DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon 6D Announced - Full Frame (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/510761-canon-6d-announced-full-frame.html)

Andy Wilkinson September 17th, 2012 02:52 AM

Canon 6D Announced - Full Frame

Info still coming through on various photography websites and engadget etc. but it looks like the video specs might match the 5DMkIII. Don't know about headphone jack yet.

Canon Announces Smallest and Lightest Full-Frame EOS 6D D-SLR at DV Info Net

Zach Love September 17th, 2012 08:45 AM

Re: Canon 6D Announced - Full Frame

The reactions I've seen so far by video people is that they feel Sony, Nikon & Pansonic have raised the bar, while Canon didn't deliver.

I hate to say it, but I saw this coming with the release & sticker price of the C300, that Canon wasn't going to really push the envelope of HDSLRs at the lower price range. Glad that the competition is filling the void.

At the very least, it looks like this is a 5D3 w/o a headphone jack on the video specs. So if you can go w/o a $1,400 headphone jack, then the 6D is a better choice than 5D3 for video.

Simon Wood September 17th, 2012 09:30 AM

So many choices these days. I was hoping Canon would announce something to compete with the new Nikons; but presumably they won't match the clean HDMI output of Nikon. Still, for people who are used to working with Canons, and want to keep the same look as their 7D;s and T3's this would be a good option to go for.

Dom Stevenson September 19th, 2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1753838)
The reactions I've seen so far by video people is that they feel Sony, Nikon & Pansonic have raised the bar, while Canon didn't deliver.

I hate to say it, but I saw this coming with the release & sticker price of the C300, that Canon wasn't going to really push the envelope of HDSLRs at the lower price range. Glad that the competition is filling the void.

At the very least, it looks like this is a 5D3 w/o a headphone jack on the video specs. So if you can go w/o a $1,400 headphone jack, then the 6D is a better choice than 5D3 for video.

To be fair "the competition is filling the void" precisely because Canon has already "pushed the envelope", even if they hadn't intended to. Also, the C100 looks to be a formidable camera for those who can't afford the 300, or don't need the extra specs. Canon were never going to be a cheap player in this race, but what we're seeing from them is hugely impressive in my opinion. They're moving into cinema production at an amazing rate, even if they're not giving the crowd who want a 50K camera for 5K much to chew on.

Michael Kraus September 19th, 2012 07:48 AM

I was selling my XHA1s to get a 5D II but I may save up a few more dollars to go for this instead. Similar price point but new technology, higher bit rate, 720 60p, audio control.

Not a bad still camera either. Still a full frame sensor, has quicker burst mode than 5D II even shooting to SD cards, and 20 megapixels is PLENTY.

Donald McPherson September 19th, 2012 10:31 AM

I wonder if you can monitor the audio like the T2i through the usb and a filo amplifier.

Robert Turchick September 19th, 2012 11:21 AM

If ya want FF and a Canon for video...no brainer. It's price point does have a lot more to do with the lack of functionality on the stills end of things plus the SD card format. As I do a lot of stills work, the 5D mk3 is a still a much better choice.

Brian Brown September 21st, 2012 08:12 AM

It's great to see so many full-frame options coming to the market from Canon, Nikon, and Sony. Since the 6D and D600 announcements, I've noticed the free-fall price of used 5D2's on my local Craigslist (around $1500). For video-only shooters, the 6D is a sound, money-saving option over the 5D3.

It's a wonderful time to be a shooter!

Nigel Barker September 22nd, 2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Brown (Post 1754575)
For video-only shooters, the 6D is a sound, money-saving option over the 5D3.

This is all on the assumption that the 6D is as good at video as the 5D3 which isn't a given by any means as for a start it doesn't use the same sensor. The T4i/650D video is the same as the T3i/600D i.e. moire & aliasing & not as great in low light as the full frame models.

Simon Wood November 18th, 2012 04:49 AM

Has anyone heard any updates about this camera?

Do we know if live monitoring will be available through the wifi to a smartphone (smartphone will be able to control the camera; what about video monitoring)?

Will the HDMI out be clean and suitable for external recording like the upcoming firmware for the 5DMk3?

Nigel Barker November 18th, 2012 05:54 AM

Live video monitoring should be OK as it's just the same as if you had one of those high priced WFT wireless dongles attached that allow you to run EOS Utility over WiFi rather than USB.

Clean HDMI out I very much doubt as otherwise it would steal the thunder of the 5D3 update next April. Has Canon ever announced a feature so far ahead? They announced the 1DX & then didn't ship for about 9 months but this is just an updated feature that they must have considered when they were designing the camera in the first place. Maybe the Marketing Dept announced it six months away to give the Engineering Dept time to figure out how to implement it?