DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Panasonic Lumix GH4, 4K Video to Odyssey? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/523444-panasonic-lumix-gh4-4k-video-odyssey.html)

Ronald Jackson May 27th, 2014 03:40 PM

Panasonic Lumix GH4, 4K Video to Odyssey?

Will this work? GH4 ouputs, I think, 10 bit 4:2:2 in 4K but you need an external recorder.

Ron

Gary Huff May 27th, 2014 08:54 PM

Re: Panasonic Lumix GH4, 4K Video to Odyssey?

No, the Odyssey does not currently support recording 4K video from the GH4, only 1080p at ProRes HQ.

Noah Yuan-Vogel May 28th, 2014 11:28 AM

I believe CD representatives have said they intend to add support for 4K recording from the Panasonic GH4 and Sony A7S on the Odyssey 7Q.

Gary Huff May 29th, 2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel (Post 1846908)
I believe CD representatives have said they intend to add support for 4K recording from the Panasonic GH4 and Sony A7S on the Odyssey 7Q.

I am sure they will too, however the question now becomes when will it be available, and will it require the YAGH? More than likely, yes. I can't see the Odyssey 7Q supporting 4K over HDMI without a hardware upgrade to the HDMI connection, but that remains to be discovered. No one knows for sure that I have talked to.

Roger Martin May 30th, 2014 08:54 AM

I was told several months ago the the Odyssey 7Q would include 4k codec.
But, I think I will wait for the Atomos Shogun.

What we need is a low cost HDMI cable protector.
Perhaps one with a base and clamp on the connector at the camera port.

Gary Huff May 30th, 2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Martin (Post 1847216)
I was told several months ago the the Odyssey 7Q would include 4k codec.

I'm sure you were...but compressed 4K won't be in the next firmware update, so you have to wait for the one after the next (or possibly on down the line). And even then you would need the quad input support for getting the signal from the YAGH, and who knows when that is planned for release.

Dan Keaton June 3rd, 2014 09:18 AM

Dear Friends,

We are working hard to add support for recording 4K from a variety of cameras, specifically the Sony F55 and the GH4 + YAGH.

And we will provide, via a free firmware update, a feature that will record 4K to a compressed 4K codec.

Thus, the base model Odyssey7Q will support recording 4K from the above cameras; no extra cost option will be required.

And as soon as practical, we will add 4K Compressed Recording to our C500 Option and our FS700 Option.

We will make a formal announcement as soon as possible.

Respectfully,

John Mitchell June 17th, 2014 11:53 AM

Looking forward to that Dan. BTW - why no cases for the media. It's expensive and really should come with a protective case as they are proprietary and don't fit a standard SSD case. How on earth do you protect the things on the road? You also don't make a proper drive caddy that could be permanently mounted to a computer. Sorry to hijack the thread (a bit)

Ignacio Artiņano July 2nd, 2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1847620)
Dear Friends,

We are working hard to add support for recording 4K from a variety of cameras, specifically the Sony F55 and the GH4 + YAGH.

And we will provide, via a free firmware update, a feature that will record 4K to a compressed 4K codec.

Thus, the base model Odyssey7Q will support recording 4K from the above cameras; no extra cost option will be required.

Respectfully,

Any expected release time for the GH4+YAGHE 4K option. Should it will be 4.2.2. 10 bit 24/25p, from HDMI or SDI. 4069x2064 or 3840x2160.

Almost a new project coming to us and we should take the decision before the end of September.

Thanks so much!