2HD here, are you talking about the 4KRaw downconvert to HD that everyone says is so good?

Also do I understand correctly that you can record 4K either in ProRes or 12bit Raw now?

Dan Keaton April 15th, 2014 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 1841416)
Thank you Dan.

I see that display LUT support of SLog2-->REC709 is now available for the FS700 4K2HD mode, but will it be possible for us to load our own custom LUTs into the Odyssey7Q?

Dear Tim,

We have standard Log to Rec. 709 LUT's preloaded into the Odyssey7Q.

We have specific LUT's that we use, depending on which mode we are in, and which camera is being used.

For example, for the FS700 we use S-Log 2 to Rec. 709, unless one is using the S-Log 2 800% mode in the FS700.

For the ALEXA, we use a specific ARRI LUT for each Exposure Index that one has selected on the camera.

Etc.

We have not enabled the use of Custom LUT's yet, this is coming in a future firmware release.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton April 15th, 2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1841432)
The 7Q does so many things with the FS700 I get confused.

1. When you talk about the improvements to 4K2HD here, are you talking about the 4KRaw downconvert to HD that everyone says is so good?

2. Also do I understand correctly that you can record 4K either in ProRes or 12bit Raw now?

Dear Leonard,

1. Yes. And I agree with your comment.

Our FS700 4K Raw to HD mode has significantly improved the quality of HD that can be recorded from the FS700. We are very pleased with the quality of these images.

2. No. We can record 4K Raw from the Sony FS700, in 12-Bit, in CinemaDNG (thus we are recording Raw files.

We cannot yet take 4K Raw from the FS700 and then record in a compressed format.

We are working very hard to implement this as soon as possible.

We are first working on a prerequisite feature, which is an enabling technology for us to record 4K Raw to a compressed codec.

We are working to increase our Apple ProRes 422 codec from 30 frames a second to 60 frames a second.

We are getting close to having this ready.

Respectfully,

Dave Allen April 15th, 2014 08:32 PM

Dan, hopefully it won't be too long before you guys can implement time lapse in 4K RAW as time lapse is pretty much de rigeur these days.

Leonard Levy April 15th, 2014 11:10 PM

Dan,

Thanks -
I think you missed one of my questions - perhaps because its obvious to you:

1 - Re FS700 - When you say - "4K2HD" - does that refer to 4K Raw downconvert to HD ?

( I seem to recall another way to directly record to HD on the 7Q but maybe I'm confusing that with another recorder.- perhaps using the 8 bit SDI out which isn't ideal by a long shot.)

2 - Also Does that have to be recorded as Slog2 or can you take it to 709 800%

I am impressed that you have been able to really pull most of this off. I was skeptical at first. For me adding 4K compressed would really put the cherry on top.

Lenny

Dan Keaton April 16th, 2014 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1841616)
Dan, hopefully it won't be too long before you guys can implement time lapse in 4K RAW as time lapse is pretty much de rigeur these days.

Dear Dave,

I have noted your request for time-lapse in our 4K Raw mode.

I will speak with our team about your request.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton April 16th, 2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1841627)
Dan,

Thanks -
I think you missed one of my questions - perhaps because its obvious to you:

1 - Re FS700 - When you say - "4K2HD" - does that refer to 4K Raw downconvert to HD ?

( I seem to recall another way to directly record to HD on the 7Q but maybe I'm confusing that with another recorder.- perhaps using the 8 bit SDI out which isn't ideal by a long shot.)

2 - Also Does that have to be recorded as Slog2 or can you take it to 709 800%

I am impressed that you have been able to really pull most of this off. I was skeptical at first. For me adding 4K compressed would really put the cherry on top.

Lenny

Dear Lenny,

Yes, 4K2HD mode is when we accept 4K Raw from the Sony FS700 camera, deBayer it, apply white balance, and downconvert it to HD, then record it in Apple ProRes 422 in HQ (220 Mbps) mode.

The secret sauce is in multiple items, first in that the FS700 provides 12-Bit bit-depth in this mode, and in the very high quality deBayer that we implemented, and in other processes that implemented for this mode.

I am very happy to report that the reviewers love this mode, as do we.

At this time, both our Apple ProRes 422 modes, one from the 8-Bit HD-SDI output when the FS700 is in HD mode, or the 12-Bit output when the FS700 is in 4K Raw mode, are limited to up to 1080p30.

We are working hard to increase this to so that 1080p60 (and 1080p50) are supported as well.

----------------

Yes, with this 1.11.100 firmware release, you can now use, in the FS700, the S-Log 2 800% mode, which gives you extra stops of dynamic range.

If you set this camera setting, in the Picture Profile that you are using, then the Odyssey7Q will automatically process the signal accordingly, when the image is displayed, provided that the LUT is activated (using the LUT button on the Odyssey7Q).

Please note, that, of course, if you are using this setting in the camera, then we will record the images obtained from the FS700 using the S-Log 2 800% intact (without applying a LUT) as we should to preserve the high dynamic range of the images for Post.

Respectfully,

Leonard Levy April 16th, 2014 12:05 PM

thanks Dan