DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   C300MKii and Titan Extract (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/534300-c300mkii-titan-extract.html)

Brian Hoodenpyle June 23rd, 2017 10:16 PM

C300MKii and Titan Extract

Can you use the Canon C300MKii with the Titan Extract setting? If so what are the camera setting to make this work. I set the camera to 4K or UHD and both the monitor out and record out to 4k but I only get green screens on the Odyssey. Camera is also set to 23.98 or 29.97. No luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary Huff June 23rd, 2017 10:53 PM

Re: C300MKii and Titan Extract

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Hoodenpyle (Post 1933776)
I set the camera to 4K or UHD and both the monitor out and record out to 4k but I only get green screens on the Odyssey.

The C300 Mark II will only output 4K/UHD out of the Rec Out port and only in raw. If Titan Extract doesn't work in conjunction with debayering the raw 4K/UHD signal from that port, then it will not work with the C300 Mark II.

Brian Hoodenpyle June 24th, 2017 12:00 AM

According to the C300Mkii manual p.166 - the camera has two SDI interface terminals, the MON. Terminal and REC OUT terminal. You can connect an external recorder(p.165) to either terminal to record 4K RAW data. You can also apply a LUT to video output from both terminals(p.169).

But to your point I don't thing the Odyssey can convert the RAW signal for use with the Titan HD Extract function.

Dan Keaton June 24th, 2017 05:10 AM

Dear Friends,

We support two general types of signals for the Titan HD Extract mode.

1. Video (and not Raw) from any camera that can output 4K or Ultra-HD via HD-SDI (which has to be in the 2SI Format), if using HD-SDI outputs. Camera examples are Sony F5 (with the 4K Upgrade) and Sony F55, and some other 4K/Ultra-HD cameras.

Some cameras output 4K/Ultra HD via HDMI and these are also accepted (see conditions in the next paragraph)

If one has the Odyssey7Q+ (and not the Odyssey7Q), then the 4K/Ultra-HD signal can also come in via HDMI. Specifically, 4K (4096 x 2160) up to 24 frames per second, or Ultra-HD (3840 x 2160) up to 30 fps.

If one has an Odyssey7Q or even an Odyssey7Q+, and the camera output 4K or Ultra-HD via HDMI, one can also use a HDMI to HD-SDI converter for signals up to 60 frames per second.

The converter must be able to output HD-SDI in 2SI mode (which typically is HD-SDI 3G Dual Link (Up to 30 fps) or HD-SDI 3G Quad Link (up to 60 fps). One converter that does this is the AJA HA5 4K, but be certain to set the output to 2SI mode.

Thus cameras that can output 4K/Ultra-HD via HDMI such as the Sony FS7 and Sony FS7 Mark II even if one does not have the FS7 XDCA Expansion Pack are also supported.

2. Raw from the Sony FS Series of Cameras, including the FS700 in Raw Mode, FS5 with the Raw Upgrade, FS7 with XDCA Expansion Pack (the XDCA), ant the FS7 Mark II with the XDCA.

Sony FS Raw is the only Raw mode that we support for the Titan HD Extract Mode.

So here is a specific example:

The C500 can output 4K Raw, but not 4K or Ultra-HD Video, so this camera is not supported for our Titan HD Extract mode.

1. No 4K or Ultra0HD Video output and
2. We do not support Canon Cinema Raw in this mode, sorry.

At this moment, I do not remember if the C300 Mark II outputs 4K or Ultra-HD Video via HDMI.
If it does, then the Odyssey7Q+ can support the HDMI output in Titan HD Extract Mode.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Scott Stoneback November 5th, 2017 01:07 PM

I should have looked here... just experienced this exact issue with my C300M2.

Short answer, if you don't want to read the long version from CD above, is that no, Titan will not work with the Mark2.... unless(!) you buy the 4k RAW upgrade. Then it will work.

The C300 Mark2 pumps out 4k RAW out of the REC OUT SDI and can also send it out of the MON OUT SDI. There is only 4k RAW out of the C300 Mark2, no compressed 4k codecs are output. Only 1080/720 will come out of the HDMI port, so don't bother with HDMI for anything Titan related.

The marketing from Convergent Design led me, and probably other Mark2 owners, to think it would work fine, implying that the "free" upgrade will play nice with the Mark2. Titan, with the C300 Mark2, is not free.

Compounding the lack of clarity from marketing is a lack of ANY information from Convergent Design on how to properly set up the Odyssey recorder with the C300 Mark2. I've looked, but I can't find hardly anything online and certainly not on the CD website.

A simple "how to" guide on the website would clear this up for us Mark2 owners and for AC's and DP's who rent both the Mark2 and the Odyssey for their productions. So when you get to that point of, "crap, can I use the MON OUT for 4k?... there should be a little help from Convergent Design to keep us all from guessing why we have a green screen on the Odyssey. This is a common setup in the field and the Mark2 has gained a lot of users. A page that provides basic setup instructions for most common cameras would be awesome and save a lot of frustration from users.

I've used my Odyssey 7Q+ with my C300 Mark2 for a while. It is a great combo but the pair keeps giving me headaches when trying out new things like Titan or 4k Raw. These boxes are complicated and fussy. I've also been on shoots where similar things happen regarding settings on the Sony F55 and the Odyssey.

Gary Huff November 5th, 2017 03:38 PM

Dan was pretty clear that the only raw that works with Titan extract at this time is the Sony raw, not Canon, so no, having the raw upgrade will not allow the Titan functionality with the C300 Mark II.

Dan Keaton November 5th, 2017 05:50 PM

Dear Scott,

I am sorry if we were not clear.

We do not support the Titan Mode for the Canon C500 or C300 Mark II when these cameras are in Raw Mode, and since these cameras do not output 4K or Ultra-HD in Video Mode (as far as I remember), they cannot be used with our Titan Mode.

With our Raw Bundle, you can record 4K Raw from these cameras, but our Titan Extract Option does not support these cameras, sorry.

We try hard to be clear and we do provide personal phone support.

Please call me if I can help.

Seven One Nine ---- Nine Three Zero ---- One Three Seven Six, option 1.

--------------------

For Titan Option to work, one needs a Sony FS Camera in Raw Mode, or a 4K camera that can output video or Ultra-HD.

If one has an Odyssey7Q+, then the 4K pr Ultra-HD Video signal can come in via HDMI.

If one has the Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+, then the 4K or Ultra-HD Video signal can come in via HD-SDI 3G Dual Link in 2SI Mode, or HD-SDI 3G Quad Link in 2SI Mode.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton
Convergent Design

Scott Stoneback November 6th, 2017 09:58 PM

I stand corrected... and not for the better.

The Odyssey Titan function with C300 MarkII is useless.

The Odyssey will work record the RAW signal if you buy the upgrade, but evidently it won't do anything Titan related.

That's what I am talking about... this was not clear on the website or in any how-to from CD. I had to come to a camera forum to get the info I needed. That is not good.

Gary Huff November 7th, 2017 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found it easily.

Scott Stoneback December 2nd, 2017 10:41 PM

Jeepers Gary, thanks for finding it for me.