DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Power NanoFlash from PXW-X70 or PXW-Z150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/531250-power-nanoflash-pxw-x70-pxw-z150.html)

Anthony McErlean February 25th, 2016 09:04 AM

Power NanoFlash from PXW-X70 or PXW-Z150

Hi, just wondering how to power my NanoFlash from a Sony PXW-X70 or the new to be released PXW-Z150.
At the moment I'm using a PMW-320 and powering the nano via the DC out at the back of the camera.

Any way round this :)

Thanks in advance.

Jack Zhang February 25th, 2016 03:46 PM

Re: Power NanoFlash from PXW-X70 or PXW-Z150

Use a SWIT battery with a D-Tap. The Z150 uses the L-series battery which has a D-Tap capable battery being sold by SWIT.

The X70 is a new proprietary battery with no power tap output options so it's not the best option.

Keep in mind, these cameras support 1080p60, but if you output 1080p60 over the SDI to the Nanoflash, it will throw a "CODEC ERROR" and not function again till a power cycle.

XAVC is a far superior codec to the Nanoflash though, it's 10bit 4:2:2. Any reason you're staying with the Nanoflash?

Anthony McErlean February 25th, 2016 04:31 PM

Thanks Jack, for the advice, how would I go from D-Tap to the Nano?
I record weddings and only use the nano to make a backup recording from my320.
I was glad of it one time when my 32GB SXS card let me down.

That's the only real reason I use the nano, I like the extra security of my CF card backups, plus I can copy the clips from the sxs cards to hard drive then format the cards for the next project and still have the footage on the CF card.

I was thinking of getting a new, smaller, lighter, camera to replace my 320. It's getting to be a bit on the heavy side now as I'm getting on a bit too :)

Thank you again Jack.

Jack Zhang February 25th, 2016 08:11 PM

Always good to have a backup recording, even if you're missing the extra dynamic range of 10bit.

I will say though that the Z150 uses SD cards, not XQD or SxS cards. Those get more risky in terms of media failure so you should turn on the "Dual Record" function to record to 2 cards in both slots at the same time.

I'd like to correct to say the D-tap is only available on the BP-U batteries, but the S-8972 has a 2.1mm DC output you could then connect to the Nanoflash.

Dolgin has a full package for this already: S-8972 F970 battery + 2.1mm plug to Hirose 4 pin cable kit [SWIT S-8972+Hirose cable kit] - $151.95 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Products

Anthony McErlean February 26th, 2016 03:49 AM

Thanks again Jack and thanks for the link.
Yes, I see the Z150 has two slots and allows dual recording.
I need some form of dual backup recording.