DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New video iPods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/102911-new-video-ipods.html)

Nate Benson September 6th, 2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Benson (Post 739725)
What a big statement to people who spent $599 on an iPhone.

Despite my loyalty to Apple, they're gonna start whizzing people off by doing this price cut stuff two months after they release a product.

I didn't write that.
I didn't know you couldn't say "*issing" on the internet
my apologies.

Anyway, back to the task at hand. Even though I have AT&T, I still won't likely get an iPhone mainly because I can simply go online with the iPhone touch. I'm still not keen on touch screen though. I mean what if you're eating a PB&J and your phone rings, last thing you're gonna want to do is touch the screen with Peanut Butter on your fingers.

Jenn Kramer September 6th, 2007 03:15 PM

You have the same issue with your regular phone, though. I have a Sony thats face is one big screen, though the number pad flips out beneath it, and it's held up remarkably well. I've had it for more than two years now and it doesn't have any marks on the screen.

It's interesting that Steve's offering a $100 Apple Store credit to original buyers. I'm sure that's going to get him back into some peoples good graces, and since it's an Apple Store credit, it won't cost them as much as a straight refund.

My wife really wants an iPod Touch, and her birthday's coming up. Not until the end of October, though, and I'm not sure if she can wait that long. She doesn't travel much but when she's out of the house she can take along some music and some movies or tv shows. Maybe eventually some games too if we modify it or Apple gets more generous with an SDK. When she's home she can use safari sitting on the couch or in bed. That's pretty cool. I think it may replace her DS as the 'goes with me' gadget.

Also after this price drop I'm thinking an iPhone might actually be in my future. We may be carrying around shiny new black Apple devices in a few weeks. I regularly take pictures with my cameraphone and the one in the iPhone seems to produce a pretty nice image.

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Benson (Post 740395)
I didn't know you couldn't say "*issing" on the internet

Say it anywhere you want, but not on my web site. Thanks in advance,

Greg Boston September 6th, 2007 03:38 PM

The one I've been waiting for...

I was one of those who was a little disappointed back in January when the iPhone was announced. I have been wanting to see a widescreen iPod for quite awhile as I've watched cameras and television programming make the HD transition.

The iPhone, while nice, lacks a couple features I need such as using the phone as a modem (which I'm utilizing right now).

So, in a nutshell, the new iPod touch is the one I have waited for and will likely purchase. The touchscreen isn't even on my must have list, just the widescreen aspect ratio.

-gb-

Jenn Kramer September 6th, 2007 04:00 PM

I've used my current AT&T Edge phone as a modem with my laptop and it's way too slow to be usable. It's gotten a little better with their recent network tweaks, but not nearly as fast as my wife's Sprint phone. Oh well, the perfect world isn't one that we live in.

Xavier Etown September 6th, 2007 04:38 PM

Looks like Apple listened to all the complaints

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20624042/

Here's a site that reports about the store credit mentioned above.

Nate Benson September 6th, 2007 06:32 PM

I'm almost shocked that Apple is giving back iPhone buyers a $100. Sure, they need to please all the Mac-newbies that love trendy tech gadgets. But it's not Apples fault that 500,000 iPhone buyers weren't smart enough to realize Apple released a HUGE product mid year and every tech gadget goes on sale to sale price the day after thanksgiving. I still won't buy one until all the kinks are out of it. I may jsut get a 16gig iTouch.

and Chris,
I do apologize for apparently violating a 'cursing' rule. I respect the boards rules and usage terms. It would have been nice to receive a quick PM or email and I would have gladly edited it myself.
Much Obliged

Jon Fairhurst September 6th, 2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Benson (Post 740548)
I'm almost shocked that Apple did is giving back iPhone buyers a $100.

Note that it's not $100 cash. It's a $100 in-store credit. Early iPhone buyers get $100 off their next Apple purchase.

Not a bad strategy. Apple will help take the sting off their most interested and free-spending customers - and will help spur sales of the new iPods.

Bill Davis September 6th, 2007 07:47 PM

iPhone $100 "early adopter" price rebate

This will probably be studied in business schools for generations.

Jobs announces yesterday morning that the price of the 8gig iPhone is dropping by $200 bucks to $399. A lot of us who paid the full price are a little miffed. I suspect it's not about the money, per se, since buying a $600 gadget is not something anyone sane does if they're on a really tight budget.

So the boards lit up with a lot of complaining.

So about 5 hours ago, in an open letter from Steve Jobs, Apple announces that they're giving what will probably amount to 800,000 people a $100 store credit rebate.

Not knowing the phone or other product margins, I'd still bet it means Apple will take a financial "write down" of $millions.

But - and here's the thing other business executives will be studying for years - I suspect that the PR value added to the retention of a large block of their most loyal customers and regenerated GOOD WILL will probably make them HUNDREDS of millions of dollars right back.

Business 101. Take care of your loyal customers and the odds of them sticking around and STAYING customers go WAY up.

Richard Alvarez September 6th, 2007 08:32 PM

Or, it might depress sales on the next 'big thing' as people expect the price to roll back quickly after it hits the market.

Frankly, it's too soon to tell how all this will shake out. Appl is playing it close as to WHY they are lowering prices. That makes the market jittery.

Latest rebate might be good... might be bad... probably a wash.

Boyd Ostroff September 6th, 2007 09:36 PM

Well for one thing it isn't not quite a "rebate". It's a $100 credit which may be used for purchases at an Apple retail store. So they will get a bunch of people into the stores, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them don't spend more than the $100 credit. And even if they don't, it's $100 at retail price so it isn't really going to cost Apple $100. Very well done, should be a win-win.

But Steve Jobs echoed what some of us have already said,

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1189...oo_hs&ru=yahoo

Quote:

Mr. Jobs said, in his over 30 year career, the "technology road is bumpy," and there is "always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff dates and misses the new price of the new operating system or the new whatever."

"This is life in the technology lane," he wrote. "If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon."

Boyd Ostroff September 6th, 2007 10:09 PM

Note: this thread has been merged with a similar one about Steve Jobs announcement of the $100 store credit

Philip Williams September 7th, 2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Miller (Post 740079)
I've had many people tell me that running with the old Ipod Classic was dangerous because it was a hard drive and could be easily damaged. Does anyne know if the nano is the same or is it flash technology like the shuffle?

Nano is flash based.

While on the subject, I have to say that I do a bit of hiking and jogging and the shuffle with the little clip is totally awesome for exercising. I just clip it to the bottom of my shirt and the darn thing will absolutely not fall off, even on 3-5 mile runs. I will never go back to arm bands now.

Er.. and now back to actual industry news items...

John C. Chu September 7th, 2007 07:14 AM

I'm happy that Apple made it right.

Legally...they didn't have to do a damn thing.

But I really don't think that Apple would want their loyal early adopter iPhone fans to become objects of ridicule.

Meredith Viera to Matt Lauer on the Today Show: "Sucker!"

Or something along the lines of...I waited and saved two hundred bucks.

"You got PWNED!"

Boyd Ostroff September 7th, 2007 08:26 AM

The iPology

Here's a cynical take on the whole thing:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

Quote:

a quick glance at the number of front page stories Friday makes clear that Apple has generated tens of millions of dollars worth of publicity through the scheme, contributing to the nearly continuous branding of the gadget into the public consciousness.
Apple is expected to make strategic use of the iPology in future marketing campaigns but is unlikely to license the concept to other companies because of the complex technical requirements needed for successful implementation of the strategy.