DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   FS 700 and 7Q and lower ASA (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/529345-fs-700-7q-lower-asa.html)

Bill LiPera August 8th, 2015 02:46 PM

FS 700 and 7Q and lower ASA

It's my understanding that with the latest update one can obtain an ASA of 1000 or 500. How is that done?
Thank you

Dan Keaton August 9th, 2015 08:00 AM

Re: FS 700 and 7Q and lower ASA

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Bill,

With many modern cameras, one can reduce the noise in the images (which occur mainly in the shadow details), by over-exposing by 1 to 2 stops.

Since the noisy areas are in the shadow details (which can occur in many areas of the image), the entire image can appear noisy.

By over-exposing by 2 stops, when using S-Log 2, one changes the image so that the entire image is typically elevated or lifted, so that that there are no details in the shadows, thus there is less noise.

When using S-Log 2, there is lots of headroom, thus, it is easy to over-expose by two stops while still protecting your highlights in most cases. The attached document provides more details about this.

This over-exposed image is recorded, then in post, the image is lowered by 2-Stops. Thus the shadow details and the rest of the image are in their original values, but the shadow detail noise has been eliminated.

With the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+, we make this process very easy and reliable.

------

Recently, we added Custom 3D LUT Support, and along with this, we added certain built-in 3D LUT's which make it very easy to obtain lower noise images from the FS700 (and other cameras).

My personal recommendation is to set the FS700 in Picture Profile 7 (with this Picture Profiles set to factory defaults, which among other things sets gamma = S-Log 2).

Then using our latest firmware release, 2015.8 (or 2015.7), you can select one of our built-in LUT's, specifically, Sony_EE_SL2_L709A-2.

This specific LUT is for a Sony Camera, such as the FS700,
and it is an Extended Range LUT versus a Legal Range,
and it is for S-Log 2,
and it is an ALEXA style LUT, L709A,
and the "-2" means that it is for showing a normal image,
when the image out of the camera is actually over-exposed by 2 Stops.

Thus, this LUT brings the image, for proper viewing purposes, down 2 stops.

Stated differently, you set the camera to over-expose by two stops,
(which reduces the noise in the shadow details of the image),
and this LUT allows you to view a normal, not over-exposed image.

I have included a step-by-step procedure for using this technique.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton
Convergent Design

Bill LiPera August 9th, 2015 10:13 AM

Thank you for your quick reply.

Dan Keaton August 9th, 2015 12:32 PM

Dear Bill,

You are most welcome.

You may call me, if you wish, to discuss this technique.

seven one nine ---- nine three zero ----- one three seven six

Respectfully,