DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   FS700 4K Compressed - any idea when? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/523103-fs700-4k-compressed-any-idea-when.html)

Clermond Ferrand May 21st, 2014 08:12 AM

Re: FS700 4K Compressed - any idea when?

Thanks Dan for your kind reply. Looking forward to getting things accelerated.
Best regards
Cler

John Mitchell May 26th, 2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1845546)
Dear John,

I am using one low cost CompactFlash card for comparison.

A Transcend 400x 32 GB CompactFlash card costs $33.50.

This is a card rated at up to 45 Megabytes per second write speed.

256 GB of these cards cost $268 (All US Prices).

Our 256 GB SSD supports writes at around 500 Megabytes per second, far greater than 45 Megabytes per second, but the cost of our SSD is just a little greater.

Our 256 SSD costs $395 and has built in power protection in case power is lost.

And our SSD's use less power than all other SSD's as far as we know (and this applies to all SSD's that we have tested).

And, as far as we know, our SSD's cost less than any other professional media.

------------------

I attempted to find a 4K ProRes sample file on our website, but I could not.

I don't doubt that it exists or did exist, but it was not created (directly) by the Odyssey7Q.

We may have recorded a 4K Raw file, then rendered it out to Apple ProRes 4K,
so that many users could see the 4K Footage.

But, we are working very hard to provide 4K to a compressed codec as soon as possible.

The enabling infrastructure in our firmware is nearly complete. There are three parts to this enabling infrastructure:

1. Recording to a compressed codec at a high speed,

2. Playback of the compressed file at high speed, and

3. Rate control, during recording so that we meet the required specifications for the codec.

Items 1 and 2 are complete and we are working on Item 3.

(I am anxiously awaiting for the day when Item 3 is finished, as then our ability to provide 4K to a compressed codec should follow relatively soon thereafter.)

We intend to offer, for free, the ability to record 4K to a compressed codec, in 4K,
for the F55, for the Panasonic GH4 + YAGH, and for other cameras that output 4K, full uncompressed, over four HD-SDI 1.5G video streams, which is the industry standard for driving 4K Monitors.

And we intend to offer the ability to record 4K to a compressed codec for the Sony FS700 and Canon C500 as part of our extra cost options that support these cameras.

Thus, if you have the Odyssey7Q and want to record 4K to a compressed codec, from the F55 or GH4+YAGH, there will not be an extra option charge.

And if you already have the FS700 Raw Option, or the Canon C500 Raw Option, then there will not be an extra charge either.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Dan here is the link directly from your website - it has been there since that page was started and there is nothing on the page to suggest it was created separately on a third party program. No offence but you should know what is on your own website..

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/w...KProRes422.zip

John Mitchell May 26th, 2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1845546)
Dear John,

I am using one low cost CompactFlash card for comparison.

A Transcend 400x 32 GB CompactFlash card costs $33.50.

This is a card rated at up to 45 Megabytes per second write speed.

256 GB of these cards cost $268 (All US Prices).

Our 256 GB SSD supports writes at around 500 Megabytes per second, far greater than 45 Megabytes per second, but the cost of our SSD is just a little greater.

Our 256 SSD costs $395 and has built in power protection in case power is lost.

And our SSD's use less power than all other SSD's as far as we know (and this applies to all SSD's that we have tested).

And, as far as we know, our SSD's cost less than any other professional media.

And respectfully if you read my post all I said was the cost of buying an additional 2 x 512GB added significant expense to the units (US$1600). Of course said SSDs are way overpriced in Australia meaning we either have to import them from overseas or pay a $US250 premium per drive before GST..

Dave Allen May 26th, 2014 11:23 PM

For the record, Dan never blamed Apple for the ProRes delay. I did...oops, did I say that?! lol ;)

I do like Ikan's battery plate solution as it powers it through the back, no jack lead needed, and I have their D7W....but the Odyssey smokes it on all other criteria.... well, maybe not price, lol.

The Odyssey/CD supplied battery plate power feed wire REALLY needs a strain relief on both ends, especially the metal male pin end. I would like to see a female port on the plate end too so one could carry a spare power cable in case it got yanked.

It would be great if all known battery plate solutions, all known mount arms, cages, etc, were all referenced on CD's website.

Ole Salomonsen May 29th, 2014 05:39 PM

Hi all,

I am new here, and I am have invested in a FS700R + CD 7Q (2x512GB SSD).
I am nature/landscape photographer who will be shooting in arctic territories with this setup.

Sorry to start off with criticism, and I am sure you are working hard, but like Clermond Ferrand, I have to say I am also one of them who have invested in the FS700R + 7Q due to the marketed features of the 7Q, and still waiting for 4K ProRes.

I am not only looking forward to 4K ProRes support, but also the promised 4K 120fps slomo feature.
I am shooting a whole 4K project this summer (not autumn, but summer!), and although I have a powerful computer, the SSD quickly fill up with shooting RAW. And it is also very annoying having to shoot in 2K to get slow motion.

I understand you have a limited workforce, hence In my opinion, both 4K ProRes and 4K slowmotion are more important features, and should be prioritized prior to adding time-lapse functionality to an expensive dedicated video camera + video recorder.

The quality of the FS700R + 7Q is outstanding, I love them both! But as it looks now I am actually forced to rent RED cameras to do my work, and I just don't hope the advertised and missing 4K functionality of the 7Q will take so long that the RED rental cost get so high that I should/could have bought a RED rather than FS700R+7Q.

Looking forward to the next firmware upgrade for the 7Q.

Best,
Ole

Cees van Kempen July 27th, 2014 11:24 AM

Any news on this?

Herschel Horton July 28th, 2014 08:46 AM

Cees van Kempen wrote:
"Any news on this?"

Well, there's no news on the Compressed 4K option, which is, I think, a major feature that we all were sold on for the 7Q.

However, before I purchased the 7Q I looked at the current features and determined that I would get value out of them NOW.

And then I looked at the promised features that they would be adding in the near future.

I took both into consideration and went ahead and purchased the 7Q a couple of months ago. I love the monitor quality and features and the 4K RAW and down sample to 2K.

For me, I do want the 4K compressed ASAP.

The only new "news" is that they just released the 7 and the new firmware for both the 7 and 7Q. I think if you look at Convergent Designs product strategy, they are trying to make sure they have a low end HD option to compete with Atomos before they finish up on the promised 7Q features.

The good news is that seem to be growing (new website and building) so as long as they get to the new features, as promised, and get them this year, I guess we will have made a good bet with going with Convergent Design.

The other good news is that we live in a world where software defines a product more than the actual hardware. The bad news, software development is literally "buggy" and takes time to do it well.

Dan & Mitch, I know you hate communicating a potential release for 4K compressed, but can you give a 3 month window? Something to dream about and something to keep us calm?

Dan Keaton July 29th, 2014 10:09 AM

Dear Friends,

Our Number One Priority is to add a compressed 4K codec to the Odyssey7Q.

(Note that the Odyssey7 does not support recording 4K, only the Odyssey7Q).

If we find a major problem in the code that we recently released (2.10.141), then of course we will have to address the issue.

Other features and improvements will be added to the firmware release, if they do not impact our ability to provide the compressed 4K Codec in our next release.

Respectfully,