DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavideo-dn-xx-series-recorders/)
-   -   nNovia QC Deck for HDV...Anyone using with experience? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavideo-dn-xx-series-recorders/115491-nnovia-qc-deck-hdv-anyone-using-experience.html)

Tim Baker January 1st, 2007 09:37 AM

nNovia QC Deck for HDV...Anyone using with experience?

I just did a documentary shoot with my JVC HD100 and a new nNovia QC Deck.

Can someone give the work flow that they use for this deck...it is proving extremely frustrating for me. I am about to get a RA# for this thing and send it back to the seller. It has been very disappointing thus far.

I need some real guidance with it...the .m2t specifically, but I understood that when I purchased...it should also show up as a deck device and I could just capture my clips the old way, as if they were on tape...but I cant get FCP to recognize it as anything other than a hard drive.

What is the work flow that I should plan on? If I have to wait for all my clips to convert via a second party software...that now I have to purchase on top of the cost of the deck...I might as well shoot to tape for crippies sake.

I need help fast...so if I could call someone or something...email info at tim@chameleonmvp.com . Thanks so much.

Thanks,

Tim Baker January 1st, 2007 04:47 PM

Oh...by the way....

So you all dont think I am a total moron...I did roll tape, as well for backup and I have a call into techsupport, but with the holidays...I dont expect a call until tomorrow midday with the time differencial.

I just really need to figure this deck out and if it is going to meet my needs.

Thanks.

Seth Bloombaum January 1st, 2007 08:17 PM

Tim, I have no experience with nNovia, but nobody else online on New Year's day so I'll take a shot at it.

If it's like most, FCP seeing it as a hard drive is correct. Or, even better, the Mac seeing it as a hard drive. Pull the files over to your working hard drive - that's all you want with any hard-drive recorder.

How FCP deals with M2T - check out the FCP forum, I'm sure there's lots of info there.

Marshall Levy January 1st, 2007 10:45 PM

For what it's worth, here's my two and a half cents....

...but first, I don't use FCP so I have no clue what that software does...

...and, while I've used Nnovia drives for over a year and have found them to work great, I haven't yet received my new QC120...

...but, basing it on the way in which the 1st-gen QC drives work, the back of the drive has a DVR switch that is used for capturing and a HDD switch when connecting to the computer. After switching, all I've ever done was load the files from the drive, which shows up as a separate HD, onto the computer, and import them into my editing software, which is Premiere. Again, this is assuming they're operations are the same, but I have no clue what FCP does.

Call Larry at Nnovia - he's really good with the drives.

Tim Baker January 1st, 2007 11:35 PM

Hey Marshall...thanks for finding me...I knew you used these

Sounds like the new drives are a bit different.

The only switch on the back or base of the deck is the power on/off.

It has the RS232/power/ and the analog i/o...and the firewire.

It does not appear to give playback of HDV...and its looking like the only way it is useful is in standar DV which I do little to none of.

It only records the HDV in .m2t which is understandable...somewhat with file sizes and all, but it was my understanding that I should get about the same storage amount in either DV or HDV since my JVC HD100 outputs an HD signal that is comparable in bulk to standard DV....again probably misinformed about my purchase again by my sales person...I was also lead to believe that you had two ways of inputing or importing.

One was to drag the .m2t clips/bins to editor and deal with the conversion time to get them usable by the FCP software...the other was to hook up the drive and let FCP see it as a deck and play the clips...via the "deck" into the editor as though you had tape in a deck.

I will talk to tech support tomorrow do or die and I will post results.

Mats Frendahl August 14th, 2007 04:12 PM

FireStore FS-4/FS-C or nNovia

Anyone with experience of these for the A1?
I have read some posts saying "never again" and some that praise them.
Are they reliable?
My laptop cannot handle the HD feed (Vegas on Laptop). Is there any other program that will work? Console from Canon?

Doug Tessler August 14th, 2007 06:44 PM

none of them yet !

I have the Firestore FS-C 100 and its great except the battery
lasts only 45 minutes. And its based on old fat 32 !!
Nnovia does not do quicktime only m2t !

so nothing great yet

Buddy Frazer October 20th, 2007 07:03 AM

nNovia HD

I have a Firestore FS-4 Pro HD. When I use it in HDV mode with my Canon A1 or Sony HC3 it does not work in cache* mode when there is a tape in the camera. Corrupted files are created.

My question is, does nNovia HD have the same problem? Does anyone use the nNovia in HD with a Canon or Sony camcorder with cache (pre-record) and a tape in the camera with acceptable results?

Buddy

*nNovia may call this pre-record.

Yeo Wee Han January 25th, 2008 02:27 AM

nNovia or Firestore for Canon H1

Hi all,

I have read through the archives and have pretty much decided that its either the nNovia or Firestore that I will be getting. I shoot mainly wildlife with a Canon XL-H1 and retro or cache recording is really a big boost for me. I have wasted so much tape to wait for a bird to land on a particular perch, etc.

nNovia seems to be more recommended than the Firestore. nNovia has got the QC Hd, QC A2D2, etc. Firestore is equally confusing, there is FS-C and FS-4 Pro HD. Which are the ones I should be looking at if I want the following:

- Cache recording when in HDV mode and in synchro mode with tape recording as backup
- built-in battery as I have no access to AB batteries or V-mount batteries
- user-replaceable battery and harddisk drive in case both are depleted.
- QT files for editing with FCP 5.1.4
- reliability in both hardware and captured files.

Thank you very much for any advice in advance.

Bregards

WeeHan

Denis Danatzko January 26th, 2008 09:08 AM

Wee Han, I don't have/know Canon,

and I don't mean to be vague, but I have little choice given the lack of info available. Be aware that there have been recent rumblings/rumors that nNovia has other products under development which are expected to be released in the not-too-distant future. (One expectation, based on a posting in a different thread, is that they may be prepping something to handle Panny's DVCPRO and higher formats; I don't know what they might have in store for use w/a Canon, if anything).

nNovia has been quiet about what they might be, but a few folks here expect them to be releasing something around the time of NAB. So, if your need isn't urgent, you may want to consider biding your time or renting, if possible, at least until NAB or they make an announcement.

John Vanderpoel February 3rd, 2008 04:35 PM

nNovia vs Convergent Design

I recently had several long conversations with nNovia about this matter. They finally agreed that at this time their files were not able to import into Final Cut. That seems to me to be a major problem. Their plan to migrate to DVCPRO HD is certainly enticing and would be a big improvement over HDV.

However, at this point, I'm leaning towards waiting for Convergent Designs Flash XDR- the first CompactFlash® based HD Xstream Data Recorder. This will give me the 4:2:2: that I'm seeking with the added advantage of the ruggedness of solid state over a portable hard drive.

Does this seem like the right decision? Am I overlooking anything?

Yeo Wee Han February 3rd, 2008 06:37 PM

John,

The Covergent system will definitely give better quality footage as compared to DTD recorders. The only issue is the price and if I had the dough, I would go that route as well.

That said, I too exchanged emails with one of the NNovia staff (prompt replies and great knowledge she has!) and was informed that they will most prob announce the support of QT files alongside M2T at NAB this year. That is superb news for Final Cut users.

Cheers

WeeHan