DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   slomo and cache (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/524285-slomo-cache.html)

Cees van Kempen July 27th, 2014 11:27 AM

slomo and cache

Does the 7Q have or will it have cache record?

There is a 240fps burst option in HD. Does it have the option of end trigger (thus caching the 440 frames)?

Mat Thompson July 27th, 2014 04:21 PM

Re: slomo and cache

Hi Cees

Yes the 7q will record the cache from the FS700 - In DPX 444. But the signal (I assume) is only 8bit 422. That said it would still be broadcast HD legal and considerably better than the camera would record. I am testing this over the coming days. The RAW recording in continuous only.

Mat

Cees van Kempen July 28th, 2014 04:00 AM

Hi Mat,

Thanks for your reply. I would really like to know the findings of your testing, if you are willing to share.

Thanks, Cees

Mat Thompson July 28th, 2014 07:43 AM

Absolutely - stay tuned!
Cheers
Mat

Dan Keaton July 29th, 2014 08:02 AM

Dear Friends,

Any FS700, upgraded to 4K or not, can support a cached, 8-Second Burst of HD at 240 fps.

The various trigger functions all work, including end trigger.

When the camera outputs these cached frames, it does so at 1080p60.

Thus, right now, these can be recorded, in full uncompressed using our DPX mode in the Odyssey7Q.

Later, you will be able to record these cached images in Apple ProRes 422, but not right now, as this mode is currently limited to up to 1080p30.

But, since the burst is only 8 seconds of 240 fps, the normally very large DPX files will not be so large.

The 8-Seconds of 240 fps, will take longer than 8-Seconds to playout and thus record in the Odyssey7Q.

This mode is output over HD-SDI and it is limited to 8-bit.

---------------------------------------------

If you want higher quality images, with our latest firmware 2.10.141, you can record approximately 3.7 seconds (I measure 3.63 seconds) of 4K Raw, 12-Bit Color Depth, at 120 fps.

And with this mode, you can use End Trigger.

Of course, this mode requires an upgraded FS700 or the newer FS700R, but the image quality of the 4K at 120 fps is very good.

Respectfully,

Cees van Kempen August 16th, 2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 1856508)
Absolutely - stay tuned!
Cheers
Mat

Hi Mat,

Do you have any success with your tests yet?

Mat Thompson August 16th, 2014 04:11 PM

Hi Cee's
Yes I have. I tried to wetransfer a file but it failed and I haven't mangaged to do it again.

I was very impressed by the DPX files from the 8bit. I think with anything where you have fast moving backgrounds or lots of chaos like splashing water the internal codec breaks down at times. To my eye the DPX solution (And soon you'll be able to take ProRes too is a good option if you need the cache.

In the test I ran there was less difference between the RAW and DPX then the DPX and the AVCHD but my exposure wasn't great on the RAW . I would like to do it again.

Now you've reminded me I will try tomorrow to upload again.
Mat

Stephen de Vere January 25th, 2015 09:06 AM

I'm also interested to know the answer to half the original question - are there any recorders that have a cache /pre-record / buffer ?

I'm looking to upgrade from a Nanoflash but can't find anything comparable.

Mat Thompson January 25th, 2015 06:19 PM

A cache on the Odyssey would be a great feature !!

It would give the FS700 something it should have anyway!

Dan Keaton January 28th, 2015 07:43 AM

Dear Friends,

We want to add a Cache Recording feature, we just have not got to it yet.

We expect to enable this for our Apple ProRes 422 recording modes as well as our Avid DNxHD recording modes.

We are very busy working on Avid DNxHD at this time, as well as many other projects.

Respectfully,

Stephen de Vere February 28th, 2015 02:42 AM

Should I give up hoping for something much more like the Nanoflash - simply modernised from 8-bit XDCAM HD to 10-bit XAVC ?