DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Seeing monitor screen? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/525084-seeing-monitor-screen.html)

Dave Allen September 24th, 2014 11:39 AM

Seeing monitor screen?

Outdoors in bright sunlight, with the Hoodman which covers even the bottom, I couldn't see the screen if my life depended on it. I currently have the screen intensity set at 50% so I can get some semblence of life out of the Sony NPF970 battery.

I am not really impressed with the way the Hoodman hood attaches, as it should be velcro, not elastic bands that want to interfere with the power jack.

CD's attachment solution is far better, but on a white sandy beach and the light that reflects from the sun and the blue skies, you can forget seeing the monitor.

What I really need is something that occludes just about all light via a tapered rectangular entrance, but attaches in a properly engineered fashion like CD's nice hood.

Thoughts?

Josh Bass September 24th, 2014 01:04 PM

Re: Seeing monitor screen?

so youre saying the hoodman is no good, man? do you mean just the way it attaches or how it keeps light off the screen?

im interested in a shade too as i am looking at getting an odyssey7.

Dave Allen September 24th, 2014 02:06 PM

The way the Hoodman attaches is not good. The position of the left elastic strap and plastic buckle directly interferes with the power jack lead.

The straps should be made of nylon strapping with an elastic and velcro component. Because the back edge of the Hoodman shade interfaces with the face of the Odyssey, it tends to slide around.

It covers more than the other sun shades, but between the monitor brightness and bright outdoor sun, it is not remotely enough so I can see the monitor well.

Someone should make a sunshade that pivots at the top up and out of the way for button touching, then drops down with a bit of a retention click, and it should have a far smaller tapered entrance aperture so I can place my face up against it and block the rest of the light.

Josh Bass September 24th, 2014 03:18 PM

so then unshaded its not much good in sunlight despite being oled? you said your brightness was at about 50%. how is it at 100%?

Dave Allen September 24th, 2014 09:20 PM

I will have to try it at 100% brightness, but the battery at 50% doesn't last long, 100% will be far worse. The Hoodman blocks more light than any other hood.

I did speak with Hoodman today and they are going to place mine with one where the left strap is very narrow right where it goes by the power lead jack. We also talked about some other possible designs, and they said they can make them, but that people won't want to pay $150 and prefer a sub $100 pricepoint. $50 is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Props to Hoodman for having one of their lead guys call me back quick.