DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   7q and ARRIRAW (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/525120-7q-arriraw.html)

Nick Hiltgen September 27th, 2014 01:41 PM

7q and ARRIRAW

I've complained my fair share on this forum about the promised releases and the short comings of the odyssey 7q (vectorscope! Hard drives!) so I think it's only fair I report a good experience as well.

I was on set late night (I work as a DIT) when the DP turns to me and goes

Extremely talented and overworked DP:
"oh shit"
Extremely lucky to have work DIT (nick)
"What?" (Nick begins to frantically check the scopes and screens for the problem"
ETODP
"We have to record a shot in ARRIRAW tomorrow for vfx"
NICK
"What?!"
ETODP
"Yeah I just remembered"
NICK
"oh shit"
ETODP
"yeah that's what I said"
NICK
"It's 11:00pm it's going to be difficult and expensive to get a codex by tomorrow"
ETODP
"Shit"
NICK (remembering the ARRIRAW option that the 7Q has)
"Wait, I may have an option"

So I go home and read up on my 7q (with 256gb hd) sure enough. It's suppose to support ARRIRAW. But I'm a little dubious.

The next day I return 7q in hand ready to set it up , do a test (we're shooting 2k) and everything just works. So in demo mode my test is 100% good. For a minute I consider hey the footage is going to vfx they can probably just remove the demo mode tag, but then I think better of it and go through with the one day rental of ARRIRAW, I had to make sure that I had the newest firmware but after loading it in the memo pops up and says, 24 hours remaining on your rental. We record it and everything is completely smooth sailing.

I honestly did not expect the single 256gb hard drive to handle the ARRIRAW footage but i had zero issues with it. Now because I only had one drive i couldn't do faster then 30fps but this shot was 24fps so no biggie (I have picked up an additional now in case we want to do some faster stuff). I have to be honest I was pleasantly surprised at how few problems I had. Now again this was only for a few shots but I would feel really confident in using the 7q again for ARRIRAW. (And hope that I do)

So I have to give props to Convergent design. Do I wish the hard drives had cases, yes. Do I wish I could throw my own drives in there for cheaper when I just want to shoot prores, Yes. Do I wish they would release an update with the F---ing Vectorscope as they had alluded to when I bought it, YES! But the features that they have delivered on seem to be really well done, and everyone on my end was super happy with the results (except for post when they saw how big the ARRIRAW files are, but hey, that's not my problem)

SO way to go CD! Now let's figure out how to get a vectorscope and 4k from a sony A7S on the 7q so I can think of more things to complain about.

Dan Keaton September 27th, 2014 10:12 PM

Re: 7q and ARRIRAW

Dear Nick,

Thank you for posting.

We are again working on the Vectorscope.

We will announce it as soon as it is ready.

Respectfully,

Noah Yuan-Vogel October 2nd, 2014 11:38 PM

It did always seem so strange to me for a vectorscope to take a year to add, seems so simple compared to a lot of other features. I mean that's one of the big things that really just makes the 7q as a pro monitor feel incomplete, not to mention any of the many features still missing or broken as a recorder...

Dan Keaton October 4th, 2014 10:40 PM

Dear Friends,

Our team wrote the code for our vectorscope, where we place the dots in the correct places.

But, we had to create the graticle (the boxes for the vectorscope) and our team members were busy working on other items.

And we wanted to improve the vectorscope.

Respectfully,

Noah Yuan-Vogel October 4th, 2014 11:46 PM

Vectorscope without boxes would still be very useful for matching cameras...
And for analysis/comparison of relative color. I would have said include it a long time ago even if it was missing a few boxes.