DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon USA announces HD-equipped EOS 1D Mk. IV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/466090-canon-usa-announces-hd-equipped-eos-1d-mk-iv.html)

Charles Papert October 26th, 2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1438126)

An HDMI to HD-SDI converter makes a lot of sense for pro applications - it's captive, it supports long cable runs, and you can run it to a DA to split the signal for a video village.

Yes, and on top of that, I have yet to see an HD-SDI monitor that doesn't offer loop-through, so you can loop out of your onboard monitor for a director's monitor. Actually, the Blackmagic converter has two HD-SDI outputs so you would have 3 possible outputs with that setup.

Chris Hurd October 26th, 2009 06:17 PM

For Lynne, the 1D Mk. IV has the exact same HD video recording capabilities as the 7D (with the exception of superior low-light capability, of course). So you could review all of the pros and cons which have been previously discussed rather heavily around here regarding the 7D and the nearly similar (in terms of HD recording) 5D Mk. II and use them to formulate an accurate opinion of the 1D Mk. IV. Hope this helps,

Jon Fairhurst October 26th, 2009 07:29 PM

I'm still waiting for somebody to do the strobe test on the 7D in 1080 and 720 modes so we can get an accurate measure of its rolling shutter. From the 1D4 video that I've seen, the rolling shutter effect is significantly less than the 5D2 and 7D. I'd really love to get the scan speed numbers from that puppy!

Daniel Browning October 27th, 2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1438219)
Can someone tell me if the 1 D is the "ideal" camera at the present time? Or to put it another way, what are its drawbacks?

The most important drawback, IMHO, is that it does not (presently) run Magic Lantern.

Quote:

But the fact that this camera operates under most lighting conditions is very attractive to me.

I'm hopeful that the low light performance is improved as well, but I haven't seen any raw images from it yet, so I don't know yet. The 5D2 starts with a big size advantage (1.7X more light gathering area), which gives it a 2/3 stop advantage in low light. Hopefully the 1D4 technology is a full stop improvement, enough to take the low light crown from the 5D2.

Quote:

Plus it is lightweight. And its DOF of course, along with lens selection. What's there not to like?

The DOF control is nice, more than the 7D but not as much as the 5D2. If you never shoot wide angle, the lens selection is good. But if you want wides and ultrawides, the options are worse than the 7D and 5D2. Canon makes lenses for spoons (1.6X) and they make lenses for forks (FF), but they don't make any for sporks (1.3X). For example, to get the same angle of view as the 10-22, Canon would have to make a 13-29mm.

Charles Papert October 31st, 2009 03:57 AM

Update on the Marshall monitor issue I mentioned earlier: it seems that it was an isolated issue with the particular monitor in hand. Marshall was able and ready to fix it and did so within a business day.

I will be looking at their transflective 6.5" HD-SDI model as the onboard monitor for my 1D/5D setup. Interested to see whether it will be viewable enough under all daylight conditions to work without a hood. This would replace the need to use a loupe on the camera's viewfinder, resulting in a more streamlined handheld configuration and higher resolution to judge focus.

Tony Davies-Patrick January 30th, 2010 08:27 PM

1Dmk4 Footage From Sydney New Years Eve 2009

It was interesting to read Michael's thoughts about the quality of footage he got from the 1Dmk4 compared to the 5D Mk2: