DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Process C500 rmf through Adobe Camera Raw (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/522840-process-c500-rmf-through-adobe-camera-raw.html)

Karl Kim April 18th, 2014 09:17 AM

Process C500 rmf through Adobe Camera Raw

Hi Dan, this message is directed towards you.
I'm looking for a way to process Canon C500 raw files through Adobe Camera Raw via After Effects, then a transcode via Media Encoder. The reason is very simple- image quality. Color reproduction and latitude. It's a heavy workflow, but for feature films we have the time and the need to get the best image within budget.

I'm in the middle of shooting a feature and I have two C500s sitting in cases because an FS700 I picked up for high frame rate (shooting 2K RAW) and a ML hacked 5DMk2 looks so much better with our workflow.

An RMF to DNG converter would also work, but have not found one online yet, designed for image sequences out of the C500. Any leads would be of tremendous help.

Dan Keaton April 18th, 2014 10:19 AM

Re: Process C500 rmf through Adobe Camera Raw

Dear Karl,

In order to answer your question, I downloaded and installed the Canon Raw Development software to see if there were any new options.

I did not find a way to output to CinemaDNG.

Personally, I do not have Adobe After Effects, so I could not test if it outputs CinemaDNG.

Thus, at this moment, the best I can offer is to enlist the help of one of our support team members.

I will ask him to reply to your post as soon as practical.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton April 18th, 2014 10:30 AM

Dear Karl,

I have also responded to your email.

I hope we can find a solution for you.

Respectfully,

Karl Kim April 18th, 2014 02:03 PM

Hi Dan,
I just updated my email address-

I should add if anyone knew of a program that can process Canon rmf files with as much control as Adobe Camera Raw, that is another solution I'm looking for.

I'm not too interested in processing rmf files with Resolve. The image quality is significantly better with ACR.

Dan Keaton April 18th, 2014 02:05 PM

Dear Karl,

Thank you.

John Mastrogiacomo April 19th, 2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1842046)
Personally, I do not have Adobe After Effects, so I could not test if it outputs CinemaDNG.

I just checked and it doesn't (latest CC version).

Karl Kim April 19th, 2014 04:24 AM

Thanks John,
an Adobe team member did advise that ACR will not read rmf files. He suggested I file a feature request, which I did.