DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Compositing and Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/)
-   -   HDV after effects to final cut?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-compositing-effects/81291-hdv-after-effects-final-cut.html)

Aric Mannion December 8th, 2006 02:47 PM

HDV after effects to final cut??

I have nothing but trouble with HDV but this is unacceptable:
I've made a video with photos only, in After Effects 5.5. I export the video as HDV 1080i60 at 29.97 fps, and "best" quality w/ no field domination. It does not play for more than 3 seconds in Final Cut Pro 5.0.4 which has an easy setup of HDV 1080i60. That is bad because I need to see what my video looks like! Quicktime player only plays for a couple seconds, but it does that with ALL my original material anyway.
I tried exporting the video from final cut -now it is a final cut QT and STILL can't play.
Is the image too dense (visually) -or is that impossible because it's all just video anyway. I suspected a problem with the field dominance, Final Cut is "upper" which may be the reason for it's HORRIBLE quality HDV, but changing that didn't help.
Any clues?

Conor Ryan December 11th, 2006 05:37 AM

Have a go at rendering it out as an uncompressed, or animation encoded quicktime, then drop it into compressor and use an HDV preset to convert.

Aric Mannion December 11th, 2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conor Ryan
Have a go at rendering it out as an uncompressed, or animation encoded quicktime, then drop it into compressor and use an HDV preset to convert.

Do you know the best composition settings, and "make movie" settings from AE for HDV 1080i60 playback in FCP. My AE comp settings don't have HDV so I think I'm using some true HD as it's settings.
For example when I make a movie should it be 29.97 or 30 fps? And what about interlacing, none or upper?
I'll try using compressor, but it's a round about way, and I'm curious what the direct way is!
thanks

Conor Ryan December 11th, 2006 01:15 PM

HDV specs are 1440x1080, pixel aspect ratio of 1.33:1, 8bit, for you NTSC people do 29.97 (make sure to set your project timebase appropriately and to double check in the render dialogue box), and upper field first (render settings only). If you follow this, you will be technically correct, but there may be something else, something in your render, some setting in Final Cut or some such, which may be interfering. Make sure to double check your sequence settings in FCP and if there's no change take a look at your quality setting in the timeline window.

Since you're rendering purely graphic content, you could try rendering progressive and seeing what happens.

Compressor may be a roundabout way of doing it this time, but it's (probably) a simple way of solving the problem if you're in a hurry. You can sit down with it properly when there are no projects on the table and try rendering to a series of different standards to see which one will fit best if you continue to have trouble.

One expensive tip: upgrade to AE7.x (has presets for HDV - handy, but there is nothing in the earlier versions of AE that prevent the correct settings being entered manually)

Aric Mannion December 27th, 2006 01:36 PM

Thank you!

Aric Mannion January 9th, 2007 12:31 PM

I don't have and option for 1.33:1 am I missing something?