Five years-Everything is Obsolete at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old December 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Five years-Everything is Obsolete

London, Dec 29 (ANI): Scientists at the University of Glasgow have developed an ultra-fast computer chip, which is 20 times faster than regular desktop computers.

Regular PCs have two, four or sometimes 16 cores but the new central processing unit (CPU) developed by the researchers effectively had 1,000 cores on a single chip.

They claim the new technology will be in the consumers hands in 3-5 years.

A game changer. So much for today's top of the line camcorders, computers, and editing software.

I'm about through chasing my tail.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I wonder if the movies will be any better. Certainly hasn't helped much thus far.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Major Player

would be nice, but nVidia has been working on CUDA supercomputers for years, promising supercomputing power for all, and it still hasnt happened.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's all relative.

I am doing things now on my fastest computer that we used to run on the CRAY YMP years ago. So there you go.
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Major Player

It is all relative. It's all related to Intel. My favorite quote from Talking Heads..."Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was." Days go by!

Cheers
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Major Player

3-5 years is a bit optimistic more like 10 years, it's only been developed in an university lab so far.

Quote:
However, he warned that the research was an early proof-of-concept work but added that he hoped "to demonstrate a convenient way to program FPGAs so that their potential to provide very fast processing power could be used much more widely in future computing and electronics."
Scottish researchers claim 1,000-core processor - Techworld.com
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

As a photographer tired of paying the Canon tax every 18 months, I've realized is that I don't need the latest-greatest whiz bang camera in order to offer a quality product to my clients.

That being said, I cannot wait for the day that the processing power is so fast that the post, rendering, etc, will be complete almost instantaneously. Hit the button and it's done.
Jason Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Major Player

Wow. Wouldn't mind investing in the company that owns the patent on that. A potential game changer.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Major Player

Super HD (They already have it).

Terabyte video files and 300-500 Terabyte Hard Drives.

But, where are they going to get the Band Width to move all that information?
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Major Player

All I ever wanted to do is make monster movies like the ones I watched growing up. I don't need any of this new stuff to do that. 1080p xdcam ex is plenty good enough for what I want to do. :)
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You know, when it comes down to it, average people just don't see what we see on the widescreen. They don't see some local news still using their SD equipmant because it fills their 16:9 screen. They don't notice when a new show comes on there is a little group of LED's on their cable box that may switch from 720p to 1080i. They just don't care as long as the picture is relatively sharp and the sound is good.

Granted, that's the masses, but worth keeping in mind when we are beating ourselves up for not having the consumer version of of the CIA mainframe and a garage full of 4K cameras.

When you think about it, it's pretty cool what we can do right now and beyond my wildest dreams of even 10 years ago.

Just sayin'.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Will it really make a difference to people here? You can get i7's for $500 that are pretty fast. Footage always has to be previewed in real time. Stable and smart software is more useful to most editors I'll argue. Animation is another story.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Major Player

Yeah I learned a while back, that it doesn't pay to continually upgrade your video cameras or DSLRs and computers. Unless you are really making like 6 figures from it, or have a truly compelling reason, then it's not worth it upgrade gear every year something is released.

You know, I just got CS5 about a month ago having upgraded from CS2.

My reasons for upgrading were:

(1) The computer I was using CS2 on, I got in 2003 and was starting to have problems. DVD burner was spotty and the sound card died. So after about 7 years it was time for a computer upgrade.
(2) It woudln't play nice with my D90 HD video files.
(3) Eventually I'm going to have either (or maybe both) a XF100 and a NX5U (or what the release next), and CS2 wouldn't play with either of those formats.
(4) I wanted to take advantage of the 64 bit system with up to 24GB RAM and the MPE.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
London, Dec 29 (ANI): Scientists at the University of Glasgow have developed an ultra-fast computer chip, which is 20 times faster than regular desktop computers.

Regular PCs have two, four or sometimes 16 cores but the new central processing unit (CPU) developed by the researchers effectively had 1,000 cores on a single chip.

They claim the new technology will be in the consumers hands in 3-5 years.

A game changer. So much for today's top of the line camcorders, computers, and editing software.

I'm about through chasing my tail.
It seems that if the chip's only 20 times faster, then the cores are individually far less powerful than current ones or the tech scales poorly.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Major Player

no different than CUDA processing/supercomputers. they rely on volume of data that can be processed; but not all software can utilize 2,3,4 etc let alone 1000 cores.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News