DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Panasonic 3D camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/221629-panasonic-3d-camcorder.html)

Simon Wyndham April 21st, 2009 02:40 AM

Panasonic 3D camcorder

Gizmodo - Panasonic Camcorder Packs Two Lenses for Full HD in 3D - Panasonic 3d camcorder

Brian Larson April 21st, 2009 08:41 AM

i would love to know how the imaging chips work and how many of them there are.

is it a 6 chip?

or a dual cmos or 3mos set up.

lol

Peter Weisberg April 21st, 2009 08:41 AM

won't be much longer until 3d starts to become a bigger and bigger part of the community. its begun... i was wondering when they would start developing a camera that has two lens' built into it. My only concern is that when reading about shooting in 3D one of the things about shooting 3d is the distance you are trying to film. like an extreme wideshot in 3D has different stereo spacings between the two lenses as a close up would. But i don't know how true that is. It should be interesting to see if other big companies start taking the 3D rig seriously.

With red developing the possibility of their 3D system and now panasonic i doubt it will take long for cannon and sony to get off their asses.

Dave Blackhurst April 21st, 2009 11:31 AM

"conceptual model" = 3 dimensional "photoshopped mockup".

They are just putting an "idea" out there to gauge interest IMO - the lens arrangement as shown looks like something tacked onto the front end as an afterthought, it's doubtful they've got ANY imaging/sensors/focus behind those googly eyes...

It's an attention getter though!

Bill Koehler April 22nd, 2009 12:16 PM

Look at the picture given in the Gizmodo article and compare it to this picture of Panasonic's own HMC150.

More Images

Take the HMC150, change the point of view to lower front, photoshop onto the frontend that oblong twin-lens hood in place of the stock original, redo some external colors+markings, and your done.

Toenis Liivamaegi April 22nd, 2009 03:02 PM

Completely OT: But check out the controls markings of HPX on this official URL http://www.panasonic.com/business/pr.../AG-HPX170.jpg

Ethan Cooper April 22nd, 2009 03:30 PM

So what do you guys think? Is 3D a gimmick or something that is going to go mainstream and have staying power. I have a hard time thinking it'll be anything but a fad or gimmick but I've been wrong once or twice before. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

Peter Weisberg April 22nd, 2009 03:39 PM

i think it will take its own place in the market. It won't replace regular shooting, but it will certainly gain popularity for certain types of movies. Like kids movies, and maybe some action adventure movies. I don't see it becoming a primary medium, but i could definitely see it becoming a much more common practice.

Mark Fry April 23rd, 2009 07:23 AM

3D adaptors for conventional miniDV cameras have existed for some time. In 2004, I met a Swiss cameraman using a small domestic Sony camcorder with such a device on the front. The device used two lenses and some kind of oscillating mirror (possibly an lcd-type device that was switched electronically between reflective and clear) synchronised with the recorder, so that the image from one lens was recorded on the odd lines of an interlaced frame and the image from the other was recorded on the even lines. I believe that the resulting footage was played back through goggles that played even lines on one screen and odd lines on the other, though I only saw the camera.

I wouldn't like to guess whether Panasonic are working on a similar interlaced scheme, using 1080i. I associate them with cameras that are at their best recording 720p.

Ethan Cooper April 23rd, 2009 12:26 PM

I watched an interview with a Panasonic rep who said the idea was basically that the camera would run at 60fps but that 60 would be split into 30 for a right channel and 30 for a left channel. I'm assuming they can do the same with 48fps?

Dan Brockett April 23rd, 2009 08:54 PM

I think it is going to be a trend, but will not take over the industry. 3D of any kind will still give you a headache after a while and there are a lot of types of subject matter that it would be totally distracting on.

Hollywood wants it because they think it will get us to spend $20.00 per head to see 3D films, the manufacturers want it because in order to use it, we all have to buy new everything except tripods amd lights.

Dan