DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Super 35 Movie Maker (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/502280-super-35-movie-maker.html)

Dror Levi November 3rd, 2011 08:16 AM

Super 35 Movie Maker

LomoKino Super 35 Movie Maker lets you channel your inner Charlie Chaplin for $80 -- Engadget
Super 35 Movie Maker FOR $80.00.
Wonder if it is any good.

Brian Drysdale November 3rd, 2011 08:22 AM

Re: Super 35 Movie Maker

Watching the video, it has a look. so just the job if you want to use it for music videos, drama scenes etc to create that effect.

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2011 08:23 AM

Here I was thinking that the Canon Camera Naming Dept for Nov3 were heavily drunk.

Edit #1 I kind of dig this actually, if there was some sort of easy scanning process and it shot 8 or 12 fps, I'd actually shoot my next short on this.

Edit #2 Read the comments. :)

Marty Hudzik November 3rd, 2011 08:27 AM

I thought this was a really lame idea when I first read it, but after I watched the sample video I find something aesthetically pleasing about the images. It obviously looks like an old time movie reel and will likely not be a good tool for creating modern high end films, but it could be useful for certain applications. Plus it would be really cool to actually achieve that old film look by shooting on old film rather than digitally mimicking it. A+ for something nostalgic in this day and age of high tech everything.

John Benton November 3rd, 2011 08:47 AM

....If there was an easy way to pull it back into the digital realm

Brian Drysdale November 3rd, 2011 09:12 AM

I'd imagine the easiest way would be to point a video camera at image from the LomoKinoScope that they mention. Alternatively, you might be able to rig something up with a film scanner.

Without knowing the shooting format, it's difficult to tell how well a 35mm telecine would handle it, Although it could be 2 perf pull down, which wouldn't be a problem if the facility can handle that .

I gather the spec is approximately 3-5 frames per second, so not a silent movie frame rate and it's a 14mm x 8.5mm frame area, created by utilizing a 35mm 2 perf pull down.

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2011 11:37 AM

What does it say about me that I'm actually way more stoked about this than the big Canon/Red head 2 head today?

Brian, a super cheapo telecine like this would do the trick to record off of:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ambico-Delux...item4cfb013bfa
We're not talking perfect image quality of course, but I don't think that's an issue for anyone who is using this. :)

I need to see the projector thing in action first. Also, wonder if there's a way to overcrank this thing up to 8fps.

Evan Donn November 3rd, 2011 11:38 AM

I don't really see the point of this, other than maybe to be the cool guy at the party filming people with your hand-cranked film camera. The end result can be created easily in post from any digital camera source and the audience won't care one way or another how it was shot as long as it's entertaining or moving.

Brian Drysdale November 3rd, 2011 12:34 PM

I guess you have to work at a higher level than the audience, although it really depends on what you're trying to achieve and the type of production you're working on.

To be honest, I've rarely seen a convincing old film look on video, most just look fake.

Brian Drysdale November 3rd, 2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1693670)
What does it say about me that I'm actually way more stoked about this than the big Canon/Red head 2 head today?

I'm involved with developing a film feature script and this effect could be interesting for shooting a character's memory fragments.

I'm sure there are a number of ways of transferring to video, each of which will have differences in the final look

How high a frame rate that can be achieved could depend on the robustness of the mechanics, I guess it's cheap enough to run tests.

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2011 01:32 PM

Definitely has the dream/flashback look to it. I was thinking about shooting my next project on a 1Dx at 12fps, but this is even better.

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Donn (Post 1693672)
I don't really see the point of this, other than maybe to be the cool guy at the party filming people with your hand-cranked film camera. The end result can be created easily in post from any digital camera source and the audience won't care one way or another how it was shot as long as it's entertaining or moving.

Evan, the point of this (for me) is that easy things aren't worth doing. There is something about shooting on film (even terrible looking film) that can never be captured with a digital video camera.

Bob Hart November 3rd, 2011 01:57 PM

It needs to go on a robust tripod, then whoever cranks it needs some practice at achieving a constant speed.

Providing this thing does have a genuine pulldown film transport and half-decent registration, it WILL get hacked, firstly a governor for the crank mechanism, then a regulated or governed motor mod as seen in Bolex H16 for faster frame rate, then an extended magazine for acceptable shot duration.

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 3rd, 2011 02:17 PM

...and then factor in all the processing costs.. I think I'll stay with Film Effects :-)

Evan Donn November 3rd, 2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1693717)
Evan, the point of this (for me) is that easy things aren't worth doing. There is something about shooting on film (even terrible looking film) that can never be captured with a digital video camera.

The funny thing is that to me that's the same reason not to use this camera. It's not really much harder to shoot something with this camera than it is to shoot it digital and then add 'InstaFilmBulletLooks filmic dream sequence preset #134' and end up with something that looks 'cool'. In either case the final look isn't the result of something you're doing or any creative decisions, it's just automatic. It's much harder to go out and capture a clean image digitally and then blend color correction and various image filters to craft a unique look that specifically enhances the subject matter of your film.