DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   The future of sports television? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/510230-future-sports-television.html)

Lee Mullen August 25th, 2012 12:30 AM

The future of sports television?

This is taken for a big Australian newspaper regarding one of Australia's biggest sports. It sounds very exciting.

Radical plans for future of rugby league coverage | News.com.au

Brian Drysdale August 25th, 2012 01:16 AM

Re: The future of sports television?

Visually, I'm not sure if this will give much more than cable cam, however, the upside is it wouldn't involve the rigging, with the expense and time involved in that.

Tony Davies-Patrick August 25th, 2012 05:19 AM

I can't see them gaining permission to use it during sports, because no insurance company would sanction it. You could just imagine a fleet of these flying over the pitch and grounds...then a couple of them having mechanical failures or remote control/pilot problems and suddenly falling on the players or crashing into the crowds.

Greg Waite August 25th, 2012 07:05 PM

this is australia, and if the networks want it - they will get it.. especially if it is for sport..
there has been alot of inovation in sports broadcasting from australia, so i am sure that next years footy will certainly be interesting from a visual perspective. oh, i can't wait till we have cameras on the players..

Lee Mullen August 25th, 2012 09:44 PM

haha sounds very good Greg. What concerns me about these 'copters' is the health risks if they hit a player or the crowds?

Brian Drysdale August 26th, 2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Waite (Post 1750006)
this is australia, and if the networks want it - they will get it.. especially if it is for sport..
there has been alot of inovation in sports broadcasting from australia, so i am sure that next years footy will certainly be interesting from a visual perspective. oh, i can't wait till we have cameras on the players..

It'll only happen if the insurance companies and the aviation authorities are happy. Last thing they want is one of these things suffering a failure and hitting an extremely expensive footballer or crashing into the spectators. However, they may allow operations with restrictions, eg not flying over the crowd or field of play or set the closest distance to a person.

Lee Mullen August 27th, 2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1750032)
It'll only happen if the insurance companies and the aviation authorities are happy. Last thing they want is one of these things suffering a failure and hitting an extremely expensive footballer or crashing into the spectators. However, they may allow operations with restrictions, eg not flying over the crowd or field of play or set the closest distance to a person.

Thats what I said.

Brian Drysdale August 27th, 2012 02:07 AM

With the addition of the organisations that could legally prevent the networks using them.

Greg Bellotte August 27th, 2012 03:12 AM

"without noise or downdraft"...

all the 'copters i fly make noise, even the tiny ones. the propellers move quite a bit of the air to keep it aloft.

"Qantas pilots"...

one crash into even a single person will kill this project I don't care who they have flying it

"it's not innovation if everyone is doing it"...

who writes this rubbish?? :-)

Lee Mullen August 27th, 2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte (Post 1750142)

who writes this rubbish?? :-)

Nick Walshaw

Nigel Barker August 28th, 2012 01:06 AM

If a camera suspended on wires can fall out of the sky narrowly missing the players you can bet that the chances of a multirotor drone failing is about 100X more likely ESPN Skycam falls from the sky, tangles with football players | The Verge

Lee Mullen August 29th, 2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1750302)
If a camera suspended on wires can fall out of the sky narrowly missing the players you can bet that the chances of a multirotor drone failing is about 100X more likely ESPN Skycam falls from the sky, tangles with football players | The Verge

Haha at least those fellas have protection, the rugby guys dont. whooosh

Anyhow I still cant see the link between a cam-copter and holographic tv. One would come before the other surely?