DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Datavideo DN-xx Series Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavideo-dn-xx-series-recorders/)
-   -   Time to start talking about the DN-60 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavideo-dn-xx-series-recorders/480494-time-start-talking-about-dn-60-a.html)

Gavin Owens June 16th, 2010 11:06 AM

Time to start talking about the DN-60

Hello to all,
I thought it would be a good idea to start talking about the Datavideo DN-60 as it has been on the market for a few weeks and is causing problems.
I had planned to use it in conjunction with the JVC GY-HD201E and on paper it seemed that it would be a cost effective solid state solution. So far, it doesn't work.
Firstly, despite the DN-60 registering timecode and effectively been triggered by the camera, the unit will not record any media to the CF card (I am using Transend 16gb 400X udma cards).
Also, the seems to be a few missing menu options like "Mark shot" but that might be down to the fact that I'm not recording media.
The battery life is pointless no matter what quality AA's you put in it. It will need a D-Tap (or other power supply) solution to function in a ENG of EFP environment.
I purchased the unit from Proactive video in the UK and because of the newness of this product they didn't have much in the way of solutions for my problems. They did, however suggest that I contact Holdan.co.uk who are the uk importers of this product. I did and the rep there told me that he is waiting for more info from Datavideo as quite a few have had similar problems. He did say that there hasn't been any issues with Sony or Panasonic cameras so it might be the just the JVC's..... (I remember vaguely that JVC ProHD cameras deliver a split A/V signal through the firewire port but I could be wrong).
Anyway, I hope this info helps as there is very little on these CF recorders and I'll keep the forum posted on how things go. Also, if anyone has had good experiences then chime in and let us know your view.
Gavin

Peter D. Parker June 18th, 2010 09:36 AM

Thanks for the info Gavin.

I was thinking of getting one from a UK dealer and he said that they were waiting for the latest model which has a firmware upgrade.

I'm going to contact Holdans and see what they say.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Peter

Anthony Mozora June 18th, 2010 10:11 AM

I have allready bought one for my Canon XHA1 and I have used it twice .

That firmare update is for capturing HDV in Quicktime files cause now is only .m2t

You can ask me what ever you want about it ;D

I bought a transend 32gb 400x CF card and it works with DN-60 great! (Transend are not listed in the manual for certified compact flash cards)

this thing makes your life easier :)

At the first time I worked with it I used SYNCRO TO TAPE fuction , when the tape ended the dn-60 stoped recording also

The second time i used it was NO-SYNCRO TO TAPE fuctIon and I think I will only work with this fuction from now on. When the tape ended the DN-60 was still capturing video :)

I have to mention that when i was testing it when I unboxed it was with out tape at all and still works great!

one BIG plus for DN-60 vs his opponents is that its works with 4 AA batteries and they are really can take u up to 2,5 hours of capturing!

another + its the weight of the item , is really very light!

THE ONLY negative that I found Until NOW is that after the Recording IS FINISH you have to go to a fuction inside the DN-60 menu and MAKE MEDIA FILES so the pc can READ the CF CARD, in the manual says that u only have to do this one but I had to do it several times till THE PC finds all the RECORDED FILES!!!!!!!!

I will upload fotos from my camera and the DN-60 if anybody ask for it :)

Gavin Owens June 21st, 2010 08:53 AM

So it works fine with the Canons also.......
I wonder why the JVC signal path are so troublesome?
Thanks for the info Anthony, I'm with you about the light wight aspect of the unit but on a full days shoot, the amount of AA batteries you'll have to bring will trebble the weight or more.
I'm still waiting to hear from Holdan about the new firmware.
Cheers
Gavin

Gavin Owens June 21st, 2010 11:07 AM

firmware update

1 Attachment(s)
There is a new version of the firmware out.
It's version 1.08.
The following is a list of bug fixes and additions

RBF Number: 12 (new_dn60_12b.rbf)
File System Number: 08

!!!Caution!!!
Please use CF card less than 64GB to do firmware upgrade.

------------------------------------------------------
Bug Fix
1. Incorrect file type displayed in System Status Page
2. DVCPro 50 24P Quicktime "Bad Public Atom" error
3. Fix frm check error during Pretrigger record
4. Fix frm check error with signal feeded from consumer DV cam.
(missing 2nd '3F' DIF block in subcode area)
5. Fix problem to resume play from pause when clip is less than 8 sec
6. Fix problem of missing marker when resume record after record stop (in same bin)
7. Battery indicator occasionally stays in low level after power up
8. Fix bad timecode display when play stop (with EXTERNAL TIMECODE selected)
9. Fix issue when use 64GB or above CF card to upgrade firmware
10. Change display message:
a. "(C) DataVideo SV " => " Datavideo "
b. "DV5" => "D50"

New Feature
1. Restore DN60 cartridge format to the format stored on CF card
2. Take out "Set Record Date" menu selection from Host FW
3. Change Menu selection UI under TOOL and SETUP
a. menu never gets back to previous level unless user choose EXIT
b. cursor position is memorized
4. When formating media, FAT32 Volume ID was added.

Known Issue
1. Accuracy for Energizer Alkaline battery
2. 32K DV audio was not supported. If feed 32K audio would
generate video with corrupt audio in AVI and MOV
_______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sad to say that it didn't sort out my problem.......
If there is anyone out there that has a JVC ProHD camera and is using the DN-60 then I'd be very grateful if you could get in touch and help me out before I send the unit back to the vendor.
It's a pity though as it seemed like it was a perfect match as other recording options for this camera are crazy money and the camera only has a year or two left in it at best to justify the focus enhancements prices.
Cheers
Gavin

Panagiotis Raris June 22nd, 2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora (Post 1539895)
I have allready bought one for my Canon XHA1 and I have used it twice .

That firmare update is for capturing HDV in Quicktime files cause now is only .m2t

You can ask me what ever you want about it ;D

I bought a transend 32gb 400x CF card and it works with DN-60 great! (Transend are not listed in the manual for certified compact flash cards)

this thing makes your life easier :)

At the first time I worked with it I used SYNCRO TO TAPE fuction , when the tape ended the dn-60 stoped recording also

The second time i used it was NO-SYNCRO TO TAPE fuctIon and I think I will only work with this fuction from now on. When the tape ended the DN-60 was still capturing video :)

I have to mention that when i was testing it when I unboxed it was with out tape at all and still works great!

one BIG plus for DN-60 vs his opponents is that its works with 4 AA batteries and they are really can take u up to 2,5 hours of capturing!

another + its the weight of the item , is really very light!

THE ONLY negative that I found Until NOW is that after the Recording IS FINISH you have to go to a fuction inside the DN-60 menu and MAKE MEDIA FILES so the pc can READ the CF CARD, in the manual says that u only have to do this one but I had to do it several times till THE PC finds all the RECORDED FILES!!!!!!!!

I will upload fotos from my camera and the DN-60 if anybody ask for it :)

good to know it is XHA1 tested; i purchased one last week but alas there is a delay from the manufacturer. any other oddities you experienced, could you explain the 'make media files' a bit more clearly? i would love to see some pictures as well.

Rene Brunken June 22nd, 2010 06:19 AM

problems using DN-60 with XH-A1

I have trouble in using the dn-60 on the XH-A1.
Scenesplitting doesn't work correctly.
On the beginning and ending of each scene there are bad frames.
Also the last 12 frames of a scene contain images from the next scene.
Any body seen similiar behavior?

Another problem is formatiing of one of the 2 32 Gb kingston CF card.
one card is functioning correct but the other can not be formatted ( takes forever ) though the card works well in the cardreader on the PC.

Gavin Owens June 22nd, 2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panagiotis Raris (Post 1541046)
good to know it is XHA1 tested; i purchased one last week but alas there is a delay from the manufacturer. any other oddities you experienced, could you explain the 'make media files' a bit more clearly? i would love to see some pictures as well.

"Make media files" is to do with the finalization of the clip. I think it might be a wrapper that allows the card reader to see the AVI or MOV file. It is essential in the process and can be found in the Tools menu of the unit.
G

Gavin Owens June 22nd, 2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene Brunken (Post 1541074)
I have trouble in using the dn-60 on the XH-A1.
Scenesplitting doesn't work correctly.
On the beginning and ending of each scene there are bad frames.
Any body seen similiar behavior?

Another problem is formatiing of one of the 2 32 Gb kingston CF card.
one card is functioning correct but the other can not be formatted ( takes forever ) though the card works well in the cardreader on the PC.

Have you tried the new firmware that I posted above?
It might solve your problems.......
Follow the manual instructions to carry out the firmware upgrade

Rene Brunken June 23rd, 2010 01:34 AM

I got an answer from tech support: the problems described have the attention of the R&D department and are working hard to solve these.
The firmware 1.08 update is no solution to my problems.

Gavin Owens June 23rd, 2010 11:52 AM

Glad to know they are on it!

Anthony Mozora June 30th, 2010 12:00 AM

how do I add this firmware to my dn60?

Gavin Owens July 1st, 2010 02:01 AM

The manual has step by step instructions on how to install an update.

Roland De Schutter July 4th, 2010 02:55 AM

DN-60 problems

I have exactly the same problems with the DN-60 + CANON XH-A1 as Rene Brunken.
It's delivered 1 month ago , and there is still no solution for these problems.
Every clip is disturbed at the end, and keeps playing the last frames again and again,
making the clip 3 times longer as normal.
Completely unusable as it is now.

Still waiting the answer of the technical dept. Data Video.
Already implemented the new firmware , nothing helps.

Roland

Anthony Mozora July 8th, 2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland De Schutter (Post 1545035)
I have exactly the same problems with the DN-60 + CANON XH-A1 as Rene Brunken.
It's delivered 1 month ago , and there is still no solution for these problems.
Every clip is disturbed at the end, and keeps playing the last frames again and again,
making the clip 3 times longer as normal.
Completely unusable as it is now.

Still waiting the answer of the technical dept. Data Video.
Already implemented the new firmware , nothing helps.

Roland

unfortunatly same here :(

the temporary solution for me is to transfer/capture the video from DN60 to pc like we do with tapes :(