DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Is this the RED Weapon? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/527454-red-weapon.html)

Glen Vandermolen March 27th, 2015 04:45 AM

Is this the RED Weapon?

Looks like it, compliments of Peter Jackson:

What Does The RED Weapon Camera Look Like? Just Ask Peter Jackson | Cinescopophilia

Gary Huff March 27th, 2015 07:03 AM

Re: Is this the RED Weapon?

Interesting, I originally surmised that they would be headed towards a more "shoulder mount" form factor, but looks like it's far more the opposite direction.

Allan Barnwell March 27th, 2015 08:32 AM

It looks like RED is accommodating better shoulder mount configurations by moving the ports from the bottom of the back to the side while still enabling a very modular camera body. RED is moving into live broadcasts as well as their existing cinema style workflows - see my recent post on our live SXSW 4K streaming event which we shot with Epic Dragons and 4K Broadcast Modules.

Also - I don't know if the LCD is standard on the body or an option. I looks like a reconfigured Switchblade.

That's something I think should be standard as I hate having to connect an external touch display just to get at settings (or buy another of their interface solutions).

An I can't make a comment about RED without throwing in a plug for us as a source for all your RED purchases as well as any 3rd party accessories!

Dylan Couper March 27th, 2015 08:34 AM

Arri Mini fighter?

BMCC killer?

At least one thing we know is that they won't be using the 3k for $3000 slogan again!

Cliff Totten March 27th, 2015 11:46 AM

Anybody know who RED buys its image sensors from? This might be one of the best kept industry secrets.

Shaun Roemich March 27th, 2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1881058)
Anybody know who RED buys its image sensors from? This might be one of the best kept industry secrets.

<Sarcasm mode on>

They are handmade by a man who lives in an underground bunker. It is said he has never seen the light of day and has no idea what "colour" means.

His sweat is currency in Latvia and he has never heard the word "potato" spoken out loud...

All we know is...

HE'S CALLED OLEG!

<Sarcasm mode never REALLY turned off>

Cliff Totten March 27th, 2015 12:24 PM

Very nice!

And this is exactly what RED would love for us all to actually believe.

If i had to guess, that guy's name is really "Sony".

Rakesh Malik March 27th, 2015 06:11 PM

My guess would have been Dalsa, but in light of how many cameras these days have Sony sensors in them, I suppose a Sony sensor in a Red camera wouldn't be surprising any more. :)

Sabyasachi Patra March 28th, 2015 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1881058)

I don't think RED has ever officially mentioned about their sensor supplier the way ARRI has officially thanked their own supplier.

Some say RED's sensor is done by TowerJazz TowerJazz: Company Overview

Search in linkedin may give more hints.

Sabyasachi Patra March 28th, 2015 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1881039)
Arri Mini fighter?

BMCC killer?

At least one thing we know is that they won't be using the 3k for $3000 slogan again!

It is interesting to hear the term "BMCC killer".

RED was the original Rebel announcing the 17K RED One and was supposed to follow it up with the 3k for $3K Scarlet. It is a law of nature that Rebel's grow/mature/mellow down with passage of time and some other Rebel's take their place. The Rebel becomes the establishment. BMCC despite their delays, goofups are probably the closest to the Rebel tag now. And the previous rebel persecuting or expected to hunt down the present Rebel is what we see happen. Hope the so-called rebels continue to shake down the industry so that the consumers benefit.

Dylan Couper March 29th, 2015 10:41 AM

I meant it purely tongue in cheek. :)

But I'd love to see Red with a product in the $5-7k (complete) market like the original Scarlet was meant to be.