DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   How to set the in and out point of a render? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/467719-how-set-out-point-render.html)

Marcus Martell November 14th, 2009 09:48 AM

How to set the in and out point of a render?

Hola chicos,
as u know i'm starting to use Ae since 5 days...So sorry if i come uo with theese silly questions....
EASY EASY ONE: how can i choose in timelinne the OUT point of the preview-render?
I don't know how to take the final blue thing on the timeline....Please help cause i'm going out of mind!

I ve ordered the book you suggested me....So i won't bother u with theese stupid things!
Thx

Daniel Bates November 14th, 2009 11:18 AM

Are you asking about setting in-out in the Render Queue, or in the RAM Preview?

Gregory Gesch November 14th, 2009 07:46 PM

Hi, glad to hear you're getting the books, I found it really helpful to work through every exercise, in order in 'Apprentice'. Hope you enjoy it.
As Daniel says your question is a bit confusing but:
Keyboard shortcuts: move your timeline marker to where you want and press B for beginning (of work area) then move your timeline marker again and press N to set the end of work area. You can also drag the blue handles up the top, you'll see them when you hit the B or N.
In the Render Cue open 'Render Settings' and under 'Time Span' you can select 'Work area only'. Have fun with the reading.

Marcus Martell November 15th, 2009 05:13 AM

Thank you mate!Thanks for suggesting me the books!I've ordered all the books you guys suggested me (i found a couple of deals on ebay), i'm starting now and i was going out of mind testing the software!
But now i'm gonna ask you another thing: how come my pc that is very powerful (with nvidia quadro 4gb ram extreme processor) is so slow? Somebody was suggesting me to set better values on the Ram-Dll settings but guys i gotta tell you:From where should i begin in that?

thank you for spending time to answer to a newbie like me,i really appreciate your patience!

Gregory Gesch November 15th, 2009 05:17 PM

Hi Marcus. in 'Creating Motion Graphics' pgs 34 - 41(Preview Possibilities) should give you some help. In the meanwhile be aware that everyone who works with AE hates how slow it is, so you are not alone (also it's not good with sound so be warned). What I do in the Time Control panel is set Skip to 2 and Resolution to Half, this means that when you RAM preview it only renders every second frame and the image quality is lower - but it is faster and allows you to RAM render longer sequences. When you are working, or stop ram rendering, the image goes back to full resolution if the setting underneath the screen is set to 'Full'. Hope that helps a little.

The more effects you use the slower it tends to work and some of them will slow you down to a painful crawl. You can turn them off in the timeline by clicking the 'FX' button while you are working on other things in the comp. You can also turn layers off that aren't important to what you are working on by clicking on their eye icon in the timeline.

Paolo Ciccone November 25th, 2009 01:56 PM

A way of gaining speed in AE is to precomp an effect-intensive and stable portion and then set up a proxy for that. Configure the proxy to be of the highest quality, render to either QT with PNG codec for alpha channel support or directly to a sequence of PNGs. From that point on you will not have to re-render that section.