DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   NeatVideo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/77359-neatvideo.html)

Luis de la Cerda October 12th, 2006 04:00 PM

NeatVideo

I just wanted to share my experience with this awesome plugin. I just purchased a pro license and I'm really impressed. I had some really grainy footage that I had given up on. (I think it was +12 db on the XLH1, with a 35mm adapter on top of that). After Effect's grain removal couldn't do it. The shadows remained grainy no matter what I threw at it and the gradients between light and dark were jittery in the cleand up version. I tried the neatvideo demo first and was impressed so I jumped the 100 bux for the pro version. The footage now looks as if shot at -3db or even better and it retains details that I didn't even know were there (like very small hints of dust on very tight closeup shots). Like any noise removal filter, it's a render hog. But I think for nighttime shooting in HD this plugin is a must.

PS. I can post some examples if anyone is interested.

Nate Schmidt October 12th, 2006 05:10 PM

I'd be interested to see a before/after example :) is it a plugin for After Effects?

Luis de la Cerda October 12th, 2006 06:37 PM

It's available as a plugin for After Effects, Premiere and Virtual Dub. I myself purchased the virtualdub version because I feel VirtualDub is faster than After Effects for certain things. I'll try to post an example as soon as possible.

Nate Schmidt October 12th, 2006 07:04 PM

Awesome thanks!

Ben Winter October 12th, 2006 10:56 PM

Luis,
I bought Neat Video as well because of my 35mm adapter's grain. It works like a charm! A great value.

Martin Chab January 6th, 2007 11:53 AM

I bought the AE plugin.
Awesome!
Is the best noise reduction plugin I´ve ever seen.
Thanks for the tip!!

Seun Osewa January 7th, 2007 10:07 AM

I've tried the demo; the results are sweeter than you can imagine.
But it's so slow. Definitely worth using for a commercial film project.

Ali Husain May 7th, 2007 02:42 AM

yes i'm cleaning up 2 hours of footage from an xh-a1 with neatvideo, and it's taking 30 to 40x real-time... that's with some options turned off. :(

all that noise eats up bits on the codec so for a professional result you'll have to bump down to a lower resolution... in my case from 1080p to 720p.

the results are quite stunning actually, and as i posted on another thread, with one of the canon hi-def cameras you could practically shoot hi-def in the dark with this plugin.

i'm thinking of shooting a test with a single candle and some faces in a few weeks when i get time. will post that when i do.

Tim Buege May 9th, 2007 12:34 PM

I can concur with the supportive comments given to this plugin. It is absolutely amazing. My father has been using NeatImage for several years, to clean up old photos. He told me about NeatVideo.

As far as render times go, I'm seeing anywhere from 15x to 30x render time for DV footage (720x480). But have you tried the AE plugin for removing noise? Talk about slow. NeatVideo runs circles around it. Since I'm not shooting HD and have no plans in the near future, $50 for the standard version is a very good deal.

A nice side benefit of using NeatVideo: the resulting files compress better and more quickly. The tests I've run rendering MPG2 show a marked improvement in render time and file size.

Also, with AfterEffects you can setup a render farm and speed the process up. I've yet to play with that option.

I think going forward my workflow will start with capturing video to computer, deinterlacing it, and cleaning it with NeatVideo. That's what I'll store in my archive.

Scott Brickert May 18th, 2007 02:47 PM

Thanks for posting about Neat Video.

I bought the Vegas plugin and rerendered a couple files. The results were so good i through away the five DVD's I'd already burned for a completed project and reburned with the Neat Video processed footage.

There's more to be learned in terms of fine tuning, but it's a great tool to have in the box.

Also just purchased AE7, so I'll be lurking around this forum more often. :}

Martin Chab May 24th, 2007 04:07 AM

I´ve been using it not only for noise reduction, but if you pump up all the settings way up (of course that will need some fine tuning for different takes) and turn on the sharpness this plugin gives a beautifull glamour look with a very soft skin and a perfect detail in the eyes, mouth, etc.
I also used to soften the chroma channels for chroma keying (Y setting at zero) and worked amazingly well.

Mugurel Dragusin November 8th, 2007 05:44 AM

Just read this thread and already bought the damn thing, works like a charm :) Thanks for bringing this up.

Used NeatImage for images but had no idea there is already one available for video.