DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Nothing really new at NAB? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/494745-nothing-really-new-nab.html)

Steven Davis April 18th, 2011 05:08 PM

Nothing really new at NAB?

Unless I missed it, noone other than Panny announced a new camera for us live event people.

John Vincent April 19th, 2011 10:14 AM

Re: Nothing really new at NAB?

Well, some nice outboard decks announced, as well as some Canon glass... but no, not much. Seems like a lot of new DSLR/small video camera do-hickeys like FF's and compact shoulder mounts showed up, but nothing that makes you go "Wow" either in new design, or low pricing.

Some very sweet stuff mind you, but the major news had already been announced (AF100, F3), was already seen in mock-up (JVC "hairdryer" cam), or is still on the wish list (Mark III).

How much the earthquake had to do with this, we may never know, but I suspect not much. This is sort of a weird time - when the big companies are very close to releasing a indie dream cam, either in DSLR form or ENG. I've been shooting for almost 25 years and I can't ever recall a time where so much was happening so fast. End result is a combo of extreme trepidation from big electronic companies, and a burning desire to have the new "it" camera/gear.

Chris Hurd April 19th, 2011 10:20 AM

Actually I think the situation in Japan has a lot to do with it.

I wasn't aware of any JVC hairdryer concept... but there was one from Canon last year.

Sander Vreuls April 19th, 2011 10:21 AM

There were some nice multicamera announcements, such as the new triax/fiber 3G system from GVG, and the new sony SD/HD multicore cmos camera's, which look to be based on PMW-350's sensor and viewfinder..

Steven Davis April 19th, 2011 10:57 AM

Thanks, I would like to replace my cams next year and was hoping for a new HD cam that records to CF. I'll keep hope alive .:)

Ronald Jackson April 19th, 2011 12:13 PM

My sister-in law (my wife's Japanese) lives in Tokyo along with a few other relations and of course millions of others.

Times are harder there than one might guess from what one sees, hears and reads at least from our media here in Britain.

Daily earth tremors, some big ones, fear of travelling by rail/underground in case a tremor/power cut leaves one marooned in train for hours. Shortages in supermarkets. Power cuts. Road/rail network severely stressed so people/material/equipment cannot move easily, and this in a country that invented "just in time" so not much by way of stock.

Our Prime Minister suggested a temporary free trade agreement between Japan and E.U., probably gone the way of many a politician's sound-bite but useful and, let's be truthful, good news for the likes of us if it happened.

Ron

Casey Krugman April 19th, 2011 12:25 PM

True, there were only a few cameras that were even remotely new, however, I wouldn't say that there wasn't anything new this year.

This year seems to be much more about the smaller companies, or at the very least the accessory / Post companies. As much as we all want the newest camera that shoot true raw video to an sd card directly from the sensor, I have to admit, the new recorders, lights, tripods, et al are always great to see. Companies like Convergent Design, Ikan, Redrock Micro, etc are sprouting up more and more often these days, and it's always great to see the new ideas and products that show up when the year before, people were saying "It can't be done".

So, even though the new camera selection may have been a bit thin this year, I think that it was still a very exciting year.

John Vincent April 19th, 2011 12:31 PM

Chris and Ron, you may well be right - certainly the quake and the damage it caused is hard to understand here in the states. I talked with my local brick and mortar and they told me they've got nothing new from Nikon since the quake, despite having a big order, and only one T3i from Canon, despite an order for 10. Rebates are gone, and prices are up at many places.

But unless a manufacturer thought that they couldn't make a deadline in the slightest, I'd think they still announce a new camera, if were already scheduled - to that point and Panny and Canon both did announce new products.

Of course, you guys may be right on the money.

And Chris, my bad, it was a Canon I was thinking of. Very funky looking....

John Vincent April 19th, 2011 01:24 PM

Good NAB recap here from Studio Daily:
Studio Daily Blog NAB 2011 Winners and Losers from the South Hall

Dom Stevenson April 19th, 2011 03:41 PM

Final Cut X was the big one for me, even if it is months away and still in its infancy. I'm guessing Canon will come up with a camera to compete with the Panasonic AF100 and Sony F3 at some point over the next 18 months. Perhaps in the XLH1 style. In the meantime, camera's are the last thing most Japanese people have to worry about, but you can rest assured they will come.

Jan Luethje April 19th, 2011 06:44 PM

I'm also quite disappointed. Since about two years I'm looking for something to replace my XH A1, but all manufacturers seem to jump onto that fancy DSLR "full format" band waggon. Or do offer strange intermediate solutions. At least here in Germany we do need something, that fully complies with the HDTV requirements of the big networks, solid, compact, affordable and usable for events and ENG. Nor 1/3, neither full format (can't afford hiring a focus puller for bread and butter jobs). But nothing up to come....

Btw: There are indeed effects of the earthquake/tsunami. Production companies run out of XDCAM media. It's also difficult to replace Canon HD lenses, as stated by a bigger tec provider here.

Glen Vandermolen April 20th, 2011 08:06 AM

I went to NAB 2010, and it was dominated by DSLR rigs and 3D technology. Neither was applicable to me, although the 3D displays are always amazing.
Was it the same this year?
I remember in 2010 the big surprise was the AF100 mock-up.

Brian Drysdale April 20th, 2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Luethje (Post 1640907)
At least here in Germany we do need something, that fully complies with the HDTV requirements of the big networks, solid, compact, affordable and usable for events and ENG. Nor 1/3, neither full format (can't afford hiring a focus puller for bread and butter jobs). But nothing up to come....

I know the BBC are buying large numbers of Canon XF 300 for HD production.

Allan Barnwell April 20th, 2011 08:37 AM

One of the reasons we aren't seeing really big surprises at NAB anymore is that the major camera manufacturers have begun pre-NAB announcements around March.

Sony has even started a dealer preview/training online webinar that has grown to 3 full days this year prior to NAB.

If Sony and Panasonic had not pre-released this info this year, there certainly would have been some big surprises on Monday morning. Instead, they only held back a few items so there would be a few fresh things to report.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services

Dom Stevenson April 20th, 2011 08:42 AM

Jan

"Since about two years I'm looking for something to replace my XH A1"

The xf300 is the replacement for the XHA1 as far as i know. It's the XLH1 replacement that many here are looking forwards to. If - and when - it arrives I imagine it will be Canon's answer to the AF100 and F3. A single sensor changeable lens cam with 50 mbps codec. Should be worth the wait, but don't expect it to cost anything like the XHA1, or even the XF300 for that matter. I'm guessing it will be somewhere between the Sony and the Panasonic.