DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   M2T vs AE(CS3) + AE language question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/145179-m2t-vs-ae-cs3-ae-language-question.html)

Donald Blake March 5th, 2009 11:06 AM

M2T vs AE(CS3) + AE language question

Hi everybody,

Ok so there's alot of talk about M2T files vs AE on the web but it seems to be different for everybody. I can't get a straight answer.

I'm new to AE (CS3), I've never worked with it yet and I'm just starting a training course also.

Yesterday I was playing around with it and I wanted to start a new project, (for the record I work in HD with my Sony HDR-FX1) So I imported an M2T file by "drag and drop"... nothing happened, ok so then I did it manually, and it dosent even show them! (the M2T files).

How can that be? and is there anything I can do?

I have another question, I have windows XP(french version), and when I installed AE I wanted it in English, It even asked me what language I wanted. but it installed itself in french!! Is there a way to change it back to english once it's installed?

Thanks in advance!

Rob Morse March 5th, 2009 05:24 PM

AE definitely handles M2T files. Since you're new to AE it may be possible that you don't have a composition window open to be able to view. Are you dragging it into the project window? AE has a fairly steep learning curve and would be a bit easier if you went though the basic tutorial first.

I don't know how to change from French to English but it's not a big deal to re-install

Donald Blake March 6th, 2009 12:08 AM

Actually I did drag it in the project window and nothing happened, so I right clicked in the project window and chose "import" then "file" and like I said it dosent even show the m2t files, so I changed the filetype to *.* to see everything and chose an m2t file, an error message appeared : "After Effects : AEGP Plugin AAF"

For the English/French thing even if I re-install it and choose english it will be french!! weird hun!

You're right in a way Rob, I think I should continu my AE classes haha cause I'm already lost in all this...

Ken Campbell March 27th, 2009 12:36 AM

Hi Donald, I definitely can recommend Lynda.com and Total Training for After Effects training. After Effects is NOT a program that you just learn as you go. It's 100X more complicated than Photoshop. I learned from the Total Training CS2 basic and advanced titles, but later picked up even more from Lynda.com. And I still frequently go back to the TT discs for refreshers and follow as many tutorials as possible. And I'm still a beginner and lost half the time!

As for the language, it will always default to the language of the operating system, at least on Windows. To launch in English you have to go into Programs\Adobe\After Effects\Languages and copy the shortcut for English to your desktop or your start menu. Or you can change the properties of the existing shortcut in the start menu by adding -L EN to the link destination to look like this

C:\Programs\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS3\Support Files\AfterFX.exe" -L EN