DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Odyssey 7Q Wishlist (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/523928-odyssey-7q-wishlist.html)

Ed David July 1st, 2014 08:44 PM

Odyssey 7Q Wishlist

O7Q is the most amazing recorder/monitor I have ever used - it's simply amazing.

It's really really wonderful - I have used it already on over 10 projects. I have a lot of confidence in it.

With this said here is my wishlist for future firmware updates:

1. be able to load a lut, preferably a 3d lut
2. pro res 4444
3. vectoscope monitor
4. free run timecode that you can jam sync. not just record run
5. still can't figure out how to get manual audio into it.
6. ability to work with the 4k output of the Sony A7S

as I said, I love this device so much.

But these are my dreams for my favorite recorder.

Clermond Ferrand July 2nd, 2014 01:45 AM

Re: Odyssey 7Q Wishlist

my whishlist is quite short:
get all features that were announced since NAB 2013 into the 7Q. Quick.

Chong Pak July 9th, 2014 09:23 PM

so it came to my attention by an editor that every clip was in its own folder, I have seen this before but didn't pay it any mind but for a editor(or asst editor) who has to go through 4 days worth of shooting, this could get a bit tedious.
Is this something that has been brought up to CD? I have searched the forum and found nothing.
My wish is that the 7q not create a new folder for every clip.

James Redmond July 10th, 2014 11:24 AM

I totally agree. Each video clip in a folder should be an option not a requirement. It is a pain to separate the video clip out of each folder James

Dave Allen July 12th, 2014 12:33 AM

A revamp of the clip review interface is planned in the next firmware release.

As it is currently, putting an x in the clip check box versus selecting the clip with the fine rectangular white line box is not intuitive.

Chong Pak July 12th, 2014 06:09 AM

I think the clip review is fine on the 7q itself but its the file structure once loaded into the computer thats a pain in the ass and very time consuming.

Mat Thompson July 12th, 2014 08:51 AM

For me it would be as follows.

- Playback with pause / shuttle
- Cache recording for high speed
- Sound / Jam sync - (Timecode slips and annoys soundys at the moment)
- ProRes 4k and 2k Highspeed

Thanks
Mat

Dave Huntley July 13th, 2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clermond Ferrand (Post 1850677)
my whishlist is quite short:
get all features that were announced since NAB 2013 into the 7Q. Quick.

I completely agree with this. The original specs for the C500 included 120 fps.
I'm very disappointed that this has not been made available.

Chris Bottoms July 13th, 2014 11:34 PM

When you buy a piece of gear and you need it to perform and you have issues like the file structure once loaded and need to wait for firmware updates to accommodate some of the frame rates and codecs it gets a little annoying to say the least- RED did /does this a lot it and it has had a lasting negative impact on the perceived reliability of the product. My DIT would rather bring his Codex to a job for free than work with the 7Q. To him it's quirky and non intuitive- To me it's a drag because i got it to offer a cheaper alternative to production for shooting 4k with the C500. There is a lot I like about it...all of which are monitor related. I don't mean to slam it- i want it to be what i thought it would be and it's just not. Not yet anyway.

Robert Thompson July 14th, 2014 10:07 AM

Not that it might help some folks, but if your edit system has a "scan subdirectories" function it will eliminate the clip by clip work flow due to the file structure.

Autodesk Smoke does this and allows me to see all the clips at once. But yes I would like to see the file structure changed because even with Smoke I have to select "scan subdirectories" every time I go into the library and wait for it to repopulate the thumb nail...not a deal breaker but not ideal.

I would also like to be able to shorten the clip names on the 7q...perhaps even down to just a number. I don't need clips with 15 characters (or whatever it is).

CLIP----092_000

The above is over kill to me...092 is all I really need, but others work flow my vary. I would just like the option to shorten them.

Herschel Horton July 14th, 2014 11:30 AM

I would like an option to place all clips in a single directory as others have indicated. I believe that this is the way it is because when you shoot raw, it is appropriate to place all the individual image files into individual clip subdirectories.

If you have a Windows workflow the simple way to grab all the clips is to use the search option and search for *.mov files in the directory and then drag them to your destination directory. Easy workaround.

Scott Devitte July 16th, 2014 06:41 PM

I am chiming in here too because I know that Dan at CD follows this. I am furious that the 120fps does not work on the C500. We paid double the up charge that f700 users did and CD has not given us what we paid for. All this talk of future enhancements is making my blood boil. Put your resources into delivering the specs you promised. I've already blown one shoot not having 120fps. I can not afford to be renting another camera system to do what I paid for this one to do. I bought into the c500 because of 120fps. Now when are we going to get it?

Kevin Taylor July 17th, 2014 12:38 PM

>> I bought into the c500 because of 120fps. Now when are we going to get it?

You are definitely not alone.