DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   how to shoot this - make a rose disolve into air (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/496814-how-shoot-make-rose-disolve-into-air.html)

Dave Morgan June 5th, 2011 06:33 PM

how to shoot this - make a rose disolve into air

for a music video. would be a shot where a guy hands a girl a rose and either when she grabs it the rose dissolves into this air or when she tosses it away it dissolves into air. maybe the rose dies right when she tosses it.

I am guessing i would shoot this without the rose? correct?

also if you could do this, for a fee of course. let me know

Bill Davis June 5th, 2011 11:05 PM

Re: how to shoot this - make a rose disolve into air

Traditional way:

Shoot the "rose handoff" as a wide.

Put the rose in a mount (c-stand and clamp" such that the rose is in a fixed position, lit well - framed as a close up that shows the hand and the pretty rose but that covers the support rig with her arm and hand position so it only "appears" she's holding the rose. (This essentially "freezes" the rose in position no matter how she moves)

Shoot this full hand/rose shot. Stop camera. Have an assistant pluck off all the petals. Start the camera and shoot the exact shame shot but with the hand holding the petal-less stem.

Go back to the wide shot of her holding the rose STEM only in her hand - and resume the scene.

Figure out what dissolve or effect you want to use on the rose petals and apply that to the transition between the "rose" and "roseless" scenes.

If you want the petals to fall or blow away, or something similar, you'll need to go to CG. But a simple dissolve will work just fine to make the rose itself disappear in this traditional scenario.

Done.

Robert Turchick June 6th, 2011 12:26 AM

I'd go the green screen route for that shot.

Shoot a video plate of where you want the scene to take place
Shoot the handoff of the rose on the greenscreen I'd do more of a tight shot of the handoff.
Composite together
Use a mask in AE to make the rose disappear
Add a layer behind the rose with a rough shape of the rose and use any of the shatter/disperse type effects to create the dust falling.
The handoff and dissolve I'd imagine won't be but about 3 seconds which is manageable with manual keyframing the masks.

I did this exact effect with a guy holding a VHS tape that disintegrates. Since I didn't do an on camera handoff, I kneeled right next to him out of frame and took the tape out of his hand making sure to not interfere with anything that needed to be masked. The trick with your effect is to get the rose out of the girls hand. There's a few ways to do this. Probably the easiest for the shoot is to have a person out of frame holding the bottom of the rose and have the girl let go so it can be dropped cleanly out of the way.

I used Trapcode Form for the dust which gave it a very realistic swirling sand that gradually dissipates into thin air. Very cool and relatively simple effect.

Andrew J Morin June 7th, 2011 12:58 PM

Shoot it with the rose, and again in pantomime (no rose), locked on a tripod the whole time. Then you an have it as an apparently continuous shot, with the rose element being painted out in post.

If the camera's got to be moving (like you MV guys do...) just shoot it with the actress really selling the dissolve, and then dropping the rose. The post-paint-out is more difficult but still possible, and the shot would need to be matchmoved before anything else.

Throwing the rose away before it dissolves is child's play.

Put me on the list: I could do this, fee negotiable upon further details.