DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Kessler Pocket Jib™ Prototype Demo (and more) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/202221-kessler-pocket-jib-prototype-demo-more.html)

Chris Beller April 15th, 2009 09:39 PM

Kessler Pocket Jib™ Prototype Demo (and more)

Sorry about two posts in two days, but we have a lot going on right now. :-)

If you're not following us on Twitter yet, you probably missed the announcement of the new video we posted on YouTube showing the demo of our new Pocket Jib™ prototype, as well as an update on the Pocket Dolly™ (which should be available very soon). We also included some footage from the camera on the Pocket Dolly™, granted, it's just of some cardboard boxes in the shop.

YouTube - Pocket Jib™ (prototype) & Pocket Dolly™ Update

Look forward to your feedback & input.

Hope to run into some of you, while I'm walking around NAB next week.

Thanks!
Chris

Dylan Couper April 15th, 2009 10:05 PM

Send me one to test out and I'll give you all the feedback and input you want! :)

I love my current Kessler crane, and am definitely stoked about these!

From the video, I love the setup for the pocket jib. The ability to lengthen/shorten is fantastic, and is something that keeps me from using my current one more often. Do you have a price on this yet?

The slider... err... Pocket Dolly :) also looks very interesting. I love the idea of having it mounted on the jib so that you can switch setups quickly, that's brilliant. I'd also like to see how it sets up on its own, since that's probably how most people will be using it. It looked like it had a standard quick release plate on it, you would be able to mount a full size fluid head on it, right? And of course, price for it as well?

And of course, any eta for these being up for sale?

Chris Beller April 15th, 2009 11:12 PM

You'll wouldn't believe the number of people the make us that type of offer. ;-)

Pocket Jib™ price is not set yet. We still have to work out the manufacturing costs, since this is the prototype. Depending on the feedback we get, and any changes we make, the manufacturing costs could very, by the time we get to the final product. No ETA on availability yet on that one either.

As for the Pocket Dolly™, you can review the demo we put up earlier of the rev1 prototype, to see it off the jib.

YouTube - Kessler Pocket Dolly? (prototype)

Price for the Pocket Dolly™ is going to be around $450 - $500. We are still trying to get that nailed down. We hope to have them available next week sometime, or after NAB.

We'll be sending updates out via Twitter as we move forward with both of these (and others).

Thanks

Charles Papert April 16th, 2009 12:16 AM

Really interesting concept, congrats guys.

I've never been much inclined to own a jib, but this one has some nice features and I will keep an eye on it as you continue to develop it. The integrated pocket dolly function is clever. It is a bit of a shame that the pan function becomes more of an arc as you slide to the outside edges, but that is inherent in the design I guess.

I'm just wondering how long it will be before someone makes the Indie-Technocrane...!

Buba Kastorski April 16th, 2009 08:15 AM

Really like the expandable jib idea, depending on the tripod height you can get some nice crane shots;
wonder how much would be tripod/dolly/jib combo

Peter Weisberg April 16th, 2009 07:44 PM

I too really enjoyed that video. Do you have even a rough ball park estimate for the jib? Also would you consider selling the dolly and jib as a bundle? This could be really great for independent productions.

Paula DiSante April 18th, 2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Weisberg (Post 1101983)
I too really enjoyed that video. Do you have even a rough ball park estimate for the jib? Also would you consider selling the dolly and jib as a bundle? This could be really great for independent productions.

Yes, a bundle sounds great! I hope it's offered.

Chris Beller April 18th, 2009 06:57 PM

Sorry for the slow response, have had computer issues I've had to take care of.

Target price for the Pocket Jib™ itself is around $900. We are still working out the manufacturing costs, so that price is not locked in yet.

Yes, we plan to offer bundled packages, once they are both released.

Have to finish getting things around, so I can head out to NAB for a couple days, tomorrow.

Thanks! -Chris

Toenis Liivamaegi April 19th, 2009 02:49 AM

Chris the cranked dolly is the best grip innovation in this price range. I could use even battery operated screwdriver to get constant moves on this.
How would it be mounted when using it without the JIB?
If one mounts a lght weight fluid head to the dolly assistant could operate the crank and operator can operate camera on the moving head - like on a real pushed/pulled dolly.

T

Chris Beller April 27th, 2009 08:29 PM

Toenis - We recommend mounting the Pocket Dolly™ flush to our Hercules 2.0 head, but can be mounted various ways, including to a standard fluid head using a quick release plate.

More info and pictures available on our website.

Kessler Crane™ - Quality Professional Camera Cranes, Camera Jib & Camera Support Products - Kessler Pocket Dolly™