DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   3D Modeling/Rendering package recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/100416-3d-modeling-rendering-package-recommendation.html)

Paolo Ciccone August 3rd, 2007 09:52 AM

3D Modeling/Rendering package recommendation

Hi.

Creating special effects, 3D titles and 3D particles is one of the things that many of us face during the normal production cycles. Many times we watch the special features of our favorite DVDs and see how the pros use 3D software to create some of the movie magic.

I recently found a great program that has the merit to be easy to use, well designed, fast, solid and costs a fraction of similar programs with less features. The program is called Carrara Pro and it's sold by DAZ3D http://www.daz3d.com

Carrara allows you to model landscapes with terrains, set real clouds, create 3D titles with camera animation, etc. etc.

The current version, 5.1 is on sale for $192.15, http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/carrara_5/-/? and it includes a free upgrade to the upcoming 6.0 version that will be presented at Siggraph.

Version 6.0 will include ocean simulation with animation, dynamic clothing and hair and a plethora of other new features.

Included in the Pro license there is a 5-node license for multi-computer rendering. This is actually the first time I've been able to setup a small renderfarm of 4 computers and it worked flawlessly with a heterogeneous networks of Macs and PCs.

If you always wanted to get in the 3D world but were intimidated by complexity and high-costs, Carrara can be your ticket to 3D bliss :)

Take care.

PS: I have no connection with DAZ 3D, I'm just amazed by their software.

Tip McPartland August 3rd, 2007 10:04 AM

How does this compare to Caligari?

Paolo,

Good to see "hear your voice." This software sounds quite interesting -- have they created pre-produced effects and objects that streamline the creative process?

What I have now is Caligari, and I've never been thrilled with it, starting with its quirky assignment of axis names -- the z axis is vertical as I recall. My other choice for getting away from Caligari is an academic version of 3D Studio Max for about $600, which has tempted me for some time.

Did you see Nate Weaver's post for a 330 or 350 in the XDCAM section? That's a job we're doing together with/for my friend Chris Rhodes, awesome camera and jib op. My camera will be on the jib. Nate's talking to one guy, but if that doesn't work out, do you guys have a 350 that you could operate? The pay is pretty good.

I hope all is well with you and things are going great for Jonathan.

Tip

Paolo Ciccone August 3rd, 2007 10:15 AM

Hey Tip, good to see you.
The weird axis setup is the same in Carrara and I now that it's the same in Vue. It's supposed to the be "correct" setup but anyway...:)

I think that compared to 3DS, Carrara allows you to spend less time modeling and more time doing things like set design. I see it as a very good tool to design virtual set.
We do have a 350 and I could be available. I'll take a look at the post.

Take care.

Tip McPartland August 3rd, 2007 03:55 PM

Can't seem to find that price for a PC

Paolo,

I was seriously thinking about getting this software, but they seem to be charging $279 for it for the PC -- unless you join the "Platinum Club." Do yoy know how to get the price you're quoting?

Tip

Matt Newcomb August 3rd, 2007 04:49 PM

Yeah, Z up has been pretty standard from my experience in VR and gaming. Obviously you should be able to customize it though.

Paolo Ciccone August 3rd, 2007 04:55 PM

Yes, it's the price for the Platinum Club, the subscription is $30 if I remember well, I subscribed long time ago, so it's still pretty darn convenient and you get discount for other software and model. BTW, they have a human-form posing software called DAZ|Studio which is free. I strongly suggest to check it out.

Paolo Ciccone August 3rd, 2007 04:59 PM

BTW, message for the moderator. It would be nice to have this thread back to the "2nd Unit" board since this is not about a sale, I made a mistake in the subject line, it should be "on sale". The thread is about the software, not about selling a product.

TIA.

Boyd Ostroff August 3rd, 2007 05:01 PM

This thread has been moved from the Private Classifieds to Digital Compositing and Effects. The Private Classifieds forum should only be used by individual members who are buying/selling things.

Thanks!

Chris Hurd August 3rd, 2007 05:09 PM

I'm the one who mistakenly moved it to Private Classifieds due to the original "for sale" title. That's been corrected, but this forum -- Digital Compositing and Effects -- is in fact where it properly belongs, as there is no 2nd Unit content within. Please help us and use the *entire* DV Info Net site, not just one forum in particular. Thanks in advance,

Paolo Ciccone August 3rd, 2007 05:30 PM

That's fine, current location fits well. It was originally posted on "2nd Unit" as seen relevant for its education potential. Several people, aspiring moviemakers, like to enter the 3D scene but don't do it because of the known high costs and complexity of the programs. That is a good section of the "2nd unit" user base and that's why the post was there.

Chris Hurd August 4th, 2007 12:34 AM

That's certainly understandable. I've left a re-directing link to this thread from the 2nd Unit forum.

Tip McPartland August 6th, 2007 03:45 PM

I bought it...

Thanks Paolo, I bought this. I joined the Platinum Club at the annual rate ($99) just because it seems worth continuing with them. Then I bought the Carrara Pro in the box, and about a dozen low priced "stock" models, etc.

There were numerous discounts that kicked in because it was my first order, because I joined the "club" and so forth.

After the dust settled, the cost for all was $129 including shipping for the boxed Carrara, so I was very happy. With the annual club fee, it was $219, but they give you a $5.00 credit every month to buy models with.

I'll give you some feedback on how the application works, and in particular how it stacks up against Caligari which is what I have been using -- and also is its direct competitor.

Tip

Paolo Ciccone August 7th, 2007 08:23 PM

Hey Tip.

Yes, DAZ has been giving good deals for quite a while, I'm glad it worked well for you. Please don't hesitate to ask me questions about Carrarra. BTW, there is a post that condensed the new features announced for C6: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php...asc&start=1026 search in the page for "Sneak Peaks". Exciting stuff!

Adam Clark August 7th, 2007 10:21 PM

if you also want to jump in with professional results for free, check out blender. it's gotten quite a bit of attention and press: http://www.blender.org/

i have never used blender - i use maya for 3d and fusion for compositing... but if i had not already made the financial+time investment, i would certainly give blender a serious peek.

Paolo Ciccone August 9th, 2007 08:19 AM

Hi Adam.
I tried Blender years ago when it came out and it is a powerful program but the quirky interface has been always the problem in learning the program. One of the reasons why I'm suggesting Carrara is exactly because of the interface. It has a very well designed UI that works as expected. Also, Blender has definitely a lot of power for modeling but doesn't approach the power of Carrara for landscape design and import of characters with rigging, especially with version 6 coming out. But yes, Blender, if you are willing to spend some time learning the unusual interface, can be an addition to your toolbox.